Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reviews of streamed shows

Widgets Magazine
    Not that the reviews are poor or anything like that, I just wonder if they're useful to a large number of people. I understand that streaming is something a lot of people do, but it seems like most of the reviews just get 0 replies and clog up the page. I'll be honest, I look at the official site reviews for the stuff that you buy--DVD, manga, book, game, theatrical film, whatever. But it seems to me that one doesn't really need a review for streamed shows--especially for individual episodes--since most streamings are free and all you have to do is go look yourself. There is no money at stake here if a show ends up a waste of your time.

I don't object to discussion about every new episode or anything like that, long running general discussion threads about each new show available online are quite informative to me. I just find it a bit of a chore to wade through all the official streaming reviews just to find the DVD or manga review I was looking for, especially if those reviews aren't commanding any visible discussion.

Anyway, I'm just throwing it out there. I'm not suggesting they should be eliminated, especially if indeed they are popular with most of the posters here.
    Last edited by llj; 06-29-2011, 06:02 PM.

Re: The reviews of streamed shows

It's true that there will be some review threads that don't get any real posts at all. That being said, just because a person isn't replying to a thread doesn't mean they're not reading the thread. I myself have lurked in some threads including review ones. Also, even if I've already seen a show before, I might still read the review thread for it. Heck, I've actually looked at reviews for shows I don't care for just out of curiosity....

In any case, to be perfectly honest, it shouldn't be that hard to wade through things. It's just a matter of checking often enough. If you check once a day or so, then you shouldn't have to go back that many pages. It's only if you ignore the thing for days or even worse weeks that it becomes problematic.

Also, I like the idea of things posted to the forums because I check forums more often than I check the main site believe it or not.
    "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
    Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Originally posted by llj View Post
      Not that the reviews are poor or anything like that, I just wonder if they're useful to a large number of people.
      In short, I find them useful (at least to the series that I'm watching).
      I understand that streaming is something a lot of people do, but it seems like most of the reviews just get 0 replies and clog up the page.
      Participation is nice and all, but it's not the only factor. I would have to say the site traffic in relations to how many times the article/review is more important.
      I'll be honest, I look at the official site reviews for the stuff that you buy--DVD, manga, book, game, theatrical film, whatever. But it seems to me that one doesn't really need a review for streamed shows--especially for individual episodes--since most streamings are free and all you have to do is go look yourself. There is no money at stake here if a show ends up a waste of your time.
      I strongly disagree. A good chunk of the simulcast series from Crunchyroll are not free until a week later. These reviews can draw more traffic to the site. These reviews can perhaps be looked back as comparison/reference if the respective license get fully licensed.
      I just find it a bit of a chore to wade through all the official streaming reviews just to find the DVD or manga review I was looking for, especially if those reviews aren't commanding any visible discussion.
      There are specific RSS feeds that you can utilize (under the Stay Connected drop down menu on the main webpage). And also under Anime/Manga, you can go to the specific type of reviews.
      Last edited by WTK; 06-29-2011, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I get what you're saying Tenshi. I just wonder if reviewing individual episodes of a show is something a lot of people would be interested in. I'm a One Piece fan, but I would be hard pressed to read a review for each episode of the show, let alone comment on it. I mean, if you're reviewing 10 streamed shows in a season multiplied by a review for every episode of each of those 10 shows, you could have 100 reviews in no time and I just wonder if it's all really worth it for Chris to do that if his audience isn't there.

When you say you check reviews for shows you don't care for, do you mean that you may read a review of the first 5 episodes or so to get a feel for the series? But someone who's not into One Piece, would they read a review singularly devoted to, say, some random episode 425? The streaming reviews assume you're already following the show, so there's no context for those who are aren't. I don't see how reviews of individual episodes can possibly sway non-One Piece fans to watch the show.

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. Would it be more effective if Chris reviewed streamed episodes in batches? I can see the purpose in that. A poster might say, "Are episodes 1-7, about 2+ hours of my time, worth me going over to watch them?" And then they can go over and read Chris' review. But reviewing every single episode seems counterproductive to Chris' time, and I'm sure he's a busy man.

WTK wrote:

I strongly disagree. A good chunk of the simulcast series from Crunchyroll are not free until a week later. These reviews can draw more traffic to the site. These reviews can perhaps be looked back as comparison/reference if the respective license get fully licensed.
        I just wonder if it's better to wait it out for 1-7 episode block reviews. I get that episodes get released week by week, I just wonder if there's a better way to do it.

There are specific RSS feeds that you can utilize (under the Stay Connected drop down menu on the main webpage). And also under Anime/Manga, you can go to the specific type of reviews.
        Okay, cool. I didn't notice it.
        Last edited by llj; 06-29-2011, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by llj View Post
          I'm a One Piece fan, but I would be hard pressed to read a review for each episode of the show, let alone comment on it.
          You can use the article tag for One Piece: http://www.fandompost.com/tag/one-piece/. It will yield all of the articles that mentioned One Piece (not just the reviews).
          I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. Would it be more effective if Chris reviewed streamed episodes in batches? I can see the purpose in that. A poster might say, "Are episodes 1-7, about 2+ hours of my time, worth me going over to watch them?" And then they can go over and read Chris' review. But reviewing every single episode seems counterproductive to Chris' time, and I'm sure he's a busy man.
          I personally like the single episode reviews better (again for series that I'm watching). There is more details than the multi-episodes route. It's easier for me to follow along.

Comment

Thanks for the help WTK. You probably pointed out what most posters would consider obvious, but I tend to miss the obvious at times.

Comment

I personally have little use for them as far as deciding if I'm going to watch the next episode or not. If I really like the series, I will do so, and want to go in on a completely blank slate. It is sometimes interesting to read the commentary on the episode after I've seen it. Don't usually have time to do that, though. There are rare occasions when I look at the reviews of shows I haven't tried yet to see if it may be of interest, or have stalled on to see if I want to continue.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X