X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I hate when stuff gets damaged during shipping

Originally posted by stfram View Post
    Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
    I guess technically I could've folded the whole thing small enough to fit into a letter or legal envelope, for that matter, since it's a damaged return that can't be used for anything else (unless TRSI decides to sell it at a discount as damaged goods, or they or Sentai use it as a giveaway item for something).
    That's an even better idea; send them a pic of the damage, they approve the return, and approve you sending it the cheapest way back as possible.
    I actually did send them four pictures of the damage, though TRSI's good and likely would have approved the return without them, no questions asked, as always. And again, while a crease makes it undesirable for me to own, I'm sure there's someone else out there for whom it's completely a non-issue, for the right price, should TRSI or Sentai decide to move it along in some other way.

So, yeah, if anyone out there wins an HSotD lithograph at a convention panel next year, and it's got a crease in the middle and is numbered 150/250, then you can feel extra-special knowing that your prize is well-traveled.
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I dislike when things get damaged in the mail, but I don't really complain because I get a free replacement and don't need to send anything back. :D
      Time never betrays dreams. But on the flip side, dreams must not betray time.

Comment

I got my replacement DVD from J-List yesterday, and was happy to see it arrived safe and undamaged.

OH WAIT

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

*slow clap for UPS*
        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"

Comment

Boxes! What the fuck are they!

When someone sent me a bare PlayStation 2 console in a giant bubble mailer via UPS Ground some years ago, I was amazed it didn't turn into fragments or a PancakeStation. Yes, it may have been a defective unit being sent to me for a repair job, but I don't know what I would have told the person if the unit had been totally destroyed enroute...
          Help get Higurashi: When They Cry on Steam!

New & Early releases thread | MAL profile | anime collection | Avatar: Kobato Hasegawa (Haganai)

Comment

*slow clap for UPS*
            United Parcel Smashers. Though in this case, I just think bubble mailers are the devil. Sure they may cost less to send but is it really worth it when the breakage rate is so much higher?

Originally posted by cress2000 View Post
            Boxes! What the fuck are they!

When someone sent me a bare PlayStation 2 console in a giant bubble mailer via UPS Ground some years ago, I was amazed it didn't turn into fragments or a PancakeStation. Yes, it may have been a defective unit being sent to me for a repair job, but I don't know what I would have told the person if the unit had been totally destroyed enroute...
            "By not spending an extra $10 for shipping it in a box, you just lost yourself a $200 system. Congratulations! Would you like me to return your new door stops?"
            "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

Originally posted by cress2000 View Post
              Yes, it may have been a defective unit being sent to me for a repair job, but I don't know what I would have told the person if the unit had been totally destroyed enroute...
              "RETURN TO SENDER" scrawled with a sharpie on the padded envelope?

Got a recent experience that parallels that...

Won an EBay auction for a pristine copy of the hardcover Macross Gold Book. Slipcover, obi, dustjacket, film cell, and poster all near flawless. As flawless as a book printed in 1984 could be.

$97+$68 shipping from Japan. Book normally goes for $200+, not including shipping.

The look on my face when the postman handed me a tyvek JapanPost mailing BAG would have killed the seller in Japan on sight.

I then opened it up, found the book wrapped in a thin layer of bubblewrap...and it was in perfect shape. Scrutinized it...no flaws, (other than what was noted in the auction description).

I'm still amazed. Still debating on feedback.

On the bright side:

Also ordered a heavy, two-volume hardcover set called "International Armaments" (first edition, 1965) from an Amazon seller. Received it in a heavy box packed in packing peanuts. Better than described condition, and the seller is gonna get awesome feedback from me!

Comment

I got my replacement DVD from J-List yesterday, and was happy to see it arrived safe and undamaged.

OH WAIT
                WTF, you live in CA so it's not like is staying very long in their hands.

Haven't had any issues with DVD keepcase releases being shipped in padded envelopes (hell, I expect it), but it looks like your UPS hub is filled with hateful people.

Comment

Final updates.

I decided my replacement DVD from J-List was okay, since the data layer only had a couple of scratches on it, it was cheap, and I didn't want to deal with the whole thing any more. I did send J-List another e-mail, though. I really have to give them props for their responses through this whole thing. They apologized, offered another replacement if the one I decided to keep turned out to not work, and put a small credit on my account. I took the disc and the cover insert and put them in a new keepcase, and that's that.

My replacement lithograph from TRSI arrived today. During the replacement process, there was a tiny mistake and they ended up shipping it to my billing address (home) instead of matching the separate shipping address (where I am all day) that was on the original order. Kind of a problem, since I don't like having things dumped out in the open on my doorstep, but I got someone to grab it for me and keep it safe until I was done with work.

