X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are You Watching?

Widgets Magazine
    Like the equivalents in the Manga/General Anime/English Track forums, this is a catch-all for thoughts on TV shows that you're watching at the moment, have recently watched or are looking to watch. There's no format or minimum requirement involved & it's not limited to broadcast/cable as thoughts on shows on DVD, BD & legal streaming sources such as Hulu & Netflix are also welcome.

This does not trump dedicated discussion threads & review threads for any show, new or upcoming. In fact, we encourage folks to create and/or participate in those threads so if you want to add your comments to those, by all means do so!
    Last edited by Jimmie M; 10-19-2015, 08:10 PM.
    Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Natsumi Tsujimoto & Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)
    Blu-ray.com / MAL /Games / Figures
    Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Re: What Are You Watching?

Here's a bit of what I'm watching at the moment:

Streaming

Powers (PSN): This show is the PlayStation Network's first original series (Complete season is free for PS Plus members) & is based on the comic book of the same name by the show's creator Brian Michael Bendis. It's set in a world where people with superpowers are commonplace & centers around former "Power" LAPD detective Christian Walker (Sharlto Copley) & his partner Deena Pilgrim (Susan Heyward) as they deal with crimes involving superhumans while working out of the LAPD's Powers Division. It's not exactly Agents of SHIELD but it has been interesting so far through 7 of the scheduled 10 episodes for this first season.

Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix): The first of at least 4 Marvel series that Netflix will be carrying over the next 2 years & I can honestly say that I'm sold after watching the first 2 episodes. This show does have continuity with the Marvel Cinematic Universe (There's a reference to the Battle of New York in the first episode & another to Thor later on in the series) but it has a darker & grittier setting being in NYC's Hell's Kitchen. Charlie Cox does a good job here as Matt Murdock/Daredevil & I'm looking forward to seeing how Vincent D'Onofrio will do as Wilson Fisk aka the Kingpin. It's already been renewed for a second season as well.

House of Cards (Netflix): The third season has begun & it's not exactly smooth sailing so far for President Underwood & First Lady Claire. Good start to the season so far.

Broadcast/Cable

iZombie: This is more than likely going to be the only series involving zombies that I'll be watching this season (I might give The Walking Dead a try over the summer though). Rose McIver does a good job here as Liv Moore, a former medical resident who's turned into a zombie at a party. Her having brains with ramen & hot sauce in the first episode did get a chuckle out of me though. Not bad so far.

Reign: Continuing this from last season & at this point the alliance between Scotland & France has a better chance of survival than the marriage of Mary Queen of Scots & King Francis of France. It still continues to be interesting though.

The Flash: Pure fun from the first episode on. I especially like the crossovers with Arrow that they've done with the most recent one involving the mechanical bees & a helping hand for Team Flash by Ray Palmer/Atom & Felicity from Starling City. Good stuff.

Arrow: This season hasn't been quite as epic as last season but thanks to Ra's al Ghul's goading Oliver the way he is it's starting to get there. I wasn't too sure at first about the addition of Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer but now that he's become the Atom he's starting to grow on me.

Game of Thrones: The fifth season is finally here!

DVD/BD

Batman-The Complete Series (1966): I just finished the second season today & this continues to be a delight to watch with the newly remastered material.

The Flash-The Complete Series (1990-91): I finally got my hands on the complete series DVD set a couple of weeks ago & it still holds up pretty well after all this time with the pilot episode watched so far. This is a rewatch for me as I got to watch the show when it first aired on CBS & I was disappointed when it was cancelled after the one season. A nice complement to the new (And excellent) series IMO.
    Last edited by Jimmie M; 05-15-2015, 07:14 PM.
    Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Natsumi Tsujimoto & Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)

Comment

Work has been insane. Just absolutely insane. I've barely been able to think the last couple weeks, and its only now starting to calm back down again. So I haven't seen much. Been following the latest season of the Amazing Race (hot tub boats in Amsterdam!), and that's about it.

Oh, and I saw Blood Sport (with Jean Claude Van Damme) on dvd. I remember liking it more, actually. And it sounds like there's a kitten meowing at odd times throughout the audio.
      "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

The summer season is upon us so here's a bit of what I'm watching ahead of the Fall Season:

Streaming

Orange Is The New Black (Netflix): Season 3 is up & with it a regime change at the prison that has Red scheming to get back her position in the kitchen. The show is based on the book by Piper Kirnan detailing the year she spent in a women's prison for her involvement in a crime several months before. Wicked comedy.

