Widgets Magazine

Consolidating Threads in Movie & TV forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolidating Threads in Movie & TV forums?

Widgets Magazine
    Have you ever considered going through and consolidating down some of the redundant threads in the Movie & TV forums? I can understand wanting individual threads for big developments, but do we really need separate ones for every trailer, every release of concept art, and every piece of gossip? For example, right now, we have three different threads for the Flash's costume:

The Flash’ Gets Costume Reveal
    Full Costume Revealed For ‘The Flash’
    ‘The Flash’ Reveals On-Set Costumed Images

While I'm sure it'll be a good show, isn't that a bit of an overkill? Plus, it makes it hard to keep a discussion going, and easy to lose track of a point you (or someone else) made earlier.
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Re: Consolidating Threads in Movie & TV forums?

You understand, of course, that those are site-generated threads created from and for front page news articles. Chris is not actually creating these threads; he's only posting news items for each one, and the forum, linked with the main page, automatically generates them. It's the same way all threads that link to front page articles are made (reviews, anime news items, etc.).

Your question, then, is why aren't all of these news items consolidated into one. And the reason they are not is because each is made based on a new press release. So your question may further be: why doesn't the studio in question wait to release this information all together? And that, you will have to ask them.

So, no, these sorts of connected threads will not be consolidated. If it is if some concern, I might suggest creating a consolidated thread yourself that collects the information from these disparate threads.
    Last edited by bctaris; 03-12-2014, 11:54 PM.
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
      You understand, of course, that those are site-generated threads created from and for front page news articles. Chris is not actually creating these threads; he's only posting news items for each one, and the forum, linked with the main page, automatically generates them. It's the same way all threads that link to front page articles are made (reviews, anime news items, etc.).

Your question, then, is why aren't all of these news items consolidated into one. And the reason they are not is because each is made based on a new press release. . .
      Okay, but as moderators, don't you guys still have the ability to merge threads? Or did the developers drop that tool from the latest version of the software?

I don't know how cumbersome a process that is (assuming its still possible), but is it really so impractical to go through . . . oh, once every week or two, and consolidate the auto-generated threads together?

. . . If it is if some concern, I might suggest creating a consolidated thread yourself that collects the information from these disparate threads.
      Hmm . . . I suppose I could do that, but that seems kind of counterproductive. Using my earlier example, sure, I could create a "The Flash News" mega-thread. But (with regards to the costume example), that just means there'd be four threads to discuss the costume photos in, instead of the current three. Not exactly conducive to conversation . . .
      "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

If it were an issue of several threads on the same subject clustering near the top of the forum, it might be something that needed to be addressed, but taking a look at the Television forum, it's not like those three are right next to each other, piled at the top and choking off other content. So I don't really see what the problem is.

Redundancy happens in the forums all the times, not just from auto-posted news items. The entire Cover Art forum is redundant on so many levels…but since people like it, redundant is the norm.
        Avatar: Hinagiku Katsura from Hayate the Combat Butler.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
        Casual

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
          Okay, but as moderators, don't you guys still have the ability to merge threads? Or did the developers drop that tool from the latest version of the software?

I don't know how cumbersome a process that is (assuming its still possible), but is it really so impractical to go through . . . oh, once every week or two, and consolidate the auto-generated threads together?
          Sure, we can merge threads. However, not everyone enters the forums through the category link; some people use the links from the news articles which posted said threads. In order to not break these links without having to have every article checked and redone, we would have to leave permanent redirect links up, which will show up, surprise, in the forum just as it is now. Net amount of streamlining that would happen from a merger: zero. Not a good use of time, if you ask me. Furthermore, if something has a small update (and let's face it, LOTS of companies love releasing press releases for small updates), trying to merge threads where there may be speculation about something later confirmed causes a disjointed feeling, and will get some wiseass responses from people who only selectively read things. (I'd like to think we've gotten rid of many of those problem people, but a few still remain.)

So, yeah, TL;DR, no, they're not going to be combined.

Hmm . . . I suppose I could do that, but that seems kind of counterproductive. Using my earlier example, sure, I could create a "The Flash News" mega-thread. But (with regards to the costume example), that just means there'd be four threads to discuss the costume photos in, instead of the current three. Not exactly conducive to conversation . . .
          Sure you could. And, like you say, it could be seen as exasperating the problem. A thread as such could be a detriment, again, for the reasons I cited above with other news updates. Besides, it would offer nothing new from what already exists, and would probably be ignored. If, on the other hand, you wanted to create something with a distinct difference, perhaps, say, in that example, a comparison to earlier designs (be it comic, prior movie, or whatnot), that would warrant a discussion to go another direction, and might be more expansive. What everything boils down to is, what do people want to talk about? If people don't want to talk about costumes, the threads will fall away as newer ones are posted. If you were to post something that interests people, you'll find it sticking around a bit longer...
          -dunno001
          -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
          -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X