X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate when stuff gets damaged during shipping

Widgets Magazine
    I really do hate when someone working for USPS, or UPS, or FedEx, or whoever, just has a total "I don't give a shit" moment, and a package on its way to me is damaged because of it. It inconveniences me because I have to do an exchange. It inconveniences the company I bought it from because they have to send out another item and submit the returned one to the manufacturer for reimbursement, or eat the cost if they can't be reimbursed. It inconveniences the manufacturer, because they definitely have to eat the cost if they reimburse the company that submitted it as a return.

Today both packages I received in the mail contained damaged items, for which I just initiated the process to get replacements from the stores where I ordered the items.

One was a package that was molested by UPS during its journey to me from J-List's San Diego location. I don't think I've ever seen a keepcase as thoroughly crushed as the one that was damaged in my package. It was completely flattened, the sides had blown out, and there were shards of plastic everywhere. It's a perfect example of why shipping DVDs in a bubble mailer is a completely stupid idea.

The other was the new Highschool of the Dead lithograph from TRSI that was shipped in a large cardboard envelope via USPS Priority Mail. And those lazy, incompetent fuckers bent it in half somewhere along the way.

*sigh*
    asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
    Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Re: I hate when stuff gets damaged during shipping

I love it when Amazon ships video game special editions in bubble mailers. Those SEs tend to be packaged in flimsy cardstock boxes, and if they fit in a bubble mailer...that's how they ship! Of course, they arrive damaged more often than they don't.

Amazon has a "leave packaging feedback" option. If they get enough complaints, they temporarily "investigate" the product and it may start shipping it in a box afterward.

Then another game comes out, and the cycle repeats, because they can't fucking learn to apply the change globally.

It baffling. It's irritating as hell. Their saving grace is the painless return policy. Just keep returning until you manage to get lucky and receive a pristine one.

I wish there was a TRSI for video games.
    Help get Higurashi: When They Cry on Steam!

New & Early releases thread | MAL profile | anime collection | Avatar: Kobato Hasegawa (Haganai)

Comment

Damn. I only had situation nearly that bad recently. I got both Toradora! Regular Editions for TRSI recently and the first one had an extremely broken case. It was cracked down the entire back side of it and two of the four teeth holding in the second disc were broken off and rattling around inside the case. I didn't open it up and start watching until a while after I got it and I wanted to watch it then, so I didn't return it. Hopefully somewhere down the line I'll find it for cheap and just buy another copy.

And the Clannad lithograph should arrive tomorrow. I really hope that isn't damaged, especially since it's the last one, so it's not like I can just get another one.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
        And those lazy, incompetent fuckers bent it in half somewhere along the way.
        That reminds me. You know what's always hilarious? Getting the mail, finding a large envelope that's "bent" and finding that it's say right on the envelope the following "Do Not Bend!". Ok, to be fair usually the envelope is too large for the mail box, but..

Yeah, I've suffered damage packages and in some cases lost packages before. Still there begs the question. How much do we blame on the company we're buying from and how much do we blame on the shipping company?
        "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
        Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Originally posted by cress2000 View Post
          I wish there was a TRSI for video games.
          It's amusing that I got a SkimWords link ad for Amazon's video game section right there at the end of your post complaining about Amazon's shipping on video games.

Comment

I'm always "afraid" that my packages will be damaged... I buy more and more often from Amazon JP and let's say there boxes are not the best quality ever and DHL are not gentle... I was lucky up to now...

Comment

The predictable unreliability of the delivery system is actually why the first time I bought a lithograph will be my last because I ran into the exact same issue. The usual sturdiness of Right Stuf packaging has saved the innards on more than one occasion when I was all but sure I'd have to do a return. As much as delivery people are making, I've never figured out why I'm always justifiably terrified to see what will happen with something on the way.
              "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

I've ordered stuff from Rightstuf and Amazon for years using standard shipping and I can't recall ever receiving a single damaged product besides maybe a slight bent corner on a book or two. I used to order my anime-related merchandise from a particular site, but when I received a few items that were damaged and found out that they didn't seem to have a return policy after contacting customer service, I immediately stopped buying from them. I later found out they sold counterfeit items so that pretty much sealed the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowfairyX View Post
                  Amazon for years using standard shipping and I can't recall ever receiving a single damaged product besides maybe a slight bent corner on a book or two.
                  I swear there was a time where amazon shipped practically everything in cardboard, and times were good. I really liked it when they shrinkwrapped items to a cardboard panel at the bottom of a nice-sized box, but I haven't seen that in a long time. But at some point, they switched to bubble mailers for DVD/Blu-ray and video games unless you order them with other things that ship from the same warehouse.

