X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn That Sucks...

Widgets Magazine
    Back around the beginning of this year, one of my co-workers retired. I remember feeling envious of him at the time because ever since the first day of my first part-time job bagging groceries back in high school in 1998 I've longed to be retired (it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I'm selfish/unmotivated when it comes to working for someone else - a topic for another post). It was all planned and the gentleman was ready to enjoy the easy life after several decades of working for my employer.

He passed away from a respiratory infection Monday morning.

All I can think about is how sad it is that he worked here for so long and how he finally got to live life for himself only to have it yanked away not even 2 full months later. Damn, that sucks! :/

Re: Damn That Sucks...

Indeed it does

My condolences to his family.
    My gaming names/friend number. Please fell free to add me to yours or send me a request. I will add anyone from this site who wishes to give me theirs.

Nintendo Network ID: RMP123
    PSN: RYPLYLER
    3DS: 5327-0918-4237

Comment

Originally posted by Orihimes_Boyfriend View Post
      My condolences to his family.
      Of course! I'm going to try to go to his funeral service next week. He seemed like a nice guy from the brief time I knew him personally.

Comment

I've heard a lot of people die shortly after retiring. Don't know the statistics or anything offhand, but either that shows people work too late or they don't adjust well to no longer having pressure/activity. I'm willing to take the chance when I'm done though!
        "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

I won't retire until I'm physically unable to work. I'm terrified of the thought of my body shutting down because it isn't motivated. To be realistic, though, I probably won't have a choice in the matter. I have serious doubts there will be such things as 401ks, medicare and social security when I'm finally old enough to take advantage of them.
          Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryos View Post
            I've heard a lot of people die shortly after retiring. Don't know the statistics or anything offhand, but either that shows people work too late or they don't adjust well to no longer having pressure/activity. I'm willing to take the chance when I'm done though!
            I've heard about a lot of people that die shortly after retiring too. I know some of them had big plans for traveling after they retire and then they don't even get to do it. It's why my plan is to travel whenever I can.

Comment

Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post
              I have serious doubts there will be such things as 401ks, medicare and social security when I'm finally old enough to take advantage of them.
              Depends what you're talking about. Defined pensions are rare and getting rarer, primarily because they end up being a huge cost burden to the company in those cases where someone retires and lives for decades. Medicare and Social Security will also be curtailed to some extent by necessity. I know I won't be counting on those either. However, 401ks and IRAs are not something you have to be worried about going away as they are voluntary saving options that are offered either with the company you're working with or some other outlet. If you use these options early and maximize contributions (at least whatever the company is willing to match), retirement should not be a scary proposition. Of course there are other saving options too, but I'm just talking about those with special tax deferral or negation implications.
              Last edited by Ryos; 02-26-2012, 09:24 AM.
              "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Ryos View Post
                I've read that work can actually shorten a persons life span, especially if one works long hours (Say 60 hours per week). Stress is one of the reasons, plus I guess workplace injuries, etc.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X