Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toonami: April Fool's Day Prank?

Widgets Magazine
    Cartoon Network has revived Toonami - at least for tonight (April 1)! And its not just reruns - a number of new episodes have been mixed in, and T.O.M. (the robot narrator) has all new lines and a review of Mass Effect 3.

The schedule so far:

12:00 a.m. Bleach
    12:30 a.m. Dragonball Z
    1:00 a.m. Gundam Wing
    1:30 a.m. Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki
    2:00 a.m. Outlaw Star
    2:30 a.m. Big O
    3:00 a.m. Yu Yu Hakusho
    3:30 a.m. Blue Sub #6
    4:00 a.m. Trigun
    4:30 a.m. Astroboy
    5:00 a.m. Gigantor

This is only a very rough approximation - Trigun is just starting now, at about 4:20 a.m. (ET), and its been running progressively later with each show. But they're running uncut episodes, with a mix of "best of" reruns and brand new episodes.

So far, there haven't been any music videos (a la Daft Punk and Gorillaz). But the promos for the new episodes (Yu Yu Hakusho, for example, showed a "Reason to Fight" from Three Kings) have been completely redone, and the voice actor who plays the robot narrator has implied that this might (just might) not be a one time deal
    Last edited by One Vorlon; 04-01-2012, 03:31 AM. Reason: "Gigantor" was just announced
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Re: Toonami: April Fool's Day Prank?

Well!

...I'm not getting any sleep tonight.
    ♫...I can see the sunlight, looking into your eyes; You're riding next to me, and we both become one...♫

Comment

Does anyone know the exact episodes that aired aside from Bleach?

Anyway, really loving this. The way they tricked people into thinking it was another The Room airing. There was also TOM actually swearing, the bumps I loved from the TOM 3 era on Saturday nights, and more. I'm in massive nostalgia mode right now.

Twitter exploded tonight. Various shows, characters, and the Toonami name itself all got on the Worldwide trends page.

Also, finally saw some shows. Shows they aired I had never seen (Note some I had intentions of seeing):
      Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
      Tenchi Muyo!: Ryo-Ohki OVA 3 (I have seen 1, but it's still on-hold. Waiting on FUNimation to get it back into print.)
      Outlaw Star
      Blue Submarine #6
      Trigun
      Astro Boy (1963)
      Gigantor

Not really worth nothing a whole lot, but the footage they use for DBZ was from the crappy Season Sets. A high point though was with YuYu Hakusho, they used the video from the Blu-rays.
      Originally posted by KT Revant View Post
      Well!

...I'm not getting any sleep tonight.
      https://p.twimg.com/ApYo1oyCEAAia-c.jpg
      Anime DVD/BD Easter Egg Index | MAL | Anime-Planet | Anime BDs | Anime DVDs | Manga | MFC

Comment

And at 5:56 a.m. (ET), the probes were recalled, and T.O.M. signed off. CN is now showing an old American animated short (something about squirrels)

Originally posted by BigOnAnime View Post
        Does anyone know the exact episodes that aired aside from Bleach?
        Gundam Wing - Episode 10, "Heero Distracted by Defeat" (unedited, w/ blood)
        Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki - "Z", I think (its the finale)
        Outlaw Star - "Maze of Despair" (episode 25)
        Big O - episode one, season one
        Yu Yu Hakusho - "A Reason to Fight", from the Three Kings arc
        Blue Sub #6 - Episode One

I'm not entirely sure about the rest - Trigun's featured the death of Wolfwood, but I don't know the name. And I kind of skipped Astroboy (something about a circus) and Gigantor

Edit: Almost forgot:
        Dragonball Z - The Battle Ends... Thanks, Son Goku" / "Save the World" (Episode 191 or 177, depending on your count) - its the one where

Spoiler ->Gohan defeats Cell, while Goku cheers him on from the afterlife

Edit 2: In case you're curious, all but two episodes were re-runs. Both Yu Yu Hakusho and Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki were new to Toonami (other, earlier arcs from both shows had been on Toonami, though).
        Last edited by One Vorlon; 04-01-2012, 05:30 AM. Reason: forgot Dragonball Z
        "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

Comment

well look the fandom can rejoice for that night of toonami one night special yea i guess you can say got be best april fool's gift ever to watch.

yea if does lead to revive runs of toonami yep indeed bring it back.
          LIVING THE ANIME DREAM
          ONCE A GS ALWAYS A GS
          WALKING THE PATH OF KLAC ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD DECADES
          MAR-KLAC-VELOUS OF ANIME WORLD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emMKAOgxaU0
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related

Comment

I got lucky with this because I've pretty much given up AS over the last two years. Lance H made a cryptic comment on twitter on Friday and I decided around 9PM last night to just clear some space off my DVR and record everything that should be in the regular AS block. So I should have the entire event recorded off to watch later today! :D BTW, I did see some of it last night and am I crazy but did some of the shows (in particular Outlaw Star) look better than they use to, almost like they used newer prints on those?

