• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TnAdct1
    Superhero in Training
    • May 2011

Re: Season 3, Episode 8 (Production Episode 9) - Apple Family Reunion

Originally posted by Ayana Mudou
    And kudos to Tabitha St. Germain for her Granny Smith performance. I hadn't even realized it was voice of Rarity double-dipping for everyone's favorite geriatric green earth pony until I saw the credits.
    That's just the start, as Tabitha also provides the voice for Luna and "uncensored" Derpy.
    Joseph Klemm
    "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
    Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
    Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
    Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

• Ayana Mudou
      Robot Maid
      • Apr 2011

Re: My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic discussion thread

I've been buying some of the shirts from welovefine.com especially the art nouveau ones. I was looking at my rather magnificent Twilight Sparkle shirt and I had an idea. What if Alphonse Mucha became inspired by Windsor McCay's "Little Nemo in Slumberland" and decided to write a beautifully illustrated Sunday comic strip called "My Little Pony." I can see it. Beautifully, intricately detailed panels, lush colors, the gentle humor of a century earlier. And it would be in French after all since Mucha lived and worked in Paris. I so want this to happen.
      Avatar: Claire Augustus from Questionable Content

Comment

• Isuzu Inugami
        Fallen to Ponies

• May 2011

I so want this to happen.
        But then her name becomes Crepuscule Eclair... I'm not sure I can cope with that....

(Somehow it still feels like a pony name, though!)
        Avatar: Trixie is appalled by whatever I just said.

Comment

• Isuzu Inugami
          Fallen to Ponies

• May 2011

Re: Season 3, Episode 8 (Production Episode 9) - Apple Family Reunion

Originally posted by Marko
          --I'm not a fan of square dancing music, and I probably wouldn't be crazy about this song if I heard it without the visuals, but the dancing and the stylized working add a lot to it. They make it a genuine musical number instead of just a song. Now they made a barn that you can hopefully blow on without it collapsing.
          Applejack's response to trying to overschedule everyone's time is to put them to work some more....

So... toward the end of the song, there's a fiddle-playing pony who looks just like Octavia, only butter-yellow. Octavia, are you an Apple? Why did you dye your coat? Are you trying to hide your passion for backwoods music?

"Vinyl mustn't know! I will never hear the end of it!"

Comment

• DiRF
            It's Over 900... Oh, wait...
            • Apr 2011

That fiddle-playing pony ("Fiddlesticks") actually already appeared in Luna Eclipsed.
            Online profiles: ANN DVDAf eBay

Comment

• Isuzu Inugami
              Fallen to Ponies

• May 2011

Originally posted by DiRF
              That fiddle-playing pony ("Fiddlesticks") actually already appeared in Luna Eclipsed.
              Hmm, so it's not the first time Octavia has disguised herself like this!

Maybe she's dyes her coat for the Canterlot Orchestra set... hiding her rural upbringing.... ^^
              Last edited by Isuzu Inugami; 12-27-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Ayana Mudou
                Robot Maid
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Isuzu Inugami
                Originally posted by DiRF
                Hmm, so it's not the first time Octavia has disguised herself like this!

Maybe she's dyes her coat for the Canterlot Orchestra set... hiding her rural upbringing.... ^^
                You know, now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen Fiddlesticks and Octavia in the same room together.

Or maybe it's just the pony equivalent of "country mouse and city mouse."

