Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Season 3, Episode 13 - Magical Mystery Cure

Originally posted by Isuzu Inugami View Post
    Wow! I must congratulate you on being possibly the only fan who went into it unspoiled.
    I cannot think of a single tv show or movie viewing experience that would be enhanced by spoilers. I obviously understand fandom (I'm posting here after all) but honestly cannot understand people who willingly spoil themselves of a great tv or movie viewing experience.

I think I need another viewing to settle my feelings about the episode, although it left me smiling, so I suppose my issues can't be too overwhelming. Mostly I thought the pacing was rough--should have had more time and a few more twists in the cutie-mark mixup. And made it a two-parter. (Although Meghan McCarthy tweeted something about how she considers it the first of a three-part episode, we just have to wait a while for the next two parts. Tantalizing tease!)
    I've watched this episode several times now, and I have no issue with the pacing at all. Yes, the first half could have been fleshed out to make a full episode.. But it would have been just like every other episode. No, they had much bigger and grander fish to fry. Stepping up the pace a bit in the first half still gave us ample time to set up the conflict, see Twilight's depression, and have a great conclusion complete with songs. And then the real fun happened. However I don't feel the second half could have been fleshed out to make a full episode. It felt exactly right to me. The whole time, as I was watching Celestia sing about how proud she was of Twilight, I kept thinking "Make her an alicorn! Make her an alicorn!" And I was not disappointed. I believe this is the first time that term has been used in this show. It pleases the pedant in me.

A few highlights for me: Twilight stiffing the courier. Her "oooOOOooo" when realizing she had Starswirl the Bearded's spell book, and the townspony's "PINKIE!" shout when she comes to her senses. Although seeing how near-psychotic the town is without Pinkie, it worries me a bit.
    Avatar: Claire Augustus from Questionable Content

Comment

Originally posted by Ayana Mudou View Post
      I cannot think of a single tv show or movie viewing experience that would be enhanced by spoilers. I obviously understand fandom (I'm posting here after all) but honestly cannot understand people who willingly spoil themselves of a great tv or movie viewing experience.
      When it comes to the spoilers of My Little Pony, there's a reason (from my own personal experience) why some people check out preview clips: to get a better feel of what to expect in the episode. While the episode summaries in the Internet and cable boxes do provide some information, to some people, they need the preview clips to get a better grasp of the situation.

The whole time, as I was watching Celestia sing about how proud she was of Twilight, I kept thinking "Make her an alicorn! Make her an alicorn!" And I was not disappointed. I believe this is the first time that term has been used in this show. It pleases the pedant in me.
      Actually, the term alicorn actually does appear earlier in the season (in the episode Magic Duel).

EDIT: Some of the writers of the shows had a panel at Unicon yesterday, with Equestria Daily providing some highlights of the panel. Among some of the highlights:

-The season 3 finale has been planned since November 2011 (thus putting away the rumor that executive meddling was responsible for Twilight becoming an alicorn);
      -"Spike At Your Service" was originally going to be a Rarity episode, with Applejack eventually getting her role in the episode as a result of the writers feeling that she was acting pretty mean in the initial treatment of the story (definitely for the best IMO);
      -The bit where Spike returns Peewee to his parents at the start of "Just for Sidekicks" was actually something added by the storyboard artists, who knew that people were going to ask where the baby phoenix was in the episode.
      Last edited by TnAdct1; 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM.
      Joseph Klemm
      "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
      Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
      Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
      Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

The Hub wasn't exactly bending over backwards to keep this a secret. They released a press release saying right in the title the Twilight was going to become an Alicorn. Even if I had not gone to any MLP websites, I would have seen the spoiler openly in the newsfeed of TVbythenumbers.com.
        I've watched this episode several times now, and I have no issue with the pacing at all. Yes, the first half could have been fleshed out to make a full episode.. But it would have been just like every other episode. No, they had much bigger and grander fish to fry. Stepping up the pace a bit in the first half still gave us ample time to set up the conflict, see Twilight's depression, and have a great conclusion complete with songs. And then the real fun happened. However I don't feel the second half could have been fleshed out to make a full episode. It felt exactly right to me. The whole time, as I was watching Celestia sing about how proud she was of Twilight, I kept thinking "Make her an alicorn! Make her an alicorn!" And I was not disappointed. I believe this is the first time that term has been used in this show. It pleases the pedant in me.
        I wasn't really bothered by the pacing either, probably because nothing felt cheap. When Shining Armor and Cadance instantly drove the whole army of changelings out of Canterlot with one spell, it felt cheap. By contrast, nothing in this episode felt like it was taking a shortcut.