Comment

Originally posted by MeggieMay View Post
              BTW, I did see some of it last night and am I crazy but did some of the shows (in particular Outlaw Star) look better than they use to, almost like they used newer prints on those?
              In the case of Yuu Yuu Hakusho, I've heard that the print used was the one that was used on the Blu-Ray.
              Joseph Klemm
              "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
              Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
              Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
              Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

This needs to be a regular thing. If they can get rights to air newer stuff (hey Viz, Tiger and Bunny might work here!) they could mix it in with the classic Toonami stuff on there as well.

Also, the Mass Effect 3 review was a nice touch.
                "I'm sorry, did you say something? Because your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass."
                Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table~
                Avatar: Grown up Yue Ayase from Negima.

Comment

Originally posted by MeggieMay View Post
                  . . . am I crazy but did some of the shows (in particular Outlaw Star) look better than they use to, almost like they used newer prints on those?
                  I haven't heard anything official, but the blood in Gundam Wing looked better - the last time I saw the Toonami version (with blood) of GW, the blood looked more like reddish water. But that could've been because of Toonami's editing practices more than the quality of the original print.

Comment

I heard about this as well, that's pretty damn awesome. I'm a 90's kid too, so a part of me would tune in again for any Toonami stuff in the future, if nothing more then to relive that nostalgia factor once more. And finally finish Gundam Wing .

Comment

Was it my imagination, or did Right Stuf have a commercial on during Toonami/Adult Swim last night? I didn't know that Right Stuf even advertised in traditional media (magazines, tv, radio, etc.).

Originally posted by Zeether View Post
                      This needs to be a regular thing. . .
                      I hope so - the Adult Swim bumps (and trappings) never quite worked for me (not even the pool ones). Even better, though, would be if Cartoon Network restored their afternoon block - we need the new recruits, and Toonami brought in lots.

But I don't know if they'll do either - the voice actor for T.O.M. is interested in reprising the role, but (apparently) hasn't been approaced to do anything beyond last night. One hopeful sign, though: when T.O.M. was doing the "On the Next Episode" promo for the 4/8/12 episode of Bleach, he talked about the new episode of Bleach as part of "Toonami on Adult Swim". But that doesn't necessarily mean anything - the third season of Big O hasn't materialized yet, after . . . 8(?) years.

Also, the Mass Effect 3 review was a nice touch.
                      I agree - I also like that they redid the opening/promos for the newer shows, and gave T.O.M. new lines, rather than just rerunning the old ones.

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
                        Was it my imagination, or did Right Stuf have a commercial on during Toonami/Adult Swim last night? I didn't know that Right Stuf even advertised in traditional media (magazines, tv, radio, etc.).
                        I think it was a first but yes, they did run a advertisment last night on AS. toonamiarsenal didn't put it in their clips but many YT ones show it (it looks to have run during Trigun from those).

Comment

Kind of a shame that for them to be this awesome again can only be during a joke.
                          The Toonami idea probably came about from the Cartoon Planet revival. So maybe they're looking to see how far a nostalgia wave might take them. I would definitely be on board a Toonami revamp on the long shot it ever happened. The Toonami brand personality exudes fun, while Adult Swim's has been exceedingly caustic. Putting aside anime, I enjoyed Adult Swim quite a bit for a long time, but now that it's mostly live action and nonsense I haven't watched it in a year or two.
                          Last edited by Jaynin; 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I missed it...

I agree that Adult Swim has gone downhill on both the Comedy and the Action fronts. The only show I consistently watch on AS now is The Venture Brothers. I miss the classics like Harvey Birdman, The Brak Show, etc. and would love for this plus a return to the more classic comedies to be permanent, but I doubt that's likely.

Ah well, all good things must come to an end I suppose. Maybe someone will post some snippets online somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Jaynin View Post
                              . . .The Toonami idea probably came about from the Cartoon Planet revival. So maybe they're looking to see how far a nostalgia wave might take them. I would definitely be on board a Toonami revamp on the long shot it ever happened. The Toonami brand personality exudes fun, while Adult Swim's has been exceedingly caustic. . .
                              What actually happened to kill Toonami, anyway? I was under the impression it was expanding, what with the weekday (afternoon & Midnight Run) blocks, the Saturday evening block, the Rising Sun block on Sunday mornings . . . and then it all just seemed to fall apart.

Did we ever find out what actually happened? That was back before I was paying serious attention to industry news and the like, and I'm curious if we ever got a definitive answer.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X