TRSI had taken my comments I'd sent them under consideration, and also wanted to ensure my replacement didn't end up like my original lithograph, so they had an extra sheet of cardboard packed with the lithograph, inside a much sturdier envelope, with "Fragile Artwork Do Not Bend" written in huge letters on both sides.

The first thing I noticed was a fucking crease in the envelope.

So, being all pissed off, I opened it up, and found that somehow, unbelievably, when it was bent in transit this time, it had been bent enough to crease the envelope, the extra sheet of cardboard, and the cardboard backing shrinkwrapped to the lithograph, but NOT enough to crease the lithograph itself.

So.

Yeah.

Resolved both original issues, though neither in the simplest of ways. I'm not going to stop shopping at either store, since you can't stop mail delivery people from not giving a shit, particularly around the holidays, and both stores have always done well by me (and certainly during the replacement process for these two items as well).

Now I'm down to wondering what sort of shape my Deep Discount package is in, that shipped to me way back on December 7 from L.A. and made it to Richmond (half an hour south of Napa Valley) before being diverted to goddamn Cincinnati and is now bouncing around God knows where across the continent. I have bad enough luck with DD when things actually come directly to me.
                  asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

Now I'm down to wondering what sort of shape my Deep Discount package is in, that shipped to me way back on December 7 from L.A. and made it to Richmond (half an hour south of Napa Valley) before being diverted to goddamn Cincinnati and is now bouncing around God knows where across the continent. I have bad enough luck with DD when things actually come directly to me.
                    Ah. As suspected, I now have to extend my interaction with the mentally-challenged staff at Deep Discount in order to exchange an item. And here I kind of thought this self-indulgent thread of frustration and crankiness was over.

My package arrived after a sixteen day journey from L.A. to Richmond to east across the U.S. and back to Richmond, before it was finally delivered to me in Napa Valley. Most of those extra days were for those incompetent assholes at the post office to not only sort it incorrectly a few times, but to also mishandle the box just for shits and giggles, so that by the time I finally got the package, the box was beaten up and the Madlax collection inside was a shrinkwrapped keepcase full of loose discs and plastic debris. Now I have to go through the typically unpleasant and headdesk-initiating process of exchanging an item with DD, which keeps happening to me and never gets any less stupid, since their discounts seem to be born of hiring incapable people they can pay with pennies.

I need to stop ordering things around the holidays, because the post office can't be trusted even during times that are not busy.

I also need to stop ordering from Deep Discount, since their shitty packing job likely contributed to the damage, by allowing the contents to bounce around wildly.

I also wish every studio would stop using Stackpaks, since there's only one point of failure in those things and if that single hub/spindle gives out during shipping, you're shit out of luck as far as undamaged discs.
                    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

I also need to stop ordering from Deep Discount, since their shitty packing job likely contributed to the damage, by allowing the contents to bounce around wildly.
                      I stopped ordering from them because they always have the worst packaging and unsurprisingly highest likelihood of floaters. I miss some of the great discounts they have from time to time, but I like knowing my chances of getting intact merchandise went up considerably.
                      "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

Most of my destroyed packages have been from ebay sellers. Ebay seriously needs to have a remedial packing tutorial for anyone before they become a seller.

Once I bought Naruto manga 1-50. The package was delivered with 1 book in it. The box was ripped open in many places. Why did USPS even bother delivering it?

I've also received books that were just wrapped in brown paper and then taped up with scotch tape (NOT packing tape to at least give it a little more sturdiness). Yeah that was torn open and some books missing. I contacted the seller and they said yeah, the USPS is handling packages poorly. Uh - your packing skills suck.

Comment

Originally posted by hachi View Post
                          Most of my destroyed packages have been from ebay sellers. Ebay seriously needs to have a remedial packing tutorial for anyone before they become a seller.

Once I bought Naruto manga 1-50. The package was delivered with 1 book in it. The box was ripped open in many places. Why did USPS even bother delivering it?

I've also received books that were just wrapped in brown paper and then taped up with scotch tape (NOT packing tape to at least give it a little more sturdiness). Yeah that was torn open and some books missing. I contacted the seller and they said yeah, the USPS is handling packages poorly. Uh - your packing skills suck.
                          Situations like that are why when I sold items, I made sure that those things were packaged securely (at times, potentially overdoing it). I know I wouldn't want to receive a package in a tattered state - why would I want to subject that to a buyer?

My least favorite is when something is fragile (and the seller writes "fragile"), only to have the item in a simple envelope with no cushioning. Have had that happen on several occasions, but at least the items were in one piece.
                          The casual cosplayer formerly known as Hielostar
                          MyAnimeList/Twitter

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine
                          Working...
                          X