Looking over season 3, it's interesting just how much changed during the 13 episodes besides Twilight's ascension. The Crystal Empire appeared and Cadance and Shining Armor rule it, The CMC got a new long distance member, Trixie was redeemed, Scootaloo formed a bond with Rainbow Dash, Dash took major steps toward becoming a Wonderbolt, Discord was redeemed, and the Equestria Games were introduced.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko View Post
          Looking over season 3, it's interesting just how much changed during the 13 episodes besides Twilight's ascension. The Crystal Empire appeared and Cadance and Shining Armor rule it, The CMC got a new long distance member, Trixie was redeemed, Scootaloo formed a bond with Rainbow Dash, Dash took major steps toward becoming a Wonderbolt, Discord was redeemed, and the Equestria Games were introduced.
          I contribute a lot of this to the writers probably writing most of this past season like it was going to the last one of the show (with the season finale being a possible series finale if the show didn't get renewed for season 4), thus using it to cover a number of story lines that they felt needed to be told (i.e. Scootaloo's episode, Rainbow Dash at Wonderbolts Academy, the return of Trixie and Discord).
          Joseph Klemm

Spring 2015 Plans

Comment

Originally posted by Marko View Post
            That's a very good observation. There were very few episodes this season where the end of the episode left things exactly as they were at the beginning of the episode. This season was, dare I say it, almost Japanese in it's desire to introduce new plot elements and keep the story moving forward.

Comment

• Re: My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic discussion thread

So the Japanese version is coming up soon on April 2! So far, the cast is:

Pinkie Pie: Suzuko Mimori
              Applejack: Sora Tokui
              Rarity: Mikoi Sasaki
              Rainbow Dash: Izumi Kitta

(All a bunch of fairly new faces, so far--but wait!)

Twilight Sparkle: Miyuki Sawashiro
              Fluttershy: Emiri Katou ("Um, would you like to make a contract to become a magical girl? I mean, if that's all right with you....")
              Spike: Motoko Kunai
              And Princess Celestia: Kikuko Inoue. (Princess Celestia is only 17!)
              Avatar: Trixie is appalled by whatever I just said.

Comment

Wow! I must congratulate you on being possibly the only fan who went into it unspoiled.
                Hell, I didn't get around too seeing this episode until last night and I wasn't spoiled (fell behind during the airing, and then the Hub screwed up the online posting of the previous episode, and I just decided to wait until it came up on NF, which was forthcoming at that point...oh, yes, I can be patient). I saw you guys were talking about this subject at the time, but glanced over the details and happily forgot about it until I was watching the episode.

I'm with you, I understand fandom, but at the same time I don't. Right, sometimes it's hard to avoid--but you still should have an idea where it's coming from (say, press releases) if you're actually determined. As for trying to learn as much before hand about something you know you're going to see, well, I have no answer for that. The impetus instead for spoiling oneself seems more about wanting not to be left out of the up-to-the-minute crowd which tends to dominate fandom discussion of all kinds. Understandable, but it puts, in my mind, greater emphasis on that fandom than the actual subject itself--something that, at worst, should be a 50/50 split. (Feeling as part of a group experiencing something is certainly important, even very important, but it still can't be everything.)

