X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanksgiving sucks

I love Thanksgiving.

It's one of very few holidays when most of my immediate family makes the effort to come together in one place. But after what I've seen in this year's gathering, it will probably be not as important to some of them, next year. Part, if not the big part of the reason is that our mom is no longer around. She died two years ago this month (about two weeks before Thanksgiving of 2009). We went from four generations to only three. Most of us still feel the void she left. We always had an empty chair at the table for the first two years, but this year, we had some extra guests to fill all the chairs and a few more.

We all had dinner at my mom's old apartment. My oldest brother and my sister's oldest son (with his girlfriend and their six year old son), still lives there.

It was my sister (who also did most of the cooking), her daughter (who brought over her boyfriend and their son), and two younger sons (one of them brought a friend), the home attendant (who takes care of my brother part-time), and her husband, and me. My sister's boyfriend eventually came (he's not the father of any of her kids, BTW). My older brother is still in Florida, and my oldest nephew's girlfriend and their son were spending their Thanksgiving at her family's place, which is also in Florida.

The mood that I read the most from my niece, nephews and my sister's boyfriend was they just wanted to eat and then go someplace else. No one was really interested to stay and chat for a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if next year, it will only be my sister, oldest brother and myself, or it could just be my oldest brother and myself.

Danny

Comment

I laughed at the root post, but... I kinda also think that would be a cool day to have! Then again, many holidays depress me- I don't have the time to go home for Thanksgiving, don't have the money to do so for X-mas, I don't have anyone to be with for Valentine's Day (or White Day, not to mention the couples with affection make me sick and sadder...), and April Fools' Day (and Halloween for some) gives too many people an excuse to be a complete ass. Yeah... I don't like holidays...
      -dunno001
      -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
      -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Comment

I don't celebrate Thanksgiving or really any holiday (other than Tanabata because it happens to fall on my birthday). Back when my grandmother was alive, most of the family did go have dinner at her house, which I miss. But now that she's gone, there's really no central gathering point nor do I feel the need to celebrate it.

But I do get the day off. For this year, I made myself curry rice.
        Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by dunno001 View Post
          I don't have anyone to be with for Valentine's Day (or White Day, not to mention the couples with affection make me sick and sadder...)
          I hear you on that one. I always get bitter on New Years and Valentines Day, and I don't act like it but I am emotionally bitter towards guys who get laid all the time or have girlfriends, especially guys who are complete ass holes whom the women always go for for some reason. /end bitter loneliness rant *Goes back to watching depressing themed shows*

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X