Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad 3 Revealed - Your purchase plans?

Widgets Magazine
    Poll above - no registration required to comment or vote!
    I'm getting the New iPad
    30.77%
    I'm content with what I have (iPad, iPad 2)
    23.08%
    I'm content with what I have (Android/Kindle Fire/Other Tablet)
    23.08%
    I'm getting the priced down iPad 2
    2.56%
    I'm getting a new Android device
    2.56%
    I can't understand the point of tablet devices
    17.95%
    Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Re: iPad 3 Revealed - Your purchase plans?

For what's it worth, I have the original iPad and while I'd like the slimmer and more responsive unit, I don't see any feature in the ipad 2/3 that screams must-upgrade. I'm more than willing to be convinced, though I primarily use it for web browsing, certain apps (Tivo) and comic book reading.

I did acquire a kindle fire recently as it's excellent to use as a ereader with comics when I need to have a smaller portable device while at kids activities. Very different feel of functionality.
    Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Comment

What about the people who have no need for a tablet device, but understand the point of them?

I have no personal need for them since tablets don't provide the functionality I require to do my job from a remote location and my recreational preferences lean towards console gaming. If I was to get something for reading it would probably be a regular Kindle, not the fire, since I would be more interested in battery life and visibility provided by eINK instead of LCD.
      Figure Enthusiast
      Moderator: Comics, Movies, General Anime, Off-topic, Gaming Goodness

Comment

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
        What about the people who have no need for a tablet device, but understand the point of them?
        Pretty much. That and I hate Apple with a passion. I guess if I bought everything I ever wanted and still had money left over I might get a tablet but eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, not likely.
        "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

My workplace has a set of Motorola Xoom tablets that we take with us for site visits. I've perhaps spent all of 10 minutes using one since we got them since it's never been the appropriate device for what I need it for in terms of my tasks at work, and nothing about it has really inspired me to purchase one for myself (be it a Xoom or iPad or any other device) since there's no real gap it would fill in terms of usefulness. Like Gatts and Ryos have already mentioned, I understand the point of a tablet device, but it doesn't enter into the equation for me in any part of my own life.

For what it's worth, I have a Kindle (not a Fire), and I barely use it. All the books on it are books I already have physical copies of, but that I wanted to continue reading when I was in the middle but had to go on a trip; the purchase dates all coincide exactly with my long-distance travel schedule. The most useful thing about it is that it's given me another wall charger that's compatible with my cell phone, so I've never been without one in the past year when I forget the real one.
          asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
          Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
          Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
            Chalk up another vote for this position. I see the uses of tablets, but I have no real need for one as of yet. I have thought about getting an e-reader, but in that case I may just go with a Kindle or a Nook. Far less expensive and provides all of the functionality I need. Otherwise, I want a laptop or a desktop, since I for word processing (I do a lot of writing), I want a full-sized keyboard and the ability to be able to even have two open document windows to do comparisons (which is why I still use a desktop, with two monitors hooked up). You can't do that on an iPad.
            Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
            Scratchy for Tama is angry.
            Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

I just got an IPad 2 so I'm in NO rush to get the new one. I use it mostly for work and to read some manga.
              My gaming names/friend number. Please fell free to add me to yours or send me a request. I will add anyone from this site who wishes to give me theirs.

Nintendo Network ID: RMP123
              PSN: RYPLYLER
              3DS: 5327-0918-4237

Comment

Hrm... well... I always considered them the iPaid and the iPaid 2much. I guess this new one is iPaid 3x its worth? Then again, I never really got the Apple hype; you know that they're going to release a new model a year later.

At the same point... tablets in general never really interested me. (An eReader, maybe. Some writing is starting to appear on the wall. But it won't be a Kindle.) For the same price as a tablet, I can get a simple laptop that does more. I understand the PDA concept more than a tablet- at least PDAs are sized to be portable. Of course, with them being merged into phones also...
                -dunno001
                -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
                -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Comment

I'm tempted (just dented my iPad by dropping it), but I will wait. I was happy with the iPad which is why I got an iPhone 4S. Now unfortunately I have problems with the 4S - have had it lock up a few times and have to reset it. No real clue as to why (and a quick google search shows some others have it, but they haven't figured out the reason). So my issues with the iPhone make me hesitant to spend big bucks on a new iPad.

Comment

I'm happy with my current HP Touchpad 32GB that I got for $150. An iPad can't do anything better, other that providing more apps to use. Since I can actually dual-boot the thing with android, even that iPad advantage is nearly moot.

I was anti-tablet prior to my purchase; however I admit the tablet is just more convenient to use, especially when laying in bed, or relaxing on the couch. A laptop kinda sucks for that due to the heat generated and the shorter battery life.

