Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 Day Movie Challenge Day 6: Your Favorite Comedy

Widgets Magazine
    I love this movie. I mean, I absolutely love it. Back when I was buying DVDs because they were dirt cheap and it was easier and cheaper to do that rather than go to the theater,*Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story is a disc I picked up just because the trailer amused me. What I discovered […]

More...
    Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Re: 30 Day Movie Challenge Day 6: Your Favorite Comedy

Going with the classic: Some Like It Hot. I first saw this in the theater, and nearly hurt myself laughing. Jack Lemmon's finest moment, and Marilyn Monroe is pretty excellent, too.

Not my favorite silent film, but possibly the funniest silent film is Seven Chances, starring Buster Keaton. Buster plays a bachelor who will inherit a fortune if he marries by the end of the day. The setup is good, but the chase scene in the final twenty minutes may make it difficult to breathe.

Fairly obscure, but wonderfully funny is the Scottish film Whisky Galore!, the story of a ship full of whisky running around in Scotland during WW2 rationing. The nearby villagers endeavor to liberate the cargo.

Of more recent films, my favorites include Blazing Saddles, Airplane!, Ruthless People, The Naked Gun, A Fish Called Wanda, and Get Shorty.

Some Like It Hot is my overall favorite.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot about Woody Allen. Sleeper and Love and Death are the funniest. And Marx Brothers: Duck Soup, Night At the Opera, and House Feathers. And Bob Hope: Son of Paleface. And while we're talking western parodies, Support Your Local Sheriff is a gem.

Si many great comedies.
    Last edited by Sigma UFO; 11-06-2014, 10:16 AM.
    Seattle will never forget you, Electron Boy! - Donate to the Make-a-Wish Foundation
    Avatar: You're going to LOVE HER!!!!!
    Σ UFO = Mr. Nail Bat = Geoduck = Big Big Duck
    You can believe everything I say, as it is based on emperical data.

Comment

With a wicked script by among others Mel Brooks & Richard Pryor, I have to go with Blazing Saddles as my favorite comedy. Cleavon Little as (Black) Bart & Gene Wilder as the Waco Kid were gold in this one along with very good performances by Harvey Korman as Hedley Lamarr, Alex Karras (Who I think was playing for the Detroit Lions at the time) as Mongo & Madeline Kahn as Lili von Schtupp. It was hilarious from beginning to end with a final battle spreading from the stand-in for the town of Rock Ridge to Grauman's Chinese Theater! Excellent movie that never fails to get a laugh from me whenever I watch it.
      Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Natsumi Tsujimoto & Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)
      Blu-ray.com / MAL /Games / Figures
      Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma UFO View Post
        Going with the classic: Some Like It Hot. I first saw this in the theater, and nearly hurt myself laughing. Jack Lemmon's finest moment, and Marilyn Monroe is pretty excellent, too.

Not my favorite silent film, but possibly the funniest silent film is Seven Chances, starring Buster Keaton. Buster plays a bachelor who will inherit a fortune if he marries by the end of the day. The setup is good, but the chase scene in the final twenty minutes may make it difficult to breathe.

Fairly obscure, but wonderfully funny is the Scottish film Whisky Galore!, the story of a ship full of whisky running around in Scotland during WW2 rationing. The nearby villagers endeavor to liberate the cargo.

Of more recent films, my favorites include Blazing Saddles, Airplane!, Ruthless People, The Naked Gun, A Fish Called Wanda, and Get Shorty.

Some Like It Hot is my overall favorite.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot about Woody Allen. Sleeper and Love and Death are the funniest. And Marx Brothers: Duck Soup, Night At the Opera, and House Feathers. And Bob Hope: Son of Paleface. And while we're talking western parodies, Support Your Local Sheriff is a gem.

Si many great comedies.
        Every single movie on this list has had me in stiches at one point or another. Favorite moment from Love and Death: The black drill sergeant scene. Gets me every time. I love the Marx Brothers, and A Night At The Opera is my favorite. Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter are James Garner at his best (though there's also the hard to classify Americanization of Emily, as well). Some greats have to be added:

Harvey: Jimmy Stewart and a 6-foot tall pooka.

I see Mel Brooks makes the list, but how can you leave off Young Frankenstein or The Producers? The Springtime for Hitler number is possibly the funniest moment in movie history, especially the audience's dropped jaw reaction, except for the author, who outranks the audience.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail Nearly died laughing.

Operation Petticoat: Cary Grant tries to get his damaged submarine to a repair base during the early days of WWII, and ends up having to deal with a bevy of nurses and Tony Curtis.

Musical, comedy, western. Cat Ballou qualifies on all counts.

Better Off Dead: John Cusak is a riot in this film of a high school student who loses it when his girlfriend ditches him for a more glamorous guy. How can you go wrong with a movie with Japanese drag racers who learned English by watching Howard Cosell on Wide World of Sports?

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. So good, I'm still not sharing it with my son, who has yet to get into high school.

Animal House. The talent in this movie is just astonishing. It remains an all-time favorite.

Buster Keaton. Laurel & Hardy. And of course, Charlie Chaplin. The choices from those 3 groups are plentiful, rich and deep.

Naturally, I'm leaving great comedies off. Screwball comedies, madcap comedies, slapstick and much more.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Jeez, I'd suck at doing one of these 30 day challenges for real.

After some random thought I settled on one I think is a favorite based on, like Drama, when it came along for me. Mel Brooks' History of the World Part I.

"When it came along" being, of course, childhood, airing probably several times (often edited, I'm sure) on TV matinees. There are smarter, more cleverly constructed comedies by Mr. Brooks (Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The Producers; Spaceballs is more consistent) and other luminaries (Python's Holy Grail and Life of Brian; nearly all of Woody Allen's ribald 70s comedies and wittier 90s comedies; and my runner ups: The Jerk, Airplane, Parenthood, and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles) but History of the World is a favorite for its low bar and its more anarchic and ribald--and just silly--humor. It's in the same vein of the modern dumb comedies that followed (Three Amigos, Dumb and Dumber, and Rat Race are guilty pleasures), and some jokes are a little too dumb, but it still has that Sid Caesar-inspired cleverness of Brooks's earlier movies. The Spanish Inquisition musical number, the Last Supper, King Louis. And just some of Brooks' best jokes.

"Ten! Ten Commandments for all to obey!"
          "Nice. Nice. Not thrilling, but nice."
          "Oh, a bullshit artist."
          "Could you please step on the same foot at the same time! My tits are falling off!"
          "Send in the nuns!"
          "Yeah she's right. We all sound like Maurice Chevalier. Honh, honh, honh!"

"Good to be the King."
          Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
          TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
            After some random thought I settled on one I think is a favorite based on, like Drama, when it came along for me. Mel Brooks' History of the World Part I.
            "Count de Money"
            "De Mo-nay"
            "Don't you correct me!"

A classic indeed. I can recount a great many more lines…but I'll stop there

Personally, it's hard to pin down one comedy as my favorite. Quite a few films other people have listed would be among my favorites.
            Avatar: Hinagiku Katsura from Hayate the Combat Butler.
            Scratchy for Tama is angry.
            I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
            Casual

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X