I had to return Persona 2 once, Trails in the Sky twice, and Mimana thrice before receiving perfect copies. By some miracle, Fate/EXTRA was perfect on the first try.
                  Help get Higurashi: When They Cry on Steam!

New & Early releases thread | MAL profile | anime collection | Avatar: Kobato Hasegawa (Haganai)

Comment

I'm usually pretty lucky with these things, but a few years ago I did receive a package that had literately been run-over.

Comment

A couple of months ago, I received a couple of books off Ebay in a manilla (padded) envelope. Now, everything normally would have been fine, except that the letter carrier who delivered it couldn't quite get the mailbox to close with the package inside. Now, this would have been fine any other day, except it was pouring rain . . .

And its like the manilla envelope just dissolved. Not only do all three books have water damage in roughly the same area, some of the yellow dye seeped into the pages, too. The package wasn't insured, the books are out of print, and it was baffling - every other time, the postman has brought packages like that to the front door.
                      "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Follow-ups:

J-List has been very good about communicating with me, not that I've ever had a problem with communication with them before. But the apparent complexities of the issue are obnoxious, though kind of understandable. I had to supply/confirm my phone number so J-List could have UPS contact me to confirm that the item was damaged (which UPS has not yet done) as part of their process to file a UPS claim. There's also apparently a chance that UPS may request that I send them the damaged item (which, quite frankly, I don't feel comfortable with doing considering it's a hentai DVD and we all know how well that shit works out when non-anime people like those undoubtedly staffing the UPS claims department get involved, but that's a bridge to cross later, perhaps). In the meantime, J-List may also send me a replacement straight away, regardless of whether the rest has been worked out or not, but I don't know what's holding up that decision.

TRSI has been quick and responsive as usual. I got an RMA number, and shipped my lithograph back, and will receive a replacement once they've received the old one. I also included a comment about how ensuring such things are stamped "do not bend" or should be labeled as photographs or something fragile would be a good idea; oddly, my Clannad lithograph was stamped "do not bend" while the HSotD one was not. Granted, postal employees may be too stupid to read such stamps (they're clearly too stupid to realize a large sturdy envelope should not be bent in half), but it couldn't hurt. The only disappointment is that, as per usual, I was responsible for the return postage, which in this case was considerable given the large dimensions of the lithograph, and which totally obliterated both my GA discount and the Studio Sale discount that motivated me to buy that HSotD lithograph in the first place. Can't be helped, I guess.

*sigh again*
                        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"

Comment

The only disappointment is that, as per usual, I was responsible for the return postage, which in this case was considerable given the large dimensions of the lithograph, and which totally obliterated both my GA discount and the Studio Sale discount that motivated me to buy that HSotD lithograph in the first place. Can't be helped, I guess.
                          *sigh again*
                          If the litho was damaged, and trsi approved the return, couldn't you just roll the thing up and stick it in a mailing tube?

With that said, I've also received a damaged litho from TRSI, but decided the damage (a 6-inch long crease) was far less than the hassle of returning it. All my other lithos have arrived just fine, including the HSOTD one.
                          Last edited by stfram; 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stfram View Post
                            The only disappointment is that, as per usual, I was responsible for the return postage, which in this case was considerable given the large dimensions of the lithograph, and which totally obliterated both my GA discount and the Studio Sale discount that motivated me to buy that HSotD lithograph in the first place. Can't be helped, I guess.
                            *sigh again*
                            If the litho was damaged, and trsi approved the return, couldn't you just roll the thing up and stick it in a mailing tube?

With that said, I've also received a damaged litho from TRSI, but decided the damage (a 6-inch long crease) was far less than the hassle of returning it. All my other lithos have arrived just fine, including the HSOTD one.
                            ...yeah, good call. That would've saved me a few bucks, but it just never occurred to me. Uguu~

I guess technically I could've folded the whole thing small enough to fit into a letter or legal envelope, for that matter, since it's a damaged return that can't be used for anything else (unless TRSI decides to sell it at a discount as damaged goods, or they or Sentai use it as a giveaway item for something).

I'm not going to get upset about a small crease, but when the crease goes all the way across the middle of the image, that's pretty bad.
                            asa --> S^2 --> Hayate

Comment

I guess technically I could've folded the whole thing small enough to fit into a letter or legal envelope, for that matter, since it's a damaged return that can't be used for anything else (unless TRSI decides to sell it at a discount as damaged goods, or they or Sentai use it as a giveaway item for something).
                              That's an even better idea; send them a pic of the damage, they approve the return, and approve you sending it the cheapest way back as possible.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X