Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fandom Forums FAQs and Guides Thread

Widgets Magazine
    There have been quite a few questions recently on how to do certain things on the Fandom Post forums, so I've decided to start a thread where people can ask those questions.

If you want to know how to do something, just ask.

If you can answer a question, then please do.

And if you want to post a guide on how to use a part of the forum software - again post it.

I'll try to collate the most useful FAQs and Guides in this top post.
    Last edited by Jun Kuga; 06-25-2011, 08:04 PM.
    Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
    Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Re: The Fandom Forums FAQs and Guides Thread

To get us started, I've made a very basic How to navigate the Blogs homepage image.

Comment

Advanced Blog Tips

Posting entries isn't all there is to the blogs. You can customise your own pages and even help guide people where they need to go. Just go to "Blog Settings" as otlined above and follow these guides on what each of the categories does:

Edit Title and Description

Most blogs are called "Soandso's Blog" by default, but you can personalise yours by changing the title to something more you. You can also write a header for your blog, which will appear at the top of your blog as people browse it. Posting images is fine here, but remember to follow the unwritten rules when doing so, and if it annoys people, they just wont read your blog.

Organize Sidebar

The sidebar in the blogs is where the nuts and bolts of your blog looks. You can arrange the order that things appear, from the list of recent comments, to the list of tags you've used. You can also create your own custom sidebar areas, useful for posting links and general information you want people to see wherever they go in your blog.

Edit Custom Pages

Custom pages are extra posts that are linked to from your blog. They can either appear at the top of every page or underneath your profile in the sidebar. These can be used for whatever you want really, but could come in handy for things you want people to read, but wont in the sidebar since it'd take up too much space.

Permissions & Privacy

Here you can set up how people will view and use your blog. You can make your blog read-only, or set it to let you check comments before they go active. You can change the people who can read your blog, and change those who can post comments.

Blog Statistics

Once you have a blog you can look at how it's performing. See how many entries you've posted, and how many people have replied or even read your blog.

Manage Categories

This is the final option that matters. Here you can set up the categories you can put your blog entries in. Categorising entries makes things much neater, and helps people find specific entries better. The categories will appear in the sidebar once you've started posting.

You can ignore the other three categories as they don't really change anything within the blogs.

The last thing I will mention is what you can do when you're actually publishing a new blog entry. It actually works very much like a normal thread you'd post in the forum, but it has a few extra options.

First of all, you're allowed to post images. This is a great thing, but don't go overboard. Any images in the first few lines of the entry should be small in both size and dimensions since they will appear on the main blog portal. After that it's fair game. Try to keep images less than 600 pixels wide, since any more will cause browsing the blog entry akward. Also remember that just because you can post an image, doesn't mean you must post one.

Another thing to consider is that the forum rules still apply in the blogs. Religion and politics are still no go areas, as is dicussing how to download things illegaly. Use your common sense and it'll be fine.

Once you've written your entry and given it a title, don't forget to tag it and categorise it. Tags should be different to categories, such as posting a NEWS category item about Funimation licencing Fullmetal Alchemist. You could categorise it as 'News', but tag it 'Funimation', 'Licence', and 'Fullmetal Alchemist'. You can also change the basic options in the post new entry, so if you want one entry to be private, or read only, you can do that here.

Finally is the publish status. It may seem obvious to post a blog entry immediately, but you can also save it to post on a set date, or save it as a draft to post when you feel like it. To publish an entry previouly saved as a draft, just edit the draft and change the publish status to "Publish Now". Save the entry and it's posted.

I hope that's answered a lot of questions about the blogs, and I look forward to seeing you there!

Comment

I've not been able to figure that one out yet myself. I'll let you know when I do though.

Comment

Thanks for starting this FAQ. Now I can ask this question:

What does Rep Power represent and how is it calculated?
          Currently Watching | MAL Profile
          Let's make anime great again!

Comment

I don't know exactly, but it could do with how much reputation you can give someone for making a good post.

Comment

Originally posted by bci110 View Post
              Some info can be found here: link. And a bit more here as well: link.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                Thanks for the links, though I don't see it on my User CP nor do I have the option to toggle it on/off.
                Currently Watching | MAL Profile
                Let's make anime great again!

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                  Thanks for the links, though I don't see it on my User CP nor do I have the option to toggle it on/off.
                  I would think that it maybe something that is disabled. I guess that would be something that Chris would have to comment on to know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Betenoire
                    Anyone have an exact count of spaces or any other trick for how far down to post pics so they aren't on the main page cluttering it?
                    Wait, let me test that for a minute here using the A Channel Edition 12 entry. First thing, I've discovered is that you can not start an entry with just dead space. You need at least one line. However once you make that first line, it will start registering the existence of the spaces.

Next, I tried the idea of going Line 1, Line 2, etc. Up to 13 lines just saying that. Even in that situation the "Images" would still appear. However when I put back in the original text I had, it only took four lines to cause the cut-off point. Or maybe not. See the thing is this. Those four lines are the result of "space". If I remove enough of that space to change the four lines into two lines, it still ends at the same word.

So I think I understand now. It shows a certain amount of "characters" before the cut-off point happens! The "spaces" used can make a difference in terms of how much text is shown before the cut-off point, but the amount of text is more important. I think space between letters on the same line matters more than having lines of empty space. If I remove the line of space, the cut-off point remains the same. If I remove the space between words, the cut-off point changes. Hence my conclusion.

I think ultimately the trick is this. Either find something to ramble about it or rely on a preset Intro line that you've already confirmed to be long enough to make a cut-off point.

I suppose I could count the exact amount of text , but I'm lazy. Plus, I've edited the entry enough times already and have probably confused anyone checking the blogs that might not understand it was all a test. Still like I said, it's definitely the text that matters more.
                    "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                    Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

As its Christmas..how do I make a donation to TFP. Clicking on the red curvy arrow just takes me to its posted page, i.e where the image is.

Comment

Rather than making a donation - you can subscribe.

Comment

Thanks. Done. Merry Christmas Chris & TFP.

Comment

Do automatic monthly payments work, or should manual payments be made instead?

I have a monthly subscription reminder, but my monthly donations will be made thru a PP pre-approved arrangement.

Will the site take account of this, or remove my status if payments are not done made thru the TFP page? In short, should I cancel the pre-approved PP scheme & make manual payments each month?

Comment

I figure this would be the best place to post this giving my limited options considering my problem.

For some reason I can't make a new thread. Rather than using the contact us submission on the main site since this is just a forum related problem, I post my query here on the forums but considering I can only reply to posts I figure this thread would be the best place by the looks of it.

Now I only discovered this problem recently as I was going to make one in glitch disc section regarding a subtitle problem on Fist of the North Star Collection 3 which I just started watching that I'm having. Now I seem to be able to do everything else fine, reply to posts, messages, ect. But according to the posting permissions at the bottom of the forums I'm not allowed to and I have no idea why. Now granted I've only ever tend to lurk on any forum I'm in so I hardly ever post anything unless I have something to say and been out of touch with the anime community for a quite some time. I've been trying to find a answer searching the forums here in regards maybe to a rule change or something I'm not aware of but haven't found anything. Again it's been a long long time since I last posted so I could have missed something.

Could anyone provide any help? It would be appreciated, thank you

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X