Comic Book Men (Netflix): This show is also airing on AMC but I'm getting caught up with Seasons 2 & 3 on Netflix. It's a reality show set in & around Kevin Smith's comic book store Jay & Silent Bob's Secret Stash in Red Bank, New Jersey. Pretty fun so far.

Broadcast/Cable

Zoo (CBS): Based on the novel by James Patterson, this show centers around a disparate team of experts trying to find answers for a pandemic that has animals turning on humans all over the world. The lion attack in South Africa in the series' premiere was compelling enough to get my attention & I have to say that it's pretty good so far after 4 episodes.

Under the Dome (CBS): Season 3 has begun with Marg Helgenburg joining the cast & implementing the agenda that the dome seemingly has. It's based on the novel by Stephen King & continues to be a good watch.

Extant (CBS): Even after saving the world (At least for now), Molly still has battles to fight concerning her robot son & the remaining threat of alien invasion. Halle Berry still makes this show go as Molly & is well worth the price of admission.

The Last Ship (TNT): A cure has been found for the epidemic but Captain Chandler & the crew of the Nathan James now have a rogue UK submarine & its fanatic commander to deal with here in the show's second season. Good stuff continuing from last summer.

Falling Skies (TNT): It's no more playing around for the 2nd Mass as the show's 5th & final season has begun. Hopefully we'll get a good finale at the end.
        Last edited by Jimmie M; 08-23-2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I'm enjoying the latest seasons of Face Off and Skin Wars. The recent wedding challenge was a neat idea, although I wish they'd gone with something other than "whimsically macabre" for the theme.

Oddly enough, I'm also enjoying VH1's Dating Naked. Normally, I don't care much for reality dating shows, but watching everyone cope with the mandatory nudity is just amusing enough to keep me interested.
          "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

Comment

Just caught up on the new season of Adult Swim's Rick & Morty . . . and Episode 3 ("Auto Erotic Assimilation") is hilarious. Unity, an evil alien hive mind, invites Rick, Morty, and Summer (Morty's older sister) to its latest conquest . . . and, of course, all heck breaks lose. Such a glorious trainwreck . . .

Spoiler ->Rick is the bad influence. Not the evil alien hive mind. Rick.

Comment

Tonight's episode of Face Off had a great pair of special guests. "Extraterrestrial Evolution" featured a challenge inspired by the changes in the Klingon makeup between the original Star Trek and Next Generation, the competitors had to create a '60s era-style alien for the immunity challenge, and then "evolve" it into a more complicated, modern version.

And as they were designing the makeup, Jonathan Frakes (Commander Riker) stopped by to give the competitors his advice. But he wasn't the guest judge. No, that honor went to Michael Dorn . . . better known as Lieutenant Worf, the signature Klingon from the franchise.

Comment

Cartoon Network's showing Total Drama: The Ridonculous Race . . . and, to be honest, I'm not impressed. Its little more than an animated version of The Amazing Race, and shows none of the hallmarks of the franchise.

I mean, the original series involved an oddball cast of contestants, a slightly shady production company that had taken every shortcut (legal or otherwise), a narcissistic sociopath for a host. . .

But this new entry . . . a couple of the original characters (Owen the eating machine, blasé Noah, and party guy Geoff) have turned up, but that's about it. All of the stunts have been properly financed (with safety measures!), the host is normal, they haven't been summarily banned from any of the countries . . . Heck, we're ten episodes in, and there's still no sign of Bigfoot!

And I'm just left wondering. While I like The Amazing Race, I don't see the point in doing an animated knock-off, if you're not going to take advantage of the increased flexibility it gives you?

Comment

Liking Hellevator, GSN's new "haunted house"-themed game show.Reminds me a bit of Estate of Panic (or maybe Fear Factor). A trio of competitors have to solve three challenges, followed by the Labyrinth (scavenger hunt), all themed after a particular ghost story. And they spice each challenge up with classic scares, just to add a bit more panache.

For example, the first episode revolved around a murderous undertaker. One challenge involved collecting organs from partially vivisected victims, trying to get exactly 12 lbs. of organs on a scale. And the actors playing the victims screamed and begged for mercy the entire time. Other challenges had people jump out and scream, or the lights suddenly going out, or . . .

I don't know how well the show will hold up, after we get past Halloween. But for now, its wonderfully appropriate for the season.