I'd still rather type on any laptop/netbook rather than a tablet, though. And my kindle is better to just read books.

Edit: and I have an android phone, it works for browsing, but the tablet wins as it makes the experience better. Too bad the phone is always on me, and I always forget to grab the tablet...
                    Last edited by stfram; 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I might go for an Android tablet somewhere down the road. But iPad? No. Way too expensive.
                      "I'm sorry, did you say something? Because your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass."
                      Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table~
                      Avatar: Grown up Yue Ayase from Negima.

Comment

I use my iPad 2 all the time. Work? Yes. Home? Yes. On the go? Yes (but I prefer my iPhone in many use cases). I use it for reading and writing (yes, writing, on the software keyboard). I use it for watching movies and TV away from home. I'm typing this response on my iPad right now. New iPad? Fuck yes. Just as soon as I find a buyer for this iPad. Maybe I won't even wait for that. I'm not going to get a Kindle and give up all the features and capabilities I have now. I'm not going to switch to an Android or Windows tablet because I don't like the companies behind those OSs. And now that I've moved into the post-PC world, I don't want to go back. I'll keep my Mac, of course, but it's more a physical manifestation of iTunes than anything else these days.

I understand how people can prefer to keep their PCs, or choose somebody else's tablet, and I won't gainsay them. But I've found that I'm better at my job with my iPad and iPhone than I'd ever be with just a Mac, and a whole ton better than if I were using the PC in the cramped walk-in closet that I guess you could call my office.
                        I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
                        Stephen King

Comment

Originally posted by hachi View Post
                          Now unfortunately I have problems with the 4S - have had it lock up a few times and have to reset it.
                          Do you work outside a lot and keep your phone in your pocket? At my job I walk between buildings frequently and had similar problems with my 3GS. I eventually realized that sweat was seeping into the phone and causing the issue.

Originally posted by adc View Post
                          New iPad? Fuck yes. Just as soon as I find a buyer for this iPad. Maybe I won't even wait for that.
                          Gazelle was offering $155 for my original iPad 16GB + 3G yesterday after the announcement, so I'm sure you'd get more. I've used them before - very simple transaction.

Personally, I am like a few others here who use their iPads for general media consumption and mostly at home. I surf the web during commercial breaks, stream anime/Netflix while in bed, and I also use it to read ebooks. I have a Mac Mini running Windows 7 that is connected to my Drobo storage unit and is running the AirVideoServer transcoding application so I am able to access my media remotely if I'm out and about. I also have DynDNS running on it so I can access the Mini from my iPad/iPhone wherever I am. I still have the occasional need for a laptop (such as when I want to play Minecraft - the Pocket Edition just isn't quite there yet), but I find I'm using my MacBook less and less and the Mini is simply a media server.

I have pre-ordered the iPad with WiFi-only because I find I don't use the 3G access enough to justify the $130 increase in cost. I also pre-ordered an Apple TV mostly because of the AirPlay functionality it allows. When OS X Mountain Lion comes out (it adds AirPlay support as one of its features), I might use my laptop more but we'll see.

Comment

I'm good with the iPad 2… maybe seeing the "retina display" will change my mind, but I doubt it.

I got the original iPad for work (I'm an iOS developer), not sure if I'd really use it that much… now I leave the laptop at home and go iPad-only for travel, and do a lot of content creation (writing and diagrams for programming books) on the iPad. Really surprised me how much I like it.

You know what else might change my mind on iPad 3? If JManga finally releases their iPad app. I'm subscribing to JManga the day they're iPad-compatible.

Comment

Like a few others, I also have an HP TouchPad that I bought during last year's fire sale. After getting used to it and working with its ergonomic limitations on account of my disability, I find myself using it mainly as an e-reader and manga reader, though the fact that it has a native WordPress client developed directly by corporate backers Automattic means I could live blog without needing my laptops, which is a nice bonus. With all that being said, I still want the new iPad since application support is still unmatched by any other platform.

While I could theoretically be ok with the TouchPad, the biggest draw for me with the new iPad is the display, which is perfect for displaying high-res images from DSLR and mirrorless cameras in the field without needing to resample and scale and it means I could finally display CAD drawings, saving the hassles of having to carry a laptop. I've already budgeted for the 64GB+4G model. As for following the other TouchPad owners in running Android on the tablet, I'd rather not, considering my experiences with Android have been frustrating, to put it mildly.
                              Humberto Saabedra: Editor in Chief/Owner - AnimeNews | Editor-in-Chief - PhoneNews.com | Associate Editor - Crunchyroll News

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X