Comment

• Marko
                  Redshirt
                  • Jun 2011

Season 3, Episode 9 (Production Episode 10) - Spike At Your Service

--Nice of them to let us know about Spike's weird fetishes. Horrible that Spike didn't even get to smell his feet until now while Twilight got to stick her dirty hoof in her eye.
                  --So Twilight lets anypony in town use her balloon?
                  --Spike should take a hint from Scootaloo and just let Granny Smith try and dodge the cart.
                  --I have to give them credit in that the CG used for the timberwolves does looks surprisingly like traditional animation. It does look more like Don Bluth animation than FIM though.
                  --Spike seems a lot more afraid of the Everfree Forest than the ponies are, especially the CMC.
                  --Come to think of it, if Applejack has to pick up the apples with her mouth, virtually everypony in Ponyville has indirectly kissed her.
                  --It's becoming increasingly rare for the CMC to be aggressively looking for their cutie marks. It's great how the group has changed since season one where everything they did was aiming to get a cutie mark.
                  --A lot of people have criticized Spike's clumsiness when working for Applejack as opposed to Twilight. This is a problem. If Spike was just incompetent at Applejack's chores that would be one thing, but he's constantly knocking things down and making a mess AND most importantly doesn't seem to care about the mess he's making. It would drive Twilight crazy constantly as opposed to her typically being occasionally crazy. I know it's all for comedic purposes but it's still jarring.
                  --The episode never can decide whether Spike's Dragon Code is something he made up or if it is something real and serious.
                  --First Sweetie Belle and now Spike-Rarity is a magnet for bad cooks.
                  --If only Rarity had Spike in her debt. Than she'd have him help out at the store and help her search for gems and carry her luggage...oh wait.
                  --I would think Rainbow Dash would have taken up writing bad fanfiction...er I mean novels, because of her new love of reading, but she seems to think Applejack is writing one too. Is this like The Sims where everyone in town is writing books in their spare time?
                  --Rarity and sarcasm don't mix at all.
                  --Rainbow Dash could have hit that tower with her hooves or shoulder or whatever instead of her head. Or she could have done what we humans do and just slingshot angry birds into it.
                  --Best moment of the episode-Applejack getting Twilight's attention by moving an inkwell slightly out of order. Never change, Twilight.
                  --Hey Applejack, let Pinkie keep her mustache!
                  --Yes, Applejack, you have to put your foreleg like that and say "I'm REEEEEEEEEEALLY AAAAAAAAAANGRY!!!!!!!". Oops, sorry, wrong ham training.
                  --I know Dash has a raspy voice, but I didn't know her throat was bad enough to make sounds like that.
                  --It's kind of gross when you realize Spike essentially makes the giant Timberwolf literally cough his guts up.

I do like it that this is one of the few episodes in which all the members of the Mane 6 have things to do. But the fact that Spike's out of character clumsiness combined with the fact that he doesn't seem to care about the damage he's causing makes this one of the weaker episodes of the season for me. I personally prefer more heartwarming episodes like last week's.

Now it's off for a few weeks followed by the last third of the season kicking off with a doozy--A Fluttershy episode, and the return of

Spoiler ->Discord. This will be interesting not just due to the return of Discord the character, but also for the return of John De Lancie, who by his own admission barely knew what show he was doing when he did Discord originally. Now he's really taken a liking to the brony community and he most likely really wanted to come back and be a bigger part of the phenomenon.

Oh and Happy New Year, everybody!
                  Last edited by Marko; 01-02-2013, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Isuzu Inugami
                    Fallen to Ponies

• May 2011

Re: Season 3, Episode 9 (Production Episode 10) - Spike At Your Service

--I have to give them credit in that the CG used for the timberwolves does looks surprisingly like traditional animation. It does look more like Don Bluth animation than FIM though.
                    I didn't like them. The animation just didn't mesh well with the rest of the show's style.

(But I was impressed that Applejack could tie a hot-air balloon to her tail and haul it around.)

I agree with you that Spike's ineptitude is badly out of character--he's functionally Twilight's butler, after all. And I really could have done without the paint-by-numbers "life debt/fake a crisis to even up the life debt/Oh no, the crisis is real now!" plot.

That said, we haven't had enough chances to have all the mane six interacting this season, and their interactions here are terrific fun. So I like everything that isn't the plot, I guess.

(And Marko, could you spoiler tag your next episode preview comments? Some people like to go into the episode blind.)

Comment

• Ayana Mudou
                      Robot Maid
                      • Apr 2011

I agree with you that Spike's ineptitude is badly out of character--he's functionally Twilight's butler, after all. And I really could have done without the paint-by-numbers "life debt/fake a crisis to even up the life debt/Oh no, the crisis is real now!" plot.
                      I'll admit I had a hard time with that whole clumsy Spike thing. They've spent 2 and a half years showing just how competent Spike is as Twilight's assistant, so it just doesn't work.

The plot itself is at least 50 years old, going back to both The Andy Griffith Show and Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. In the first, Gomer's life is saved by Andy so Gomer feels he owes a life-debt to him, so Andy has to find a way to fake Gomer saving his life to get out of it. In Gomer Pyle, they reused the plot almost line for line but this time it was Sgt. Carter who was the lifesaver instead of Sheriff Andy. Somebody at MLP loves their old tv shows.

That said, we haven't had enough chances to have all the mane six interacting this season, and their interactions here are terrific fun. So I like everything that isn't the plot, I guess.
                      Kind of my feeling, too. The situation everyone found themselves in wasn't very believable, but the way everyone dealt with the situation was, and that's what made it fun.

Comment

• Marko
                        Redshirt
                        • Jun 2011

I'll admit I had a hard time with that whole clumsy Spike thing. They've spent 2 and a half years showing just how competent Spike is as Twilight's assistant, so it just doesn't work.
                        To be fair, Spike was mainly used for writing and book-finding--things like cleaning could probably be done easier and quicker with Twilight's magic. I wasn't as bothered by his ineptitude so much as the fact that he didn't seem to even realize the mess he was making. He just made a mess and happily moved on to the next task like he didn't even know what he was trying to do.