Edit: And speaking of good seasonal shows, BBC is broadcasting a theatrical version of Rocky Horror right now, complete with the audience shouting at the characters (and the characters occasionally breaking the fourth wall to turn those comments into jokes).

Comment

Much, much happier with Capaldi as the 12th Doctor. Last season . . . last season, the writers seemed hell bent on seeing just how toxic they could make the Doctor. This season, though . . .

I don't know if someone got fired, or what, but the show's made a complete 180. Capaldi's actually likable now. The plots are more dynamic, and they're actually willing to kill off characters . . . or even let the Doctor lose!

Comment

The Fall Season is well underway now & I'm a bit late with this but here's some of what I've been watching since the season began:

Streaming

Hemlock Grove (Netflix): The show's 4th & final season is now up & TBH I'm not sure how this is going to end. It has been entertaining though.

Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netflix): The complete first season became available last month & I'm liking it after the first two episodes. It's the second series from Marvel Productions after Daredevil, also set in Hell's Kitchen & focusing on former superhero Jessica Jones (Now a PI).

Broadcast/Cable

Arrow (The CW): New villain Damien Darhk is proving to be more than a match for Team Arrow so far. One thing that I really liked this season was the appearance of Matt Ryan reprising his role of John Constantine (From last season's Constantine on NBC which was cancelled by same after 13 episodes) in the episode "Haunted". Still good stuff.

The Flash (The CW): I liked the addition of Jay Garrick/Earth 2 Flash along with new enemy (Professor) Zoom from Earth 2. The buildup to Legends of Tomorrow has begun both here & on Arrow & I'm looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

Hawaii Five-O (CBS): Continuing on from last season.

Haven (SyFy): The final season has begun. Will Nathan, Audrey & Duke finally end the Troubles that have plagued the town of Haven? We'll see.

The Muppets (ABC): This has been pretty fun so far with Miss Piggy as the host of her own latenight talk show & ex-boyfriend Kermit as the show's executive producer.

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (ABC): Continuing on from last season with Coulson's agents not only having to deal with the return of Hydra but with a rival agency as well.

Gotham (FOX): Continuing on from last season.

Sleepy Hollow (FOX): Abbie's now with the FBI but the supernatural doings continue with new adversary Pandora (Yes, the girl with the box).

Supergirl (CBS): I have to say that 3 episodes in this has been much better than I expected. Melissa Benoist has done a nice job as Kara Danvers/Supergirl & I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes (Originally set for 13 episodes but CBS has now approved a full season for the show).
                      Last edited by Jimmie M; 12-29-2015, 02:42 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie M View Post
                        Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netflix): The complete first season became available last month & I'm liking it after the first two episodes. It's the second series from Marvel Productions after Daredevil, also set in Hell's Kitchen & focusing on former superhero Jessica Jones (Now a PI).
                        I tore through this. On the same mature and gritty track as Daredevil (well, it's part 2, effectively, of the Defenders story; Luke Cage and Iron Fist the next two) but, really, I like it even better. Best single season of a supers TV show I've seen. (If only SHIELD S1 was just that second half. ) I know Luke Cage, but unlike Daredevil I wasn't familiar with the JJ comic at all; but it didn't matter. The way it fits in a street level view of the MCU (the references to the other parts, especially the Battle of New York, are often jaundiced, in fact) makes the superpowers feel more natural a part of this particular hard crime story than any other series has been able to do. (Though Marvel's series so far have all managed it pretty well.)
                        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                        TFP Forum Rules

Comment

The writers of Doctor Who are definitely laying the groundwork for a female incarnation of the Doctor. Not just because the Master's now a she (and calling herself Missy), but the season finale ("Hell Bent") made a point of showing a very masculine Time Lord regenerate as a woman. Maybe not the next incarnation, but at this point, I'd be surprised if the Fourteenth or Fifteenth Doctor wasn't a girl

Edit: And, hey, River Song's coming back for the Christmas special!

Comment

If you haven't seen it yet, CNN's documentary series, Race for the White House, is quite good. Each episode focuses on a different key election for the presidency, including:
                            • Adams vs. Jackson
                            • Lincoln vs. Douglas (et al)
                            • Truman vs. Dewey
                            • Bush vs. Dukakis
                            • Clinton vs. Bush

Comment

Season Ten of Face Off had some good makeups. And there were some . . . interesting, takes on World of Warcraft

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X