X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2012 List of Banished Words and Phrases

Widgets Magazine
    If you didn't read my most recent blog post, the folks at Lake Superior State University in Michigan released their 37th installment of the List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness. The list comprises of nominations that they received around the globe over the past year. Unlike most of the prior lists, in which the majority of the words were political and/or economic in nature, this year's list has a good mix of words and phrases. Some are common words that were overused by media and celebrities alike, some were created by pop-culture phenomina, and some are so worthless and nonsensical that they really have no place in our language anymore.

You can view the full details of the list here.

So withou futher ado, here are the Banished Words and Phrases for Year 2012:

Amazing (received the most nominations with over 1,500)
    Baby Bump
    Shared Sacrifice
    Occupy
    Blowback
    Man Cave
    The New Normal
    Pet Parent
    Win the Future
    Trickeration
    Ginomous
    Thank You in Advance
    Currently Watching | MAL Profile
    Let's make anime great again!

Re: The 2012 List of Banished Words and Phrases

Originally posted by bci110 View Post
    Thank You in Advance
    Oops...I should stop using it at the end of my e-mail when I ask for a change in my order at TRSI.

Comment

It's rather amazing how they want to banish "amazing". I guess we need to start using awesome instead. And after they ban that we move ro radical. After which we'll go to impressive. Then get ready to move on to great. Followed up bodacious. I think people see where this is going.

Even if it's not meant to be taking seriously, and even knowing that some people (probably myself included) have used words and terms incorrectly, I always found the idea of banishing words to be kind of siilly.
      "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
      Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Originally posted by Damius View Post
        Thank You in Advance
        Oops...I should stop using it at the end of my e-mail when I ask for a change in my order at TRSI.
        No, remain defiant! If you give in with that, they'll make you give in other areas. Soon, you won't even be able to say your own name. Remember they can never take away our freedom

*Waits for Freedom to be part of the list in 2013*
        "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"

Comment

If you had a man cave like I do, you'd be offended at the thought you should stop using that phrase when it's so appropriate. Though I tend to consider mine the command center instead (which I'm expecting to make the 2013 list of banned words ). What a dumb list, shared sacrifice aside (which DOES need to be wiped off the map). Occupy itself is fine, it's just its usage in conjunction with a certain activity that obviously put it on the list.
          "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

Has the word 'tween' ever been on that list?

Fucking hate the shit out of that word. I'm really glad it wasn't around when I was actually in that age bracket.
            "Pledge $1000 or more: I will yell your name really loud while I chase a duck."
            -My Collection
            --[plug] I review and blog about anime at Akemi's Anime World [/plug]

Comment

Originally posted by Legion View Post
              Has the word 'tween' ever been on that list?
              Not yet. You can submit it if you want.
              Currently Watching | MAL Profile
              Let's make anime great again!

Comment

Originally posted by Momoka Kibi View Post
                It's rather amazing how they want to banish "amazing". I guess we need to start using awesome instead. And after they ban that we move ro radical. After which we'll go to impressive. Then get ready to move on to great. Followed up bodacious. I think people see where this is going.
                Only thing I can think of out of this is what will we call Spider-Man? Yeah there's "Spectacular", but it's not as memorable. Though perhaps Marvel knew about this which explains why they released another book titled "The Astonishing Spider-Man".

Though the only word I wish they would banish is "weeaboo".

In all seriousness, poor Spider-Man. Well, there is Gumball too, but

Comment

Originally posted by Mateo View Post
                  Considering the folks who use it, banishing wouldn't do much in terms of preventing it from being used...
                  "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Ryos View Post
                    Considering the folks who use it, banishing wouldn't do much in terms of preventing it from being used...
                    True, but then again I think this would apply to any of the words they might decide to banish, have banished or people wish they'd banish. I mean I doubt anyone is going to go "Oh, better stop using amazing" for example.

Comment

Sora Naegino would be most disappointed to learn of this. Especially when doing the previews for each episode of Kaleido Star.
                      Matsuri intently studies! || my avatar library
                      ~ Currently Watching: Sailor Moon SuperS; Ronja, The Robber's Daughter; Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise
                      ~ Last Watched: Sailor Moon S (+film); Children Who Chase Lost Voices; KanColle; When Marnie Was There; The Tale of the Princess Kaguya; The Wind Rises
                      homepageblogreviewsanilistkitsu

Comment

Originally posted by Serial Experiments Nobue View Post
                        Sora Naegino would be most disappointed to learn of this. Especially when doing the previews for each episode of Kaleido Star.
                        Clearly this means Sora, Peter Parker, and the lead of Gumball (sorry never watched it) will need to join forces. Working together they can free the word "amazing" from its prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Momoka Kibi View Post
                          Clearly this means Sora, Peter Parker, and the lead of Gumball (sorry never watched it) will need to join forces. Working together they can free the word "amazing" from its prison.
                          Doesn't sound like an "amazing" team-up. Gumball would get Darwin to join in create a plan only to stupidly lead to disaster. Parker would suggest they sell their loved relationships to the devil. I haven't seen Kaleido Star, so I'll use Kreskin instead. His idea would they all predict an alien invasion to win respect of the word, only to be proven wrong and they all donate $50,000 to charity only to BS they were right. Yup, they're doomed.

Comment

Doesn't sound like an "amazing" team-up. Gumball would get Darwin to join in create a plan only to stupidly lead to disaster. Parker would suggest they sell their loved relationships to the devil. I haven't seen Kaleido Star, so I'll use Kreskin instead.
                            Ah, but you're missing out on her secret weapon then... the Legendary Great Maneuver. Surely that can be used to sway minds to the Amazing team's favor.
                            Matsuri intently studies! || my avatar library
                            ~ Currently Watching: Sailor Moon SuperS; Ronja, The Robber's Daughter; Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise
                            ~ Last Watched: Sailor Moon S (+film); Children Who Chase Lost Voices; KanColle; When Marnie Was There; The Tale of the Princess Kaguya; The Wind Rises
                            homepageblogreviewsanilistkitsu

Comment

Parker would suggest they sell their loved relationships to the devil.
                              Oh, so you're familiar with that comic as well? I haven't read it for myself, but I have heard what it's about. Both the concept and the apparent reason for it is just insulting. I mean seriously....

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X