Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iPad 3 Revealed - Your purchase plans?

Originally posted by adc View Post
    Also, other than the punctuation, I constructed this whole post using this Siri-based dictation feature on my iPad. The future is here!
    That last line got "The Future Soon" by Jonathan Coultan stuck in my head. Thanks!

I'm back on my MacBook this evening. I was having problems again with my network and Apple's AirPort Utility for iOS isn't quite robust enough to fix the issue. I agree with adc, though - My day-to-day usage is iPad-based. When I want to play a serious game, edit/manage videos, or edit/manage my photos I go to my MacBook.

Comment

Originally posted by Bibulb View Post
      (As opposed to the iPhone 4s, for which I was counting the days until I was eligible to upgrade - the space of 64gb on the phone alone was a big deal.)
      They say that apps supporting the iPad retina display will be pretty massive, at least twice the size of standard iPad apps — and universal apps supporting iPad retina display, standard iPad, iPhone retina display, and standard iPhone should be of epicly prodigious size. Epicly? Epically? Either way, I bet we see apps before too long that drop standard iPhone and require iPhone retina display or better.
      This was based largely on the fact that Apple's updates to the iLife suite for iOS significantly increased the size of the programs, often doubling. However, those enlargements were mainly due to additions to the program's capabilities and add ons, rather than updates to handle a Retina display. True, the need to support a Retina display, as well as the regular display, will likely increase the space required, but most programs it will be fairly negligible.

I would be surprised if some Apps became Retina Display only, but I think the number will stay fairly limited for now.

Comment

Also, other than the punctuation, I constructed this whole post using this Siri-based dictation feature on my iPad. The future is here!
        Just as long as you're not "constructing" erotic fiction using Siri at the local Starbucks.

Checked out a friend's iPad 3 today at work. 64gb, 4g..the $799 one. I'll happily admit it's really freaking nice.

He's subsidizing it by selling his mint iPad 1 (64gb/3G)...paid $475 for it used last year, and it's worth a good $100 more than that even now.

Comment

Originally posted by stfram View Post
          Just as long as you're not "constructing" erotic fiction using Siri at the local Starbucks.
          Even if Siri were able to talk to me on my iPad, which she's not, her voice isn't sexy enough for that stuff. Also, holy shit, adding words like "comma" into your sentences totally works. Just need to learn how to make it type "comma" instead of throwing a , into the sentence. :D
          I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
          Stephen King

Comment

Sounds like the new iPad is hot stuff.
            "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Ryos View Post
              Since I bought it, I've felt around to see if it really is hotter (70 percent larger battery but the same battery life does suggest 70 percent greater power usage, after all), and I can confirm that it gets warm. Hot? No, I haven't felt that. But warm. Sometimes. And not to such a degree that I am always sure the iPad is warm versus my hands being cold. Right now, just using the iPad as an Internet device as I do for work, it feels no warmer than my iPad 2 ever did.
              I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
              Stephen King

Comment

There's also a yellowish discoloration of some displays, apparently from solvent that wasn't entirely dry/evaporated when the iPads were assembled.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/s...e_skin;content

Surprisingly, Apple is exchanging iPads that have the issue, rather than telling customers to just wait a few days for the goop to evaporate. I've been critical of Apple's CS, but I see no problem with waiting a few days rather than exchanging the device.

The problem isn’t a new one, and has previously been put down to the organo-functional Silane Z-6011 adhesive used to bond the layers of glass together in the screen not being given enough time to evaporate. This is partly due to Apple stepping up the production of the panels to accommodate the high level of demand for the device. If this is the same problem as previously, the yellow hue will vanish in a week or so as the solvent fully evaporates.

Comment

I have been using mine regularly, including sending video to my Apple TV via AirPlay for multiple hours, and I haven't noticed a difference. From what I can tell, it seems to be an issue with gaming mostly - I don't really game on my iPad much, so it makes sense that I haven't encountered the problem. I'll have to fire up Minecraft PE and see how bad it gets at some point. I know it makes my 4S very warm after 15 minutes or so...

Comment

I left my iPad unlocked for several hours today surfing/watching video and it just now started feeling warm on the left-hand side when you hold it in portrait mode (Home button on the bottom, FaceTime camera up top). My laptop has gotten significantly hotter in the past, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Overall, I am very pleased with this upgrade from my iPad 1st Gen. The only con I've experienced is the longer charge time. I usually charge it overnight, however, so I sleep through this cycle usually.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine
                    Working...
                    X