• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hayate Kurogane
    闘う翼

• Mar 2011

"It's 2012! Ignorance is inexcusable!"

Widgets Magazine
    Here's an article from CNN's Geek Out! blog about being aware of information in the Information Age that I enjoyed reading and completely agree with. You should read it too. If you disagree with it, or it upsets you, you're likely part of the problem.
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB
  • Jimmie M
    Nitro On!
    • Apr 2011

Re: "It's 2012! Ignorance is inexcusable!"

That was a very good read, I must say. What got me was the twitter feed which I found to be both hilarious & sad-I don't use Wikipedia all that much but I at least know enough to go to World Book, Brittanica or-GASP-a library if I need to research something if Wikipedia goes down.
    Avatar: Bokuto's Best Partners, Natsumi Tsujimoto & Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)
    Blu-ray.com / MAL /Games / Figures
    Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

• Sensuifu
      I can pick my own name now!
      • Apr 2011

Interesting. Found it kind of nostalgic how the author reminisces about old tech. I was there too. He's right, I agree with his view regarding the dumbing of society. Though I wonder if he's implying something more beyond the fact that wikipedia was down and whether nor not people can realize the true reason for pipa/sopa. It isn't about censorship btw. Oh, and is that the same Jeff Williams from the prehistoric aod? Ironic how he called me out that one time regarding those 'golden years'.

Comment

• Isuzu Inugami
        Fallen to Ponies

• May 2011

Dear Mr. Hayate.

I followed your link, but was immediately led astray by the My Little Pony Wonder Woman in the banner. I fear I am doomed.
        Avatar: Trixie is appalled by whatever I just said.

Comment

• Hayate Kurogane
          闘う翼

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Isuzu Inugami
          Dear Mr. Hayate.

I followed your link, but was immediately led astray by the My Little Pony Wonder Woman in the banner. I fear I am doomed.
          You have a problem that is almost the opposite of the one described in the article: too much Internet. Which has given you a severe case of brony-itis. I'm sorry to say it is unlikely you can be helped.
          asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
          Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
          Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

• Noodle
            Nope.

• Apr 2011

I kind of loved the er, history lesson - I miss those good old days of the internet, yeah? (And actually, having been in a computer tech policy course in 1996 I remember the blue ribbon campaign well; I wrote my term paper on internet censorship. How times have not changed.) I joke a lot that the internet is making me stupider; I'm so glad to find out I'm just getting lazier. I'm kidding (maybe); thanks for posting that.

I don't follow twitter so I found the collection of feeds to be kind of totally hysterical. Except I totally want to know how many of them were made "ironically" though.

Also, Isuzu, don't listen to Hayate.
            Yay! There's debauchery here!
            Moderating: Manga

Comment

• Sigma UFO
              Hime

• Apr 2011

Ignorance is inexcusable? I didn't know that.
              Seattle will never forget you, Electron Boy! - Donate to the Make-a-Wish Foundation
              Avatar: You're going to LOVE HER!!!!!
              Σ UFO = Mr. Nail Bat = Geoduck = Big Big Duck
              You can believe everything I say, as it is based on emperical data.

Comment

• Momoka Kibi
                Bob of Many Names
                • Apr 2011

I've decided to ignore whatever this thread is about.

Actually, I've come to realize 90% of the reason why I'm ignorant about things. If an article lasts more than seventy words, it starts to feel like rambling. Even if well written.

Yeah, I know this makes me a bad person.
                Avatar: Dark Shadow Princess ( Kae Hiiragi)
                ​

Comment

• ProvidenceBreaker
                  The Childhood Friend You Forgot You Promised To Marry
                  • Apr 2011

I always believed natural selection would cull the ignorant over time, but it seems to be getting to the point that this ignorance will be the downfall of the geeks as well. Though I'm not sure what the solution is, since ignorance these days seems to be intentional. I know several people who refuse to read a newspaper or watch a news program because they fear it will make them appear elitist in the eyes of their trailer trash peers or some such nonsense. One guy literally took offense to the fact that I went out and voted in November 2008. He didn't give a shit who I voted for. He was just upset that I voted at all. This is all pretty fucking crazy.
                  Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

• stfram
                    Robot Maid
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker
                    I always believed natural selection would cull the ignorant over time, but it seems to be getting to the point that this ignorance will be the downfall of the geeks as well.
                    Natural selection is working, but it's not killing them fast enough. That and modern medicine is able to defy the will of Darwin in many cases.

As for the downfall of the geeks...we'll be fine.

Though I'm not sure what the solution is, since ignorance these days seems to be intentional. I know several people who refuse to read a newspaper or watch a news program because they fear it will make them appear elitist in the eyes of their trailer trash peers or some such nonsense.
                    Life is going to take them by surprise before too long...

"Why do these people have rifles, and why are they shooting at me?"

One guy literally took offense to the fact that I went out and voted in November 2008. He didn't give a shit who I voted for. He was just upset that I voted at all. This is all pretty fucking crazy.
                    PERFECT. I don't want idiots voting. If they find it a chore, or beneath them, even better!

Comment

• stfram
                      Robot Maid
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane
                      Here's an article from CNN's Geek Out! blog about being aware of information in the Information Age that I enjoyed reading and completely agree with. You should read it too. If you disagree with it, or it upsets you, you're likely part of the problem.
                      Read it, and agree with it...except this:

But for those that can and might listen, it's your responsibility as a geek and a knowledge-owner to spread that information and help them. They don't have to be a member of our club to understand why it exists or the work we do. And if they don't understand, at least they'll know where they can find some information.
                      If they (still) don't understand, then they certainly aren't going to go into the uncharted reaches of the Internet to resolve their issue (like, actually researching multiple history websites for their school assignments). They'll just go without, and fail at whatever they needed wikipedia for.

Comment

• Draneor
                        House Elf
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by stfram
                        Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker
                        I always believed natural selection would cull the ignorant over time, but it seems to be getting to the point that this ignorance will be the downfall of the geeks as well.
                        Natural selection is working, but it's not killing them fast enough. That and modern medicine is able to defy the will of Darwin in many cases.
                        WTF is this "will of Darwin" nonsense. If you're going to lament how everyone else is so much dumber than you, for God's sake, fucking understand what evolution is. It's not a teleological process.
                        Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

• stfram
                          Robot Maid
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Draneor
                          WTF is this "will of Darwin" nonsense.
                          Then what else should it be called?

Comment

• ProvidenceBreaker
                            The Childhood Friend You Forgot You Promised To Marry
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Draneor
                            WTF is this "will of Darwin" nonsense. If you're going to lament how everyone else is so much dumber than you, for God's sake, fucking understand what evolution is. It's not a teleological process.
                            I know plenty of ignorant people who are smarter than me. I'm not especially learned in the ways of evolution, but it is my understanding that failure is directly related to an inability or refusal to adapt to ones situation or surroundings. If willful ignorance can't trigger something like Darwin's Law, then I don't really know what can.
                            Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

• dunno001
                              Moderat... Ooooh! Kitties!

• Apr 2011

Originally posted by Momoka Kibi
                              I've decided to ignore whatever this thread is about.

Actually, I've come to realize 90% of the reason why I'm ignorant about things. If an article lasts more than seventy words, it starts to feel like rambling. Even if well written.

Yeah, I know this makes me a bad person.
                              I think I may have the opposite problem- if something is long, I expect it to be well-thought and detailed. But I can see why there was a problem with this article: it meant well, but it grazed on too many topics without detailing them, making it feel more like an unfocused rant to me. And that made it a chore to finish...
                              -dunno001
                              -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
                              -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...