Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, so Star Trek: Discovery season 1 did drop on iTunes, and I did buy it, and I just finished watching it, and I'm still not going to pay for CBS All Access just to watch season 2 as soon as it starts, but goddamn did I love it! The cast are amazing, and the characters they play are easily the best since Our Heroes on Deep Space Nine. Is it as good as DS9, the true high point of all Trek? Not yet. TNG didn't grow the beard until season 2; DS9 until season 3; VOY never really did. But does it have potential to reach such a high? I think so. It helps that they've got all that Netflix international licensing money so they can afford to spend $8.5 million per episode; it helps that they're no longer under the pressure the old crews had to produce 26 episodes per season.

But it also helps that they've got Burnham, Saru, Stamets, and Captain Killy ? uh, that is, Cadet Tilly. (Spoiler alert failure confirmed!)
    I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
    Stephen King

Comment

So I'm liking the Thirteenth Doctor (Doctor Who) so far. I don't see much of an overall plot arc developing (at least not yet), but I like Jodie Whittaker's take on the character. Not sure how I feel about her companions, but they could grow on me.

Anyone else watching?
      "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

On a side note, SyFy is showing a bunch of animated Christmas specials right now. At the moment, its Super Hero Adventures (a.k.a. "How Loki Stole Christmas"), where the Avengers try to stop Loki and Ymir from kidnapping Santa Claus. Groot and Rocket Raccoon just met Mrs. Claus.

Up next is the He-Man/She-Ra Christmas, where Skeletor tries to ruin the holiday.
        Last edited by One Vorlon; 05-06-2021, 12:42 AM.
        "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

Comment

Is it just me, or does Discovery's Secret of Skinwalker Ranch feel like its setting up Lovecraft's story, "The Mound"?

Also - who the heck names their place, "Skinwalker Ranch"? That would be like calling your farm, "Satanist Fields".

Comment

I'm rewatching the early seasons of Face Off (on demand). I miss the all day marathons SyFy used to have. At the moment, they're doing animal/plant hybrids, and it's just neat.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X