Comment

• TnAdct1
                          Superhero in Training
                          • May 2011

--It's becoming increasingly rare for the CMC to be aggressively looking for their cutie marks. It's great how the group has changed since season one where everything they did was aiming to get a cutie mark.
                          Also, it will be interesting to see just how the CMC would fail in terms of water-skiing (although I'm sure Scootaloo will last longer than her two friends).

--A lot of people have criticized Spike's clumsiness when working for Applejack as opposed to Twilight. This is a problem. If Spike was just incompetent at Applejack's chores that would be one thing, but he's constantly knocking things down and making a mess AND most importantly doesn't seem to care about the mess he's making. It would drive Twilight crazy constantly as opposed to her typically being occasionally crazy. I know it's all for comedic purposes but it's still jarring.
                          Of course, one thing to keep in mind is that given the personality of Twilight Sparkle, Spike may rarely do any real cleaning when at the library (as Twilight may beat him to it).

--The episode never can decide whether Spike's Dragon Code is something he made up or if it is something real and serious.
                          Yeah, you can blame Merriweather Williams for this (given how she also handled the infamous Dragon Quest episode).

--I would think Rainbow Dash would have taken up writing bad fanfiction...er I mean novels, because of her new love of reading, but she seems to think Applejack is writing one too. Is this like The Sims where everyone in town is writing books in their spare time?
                          Don't give the fanfic writers anymore material.

--Best moment of the episode-Applejack getting Twilight's attention by moving an inkwell slightly out of order. Never change, Twilight.
                          See what I mean about Spike possibly never getting a chance to do any real cleaning at the library thanks to Twilight?

--Hey Applejack, let Pinkie keep her mustache!
                          ...Especially the third time. That was definitely another cute Pinkie Pie moment.

I do like it that this is one of the few episodes in which all the members of the Mane 6 have things to do. But the fact that Spike's out of character clumsiness combined with the fact that he doesn't seem to care about the damage he's causing makes this one of the weaker episodes of the season for me. I personally prefer more heartwarming episodes like last week's.
                          Personally, I'm the other way around. While last week's episode did have some heart to it, it lacked a lot of the spunk that is also needed to make a great episode of the show. This episode, on the other, while it may not have the heart that last week's episode had, still was an enjoyable ride thanks to some great humor and fun character interactions (two elements missing from Apple Family Reunion IMO).

Speaking of that, I wonder if the idea of making Spike and AJ the main characters here a way to make up for Apple Family Reunion and

Spoiler ->the upcoming episode where Spike watches over the Mane Six's pets (which doesn't look that promising yet IMO)?

Last edited by TnAdct1; 01-02-2013, 07:37 PM.
                          Joseph Klemm
                          "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
                          Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
                          Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
                          Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

• SoundMonkey44
                            Redshirt
                            • May 2012

Gotta say for me SAYS is MLP:FIM's first true dud, not the worst thing ever mind you, but not an episode I care to revisit, Spike was made to much into a Patrick Star/Billy this episode just for the sake of the plot.

But yeah looking forward to Discord's return in Keep Calm & Flutter on come January 19th! Looking forward to seeing what the God of Chaos & Disharmony has in store for the ponies, oh i'm sure he's going to have heck of a time as they try to "reform" him XD.
                            Toonami Faithful since 1997!!!
                            Ballzy enough to like things that aren't cool to like.
                            Brony, Bleach Fan, Case Closed/Detective Conan Fanboy.

Comment

• Invisible Crane
                              Be nice, I'm a new fan
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by SoundMonkey44
                              Gotta say for me SAYS is MLP:FIM's first true dud, not the worst thing ever mind you, but not an episode I care to revisit, Spike was made to much into a Patrick Star/Billy this episode just for the sake of the plot.

But yeah looking forward to Discord's return in Keep Calm & Flutter on come January 19th! Looking forward to seeing what the God of Chaos & Disharmony has in store for the ponies, oh i'm sure he's going to have heck of a time as they try to "reform" him XD.
                              Discord's coming back!?!?!?...oh sweet more John De Lancie awesomeness!

Comment

• Ayana Mudou
                                Robot Maid
                                • Apr 2011

Here's something rather brilliant. Kumail Nanjiani is an excellent standup comic who is also a voice actor. You might have heard him as the voice of Prismo on Adventure Time. Someone decided to take one of his signature routines and let Pinkie deliver it for him. I think it's hilarious.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...