Anyway. That aside, also agreed with all you say about the actual content of the episode. A more simply structured one, perhaps, but as usual for the show even in its weakest moments, it hits the right notes on the themes and characterizations, regardless. (And while the lesson I learned best here is to as usual avoid MLP fandom outside of this thread, I can still appreciate ancillary parts of it from time to time. Funnily enough, though I read that strip daily, I also by chance didn't read that particular one until today, after I'd seen the episode.)
                Last edited by bctaris; 03-18-2013, 04:54 PM.
                Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Fluttershy: Emiri Katou ("Um, would you like to make a contract to become a magical girl? I mean, if that's all right with you....")
                  Excuse me while the thought of Fluttershy sounding like Kyubey processes in my mind. (insert sound of what appears to be an explosion)

Of course, outside of Kyubey, I wonder how this will affect the fan art of other characters voiced by Emiri Katou (I'm looking at you, Hideyoshi).

It's official: Celestia's favorite anime is Ogenki Clinic.
                  Last edited by TnAdct1; 03-18-2013, 06:18 PM.
                  Joseph Klemm

Spring 2015 Plans

Comment

• Re: TV Tokyo will broadcst My Little Pony.

The Japanese version's official web site:
                    http://mylittleponyjapan.com/

And TV Tokyo's page about My Little Pony: Tomodachi wa Mahō:
                    http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/mylittle-pony/

TV Tokyo will start the broadcast of the animation on April 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by TnAdct1 View Post
                      It's official: Celestia's favorite anime is Ogenki Clinic.
                      Along with Ah! My Goddess since she's also the voice of Belldandy & as such is perfect for the role of Princess Celestia IMO (Closest thing to a goddess in MLP: FIM).
                      Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Natsumi Tsujimoto & Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)
                      Blu-ray.com / MAL /Games / Figures
                      Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

I'm totally psyched about this. And, watching the S1 with the new Japanese dub will be the perfect thing to fill the long wait for S4.

There's a promo clip with much of Twilight's voice acting here (although there's a lot of noise in the background): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghRVOz4qdvQ. Sounding good! I was hoping for Mamiko Noto for Fluttershy, but after thinking about it, Sawashiro is near perfect for Twi.
                        The Post's Most Wanted Manga | Fandom Post -Female Anime Character Ranking-

Avatar: Ange Ushiromiya of Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry).

Comment

Originally posted by einhorn303 View Post
                          There's a promo clip with much of Twilight's voice acting here (although there's a lot of noise in the background): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghRVOz4qdvQ. Sounding good! I was hoping for Mamiko Noto for Fluttershy, but after thinking about it, Sawashiro is near perfect for Twi.
                          You're not the only one who considered Noto-san as a possible Fluttershy (as seen in my MLP/Negima comparison chart).

Of course, there's still a number of characters who have yet to have their seiyuu announced. So, it's possible that Noto-san could get involved in a different role than Fluttershy.
                          Joseph Klemm

Spring 2015 Plans

Comment

Originally posted by einhorn303 View Post
                            From what I could hear through all the noise, Miyuki Sawashiro seemed to fit Twilight Sparkle quite well. If she can pull off Twilight's awesome sarcasm, then she's golden.

Comment

Originally posted by TnAdct1 View Post
                              You're not the only one who considered Noto-san as a possible Fluttershy (as seen in my MLP/Negima comparison chart).

Of course, there's still a number of characters who have yet to have their seiyuu announced. So, it's possible that Noto-san could get involved in a different role than Fluttershy.
                              True. Now I wonder who'll be voicing all the minor, but fan-favorite, characters like Trixie (Eri Kitamura, omg).
                              The Post's Most Wanted Manga | Fandom Post -Female Anime Character Ranking-

Avatar: Ange Ushiromiya of Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry).

Comment

...And now we have entered the Ponywinter between seasons.
                                I offer two jokes for your humor convenience:

Joke 1: You youngsters don't remember what it was like, trying to survive the Ponywinter of 2013. It seemed like it went on forever. The Ponysummer of 2012/13 was so short, too. We hardly had any provisions to tide us over. We were so desperate, we resorted to getting our pony fix any way we could. Japanese dubs! Rule 34 fan art! Yuri fanfics! Remixes on YouTube! We were desperate! You kids today have it too easy with your Netflixes and iTunes and Hulus and Ataris. You need to experience a Ponywinter of '13 for yourself! It'll toughen you up!

Joke 2: So viewing the Japanese dub will be like a Winter Wrap-Up?

Please choose which ever makes you laugh.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X