This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Are You Watching?

So I caught a couple of episodes of Axe Cop. . . and I'm not entirely sure I understand. Is the creator animating the stories his kids came up with, or something like that?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

For a change of pace from the network TV shows, I've been spending the past 12 weeks or so watching on Crunchyroll the second season of Wakako-Zake live-action. It's an original adaptation of the anime short form series (And manga) that stars Rina Takeda as Wakako Murasaki, a 26-year-old office worker who likes to visit various eateries for good food & drink after work. With 20 minutes more per episode to work with, we not only get to check out each place she goes to (Each of them are actual bars & eating places in & around Tokyo with the addresses & operating hours for each given at the end of every episode) but we also get to see the office where Wakako works at & meet her co-workers as well. Crunchyroll now has Season 1 available along with Season 2 & I can definitely say that if you liked the anime then you might like this show too. Highly recommended.
      Last edited by Jimmie M; 05-02-2016, 05:11 PM.
      Avatar: Kanako Mita (Princess Nine)
      FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
      Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

Currently watching the Daredevil series on Netflix, and like it's been mentioned here, it is really good, it is much darker and grittier than the MCU movies despite the fact that it is part of the MCU continuity, which makes it quite interesting to me, shows how the MCU can have a lot of variety.
        Currently on episode 8 of season 1, definitely looking forward to season 2 with the Punisher and Elektra.

Comment

Enjoyed Strange Things and catching up the series The 100....Started Season 3 but kinda stopped....feels different than the last two seasons.
          Watching: Fate/Zero, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Ozuma, Sekirei

Thank you Sentai for Fate/Stay Night : UBW
          Proud to Pre-Order Fate/Zero Box 2 on BD!!!!

Comment

I've kind of got my eye on the new all-star season of Face Off, actually.
            "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

Comment

Recently finished Beware the Batman and it's actually refreshing because it feels like it was trying to be a different Batman this time around. I'm especially glad we got a break from characters like the Joker for example. Seriously mixing things up a bit does help.
              "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"

Comment

Cartoon Network is showing the premiere of Rick & Morty's third season, and its great. Maybe a little morbid, but . . . hey, great use of a Shoney's!

Plus drawing and quartering aliens counts as patriotism!

Comment

The new season of Dr. Who has been interesting. So far, they've made a clean break with past seasons. No mention of River Song, Oswin, that immortal girl . . .

Instead, they're starting from scratch. One of the students at a university gets curious about one of her professors. If the records are to be believed, he's been teaching there for over fifty years. And yet, no one knows his name. They just call him "the Doctor" . . . .

. . . And there's something locked in the basement.

Not sure how I feel about the spinoff, Class, though. Reminds more of a scifi take on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or maybe Teen Wolf. A bunch of high school students find out that they're school is built on an interdimensional rift, and aliens keep crawling out . . .

Its not bad, but they're already telegraphing how the season will end, and I'm not sure how they plan on keeping it going afterwards.

Oh, and there's news on the second season of Shannara. Its moving to Spike TV, and it still sounds like an original plot .. .although its still possible that they're cannibalizing elements from The Sword of Shannara and Wishsong.

Comment

Been watching the new season of Forged in Fire, it's about the only live action show I try to keep up with!

Comment

Just started Penny Dreadful. Interesting show . . . reminds me a bit of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and strikes me as what Universal is trying to do with their "Dark University" shared universe of movies. A vampire hunter hires a promising young doctor to do an autopsy on a strange corpse - a young doctor by the name of Victor Frankenstein. That sort of thing.

Comment

Really enjoying the new season of Rick and Morty - "Death Stalkers! Bring me their flesh-leather!"

SyFy's Blood Drive has been interesting, too. I'm several episodes behind, but so far, there's been a lot of campy fun. Almost an R-rated version of the old Goosebumps series. Cars that eat people, vomit cannons, murderous 1950s-ish couples . . .

Comment

The Teen Titans Go special, "The Night Begins to Shine" is just so gloriously Eighties. A sequel of sorts to the episode, "40, 40, 20", it builds on the idea of Cyborg's favorite song being magic . . .and its just . . . just so Eighties. The art style, the music, the seemingly nonsensical crossovers . . .

And once he summons Fallout Boy and Ceelo to the other realm, to battle for the soul of Eighties rock'n'roll . . . How often do you get to see a cyborg polar bear throwdown with a giant scorpion mech?

(Cartoon Network has started showing reruns of the original - non-goofy - Teen Titans, too)

Comment

Been watching The Orville, and so far it's a thumbs up!

Comment

Just watched Star Trek: Discovery, episode 1. I think I love it. I think I'll buy the season once it's up on iTunes, though, because CBS's idea of "limited commercials" in their app is a goddamn joke. I've already disabled auto-renew on that subscription so I don't have to pay.
                              I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
                              Stephen King

Comment

Over the weekend, I caught a couple episodes of the new Ducktales series - and its not bad.

The premise is similar to the old show: Donald has to leave his nephews with their eccentric (and incredibly wealthy) great uncle (Scrooge McDuck), who proceeds to take them on zany adventures. And all the classic characters are there, albeit slightly tweaked: the kids have been aged up to roughly junior high level, Mrs. Beakley now has a British nanny vibe, Duckworth is dead (spoilers!) . . . I particularly like how they've fleshed out the Beagle Boys - they've got more of an anthropomorphic junkyard dog vibe to 'em now, with an agenda beyond being the villain of the week.

And all the hallmarks of the classic show are there. Gyro is busy constructing the Gizmo Duck armor, the boys are constantly pulling out their Junior Woodchuck Guidebooks . . . if you were a fan of the old show, I think you'll be able to jump right in. And the new characters - like a new antagonist for Gyro (a flashy internet startup guy) - come across as natural extensions of the setting, rather than just tacked-on extras.

There's also the potential for a stealth reboot of Darkwing Duck as part of the new show, too. In this version of Duckberg, "Darkwing Duck" is an old tv series that Launchpad grew up idolizing. And its not hard to picture him getting bonked on the head, only to spend an entire episode dreaming that he's Darkwing's sidekick (like in the old show). Or writing Ice King-esque fan fiction (a la Adventure Time), inserting himself in the plot.

So, overall, the new Ducktales feels like its being written by people well-versed in the setting, and who want to stay true to the show's roots.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X