This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?
    When I try to post a text which includes 'special' letters/characters (such as Western letters with a diacritical mark, kanji and hiragana), those 'special' letters/characters tend to become garbled letters or question marks, even if I set the web browser to Unicode (UTF-8) encoding.

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
      ?
      When I try to post a text which includes 'special' letters/characters (such as Western letters with a diacritical mark, kanji and hiragana), those 'special' letters/characters tend to become garbled letters or question marks, even if I set the web browser to Unicode (UTF-8) encoding.
      Unfortunately, there is something not quite right with how vBulletin handles text, especially coming from Macs and from computers outside of North America that are running international versions of Windows and such. Special characters simply do not show up correctly. I'm not sure if there is any kind of fix available.
      Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
      Scratchy for Tama is angry.
      Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
        Unfortunately, there is something not quite right with how vBulletin handles text, especially coming from Macs and from computers outside of North America that are running international versions of Windows and such. Special characters simply do not show up correctly. I'm not sure if there is any kind of fix available.
        Thank you for the response.
        Buckeye posted Japanese characters (the original titles of anime written in Japanese characters) on the General Anime Discussions forum before the transition from the old fora to the new fora, and those Japanese characters are displayed correctly also on the new forum. So if a special character was posted on the forum before the transition, is it displayed correctly on the new forum, I wonder?
        When I post a rômaji word (romanised Japanese word) which includes a long vowel on the new forum, letters with the circumflex seem to work better than letters with the macron, maybe because the letters with the circumflex are part of the alphabet of French, which is a modern Western language, whilst the letters with the macron usually remind Western people of Latin, which is used less frequently in the Occident now.
        On a side note, French-speaking people seem to tend to use the letters with the circumflex when they type romanised Japanese words in Japan-related text, probably because the letters with the circumflex, which are part of the French alphabet, are more convenient than the letters with the macron printing/telecommunication-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post

There should be, considering the old forum software handled it correctly and was vBulletin. I'm not going to, like, flip out and leave because I can't use smart quotes or em-dashes, but this is an issue I'd ardently like to see fixed.

Typographical ellipses, now. That might be the straw.
          I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
          Stephen King

Comment

The feature I miss the most from the previous forum is the "Activity Since Last Visit". I'm not entirely sure what it was called but the gist is you could see all the threads that had been posted in since your last visit to the forum in bold and then a line cut off after that. I used that feature a lot and I'm not sure if it is still here in some capacity or not?

Other than that, my second biggest gripe is the small text on both options for style. The overabundance of white is also very distracting.

On the plus side, pages load quickly and the quote system works without opening a tab now.
            My Anime List - My Collection
            Avatar: Kirino Kousaka & Ruri "Kuro Neko" Gokou from the anime Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo).
            Adroc Thurston - "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."
            Anemone - "So many faces looking like they're thinking even though they're not. So disgusting."

Comment

An ad has appeared inside my post. Is that supposed to happen?
              https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/for...-anime-limited

Comment

Originally posted by Jin12 View Post
                For topics with a lot of pages, there's no final/last page arrow option, like there used to on the old forums and instead you have to type in the number of the last page and it can become a pain.
                This.

When entering a thread, it always takes me to the first page. Could a "Take me to the end" be added?

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post

This.

When entering a thread, it always takes me to the first page. Could a "Take me to the end" be added?
                  there already is that but the problem is its right at the bottom of the screen

Yea there's a lot of things that Need to be tweaked

i did quite like the look and Feel of the old forum

Comment

Originally posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
                    I'm pretty sure it isn't, but there are lots of jitters and stuff that need to be fixed. After all, this is a software update after the old forum has gone years without one, so there are bound to be quite a lot of problems that just need to be debugged as things happen. Anyway, this new forum has a much different feel seeing that lots of features that I have been utilizing aren't there (or at the very least not turned on if it hasn't been removed). And not to mention, that sidebar on the right just doesn't feel right.
                    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
                    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
                    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
                    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post

This.

Just click the >> button of the last person who replied to the thread. That automatically takes you to the last post.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
                        The ad placement/location seems to be off. I'm guessing they should appear like they did in the old forum, instead of inside your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post

Just click the >> button of the last person who replied to the thread. That automatically takes you to the last post.
                          Aha! Thank you very much! Perhaps I need new glasses...

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post

That one always takes you to the last post, but if you want the first unread post, then click the button with the 2 downward facing chevrons to the left of a thread title you've previously read:

V
                            V

If you haven't read a thread before, you will not see this button.

Comment

Noticed that the images on the weekly caption contest vanish from Safari on my ipad after a few days.

Comment

Ugh, any way to turn off the right column garbage (Birthdays, Tags, Channels) inside every thread? It really cuts down on the width of the posts to something like 600 pixels wide, which is pretty ridiculous when most everyone now has HD monitors 2K pixels wide. You can collapse the windows, but it still doesn't free up any posting width.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X