X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving sucks

Widgets Magazine
    Thanksgiving is a fun and happy time for people with no responsibilities.

For everyone else, it's a royal pain in the ass.

Come to think of it, the same could be said for most holidays.

I look forward to my idea of a holiday: "national leave me the hell alone day." It would be celebrated by sleeping in. The tradtional holiday costume would be whatever you wear to bed. Holiday meal: frozen burritos and water out of the tap. Anyone who sends cards or gifts on that day would be dropped into the north Atlantic ocean. Anyone who suggests travelling to visit your family would be deported to Bulgaria. Any stores that promoted holiday sales specials would be forcibly closed by the National Guard.

Re: Thanksgiving sucks

Well thanks for giving us that.
    Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
    Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

Hmm... I think you need to be less bothered by what other people are doing during holidays. Personally, I don't celebrate Thanksgiving (although I've had about 8 people call me today to ask if I wanted to come over for dinner, no thanks), but I'm not mad at them because they want to get together. There are a few things I think of when I think of holidays:

1) Day off from work (always nice)
      2) If I do work, holiday pay/overtime (again, always nice)
      3) Tons of free food and leftovers afterwards (even if I don't go to the events, people still wind up bringing me food on the way back from their parties/dinners so I don't have to cook for the rest of the week)

So while I'm not a person who celebrates, I'm not a person who hates holidays.
      Figure Enthusiast
      Moderator: Comics, Movies, General Anime, Off-topic, Gaming Goodness

Comment

Thanksgiving is great. Because if the food isn't enough, MST3K used to be a part of it (and for some people it still is)
        "I'm sorry, did you say something? Because your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass."
        Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table~
        Avatar: Grown up Yue Ayase from Negima.

Comment

As shameful as it may be, my main focus on holidays can be seen with Thanksgiving. I treat them as excuses at best. Thanksgiving? Excuse to eat more. Beyond that, I don't really celebrate much.

Comment

My Thanksgiving consisted of sleeping through most of it, then waking up to go to work and get yelled at all night by the general public. At least I was paid overtime, and staff dining was actually quite good...
            Online profiles: ANN DVDAf eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Zeether View Post
              Thanksgiving is great. Because if the food isn't enough,
              This is highly YMMV because being on my own, I attempted to head out and get a meal to make the day special and ended up eating top ramen because there were, I kid you not, 5 restaurants open.

At least it was a day off, which in the grand scheme of things is all that matters.
              "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

I love it. My kids got to participate in putting together the traditional meal that my family has and they did it with their grandmother who had a blast teaching them cooking tricks. They all participated well in dinner conversation, showed off some good manners, had fun, enjoyed dessert and generally had a great family experience. and they got to play lots while I worked on simulcasts and picked up deals online for them for their Christmas presents.
                Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Comment

Here goes my exciting Thanksgiving.
                  1. Wake up at noon
                  2. Eat a chicken sub from Wednesday for lunch
                  3. Watch anime and Football
                  4. Have my cousin drop off extra food from their thanksgiving party (around 9pm, she was on her way home)
                  5. Eat the pumpkin pie and biscuits, save the rest for the weekend.
                  6. Go to sleep.

Yup, such a hassle these holidays. Doing nothing but watch TV all day. I can see why you are so bothered by it.
                  Figure Enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
                    Here goes my exciting Thanksgiving.
                    Here's mine.

1. Wake up at noon
                    2. Drive out and eat with the family at 4pm.
                    3. Hang out until 8p, head home, prep for going to gamestop at midnight to grab a few cheap deals on games.
                    4. Stand in line, get games. Got 3 out of 4 that I wanted. Also grabbed a few deals online.
                    5. Go to sleep.

Friday morning was a pain in the ass. Had to call Newegg and force them to file a claim on my lost Halo Anniversary shipment. I hate arguing with a CS rep that thinks the package isn't lost (it's been 'out for delivery' since the 16th). I thought I was doing the dead parrot sketch, except with a dead package.

One thing I do like to do is hit the stores late on Friday. It's fun to find deals still remaining at 9pm.

With the exception of Newegg, everything else about TG and BF has been fine for me.

Comment

It's gotten to the point that any occasion where I have to deal with my MIL sucks. She's a misogynist - although she won't admit to it, but too many comments she's made over the years to me and my family point that way. She doesn't agree with how my husband and I are raising our kids, but takes it out on me because of course it's my fault.

Let's see - at Thanksgiving she didn't like that our older daughter didn't eat the meal there. She's a 2 year old and NEEDS to eat lunch at her usual time, else we get a major meltdown. She eats at 11:30am. They weren't having the meal until 2:30pm.

Didn't like that after a 2 hour car ride, I didn't immediately hand the infant over to her. Baby had a dirty diaper and was hungry - except at night she can't go more than 2 hours without food. And I'm breastfeeding so I'm the only one that can feed her. I think of the needs of my children first.

And to top it off she blew up at me when I told her to stop sending my older daughter behind a bookshelf to pick up some toys. When my kid drops something in an area I find dangerous I get it - I would NEVER send her back there.
                      1 -The area was under a window sill that my daughter was almost hitting.
                      2 - I don't want my daughter to think it's okay to move furniture. Last thing I need is for her to do it at home and have something topple on her.
                      3 - It was ever dusty back there. I dress my daughter up in a nice jumper and next thing I see is it covered in huge dust bunnies since that woman was sending the kid back there.
                      I told my MIL to stop it. She blows up at me. Hubby was there for the whole thing and took my side. MIL ended with telling me 'never to speak to me like that again.' Sorry lady, if you try to make my kid do something I don't like, this is going to happen again.

Only good thing that came out of this is now hubby understands why I told him there's no way I could go on a vacation and take his mom along. We took my mom when we went to Disney a year ago to help us with our daughter and he told his mom she'd get to go next time. This incident makes him understand there is no way that will EVER happen.

Comment

I got paid time off and a lot of food cooked for me at multiple relatives' houses. I'm good.
                        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                        Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by hachi View Post
                          She's a misogynist
                          I honestly do think that word gets overused at times. She sounds more of a nag than a person who hates women. My family specializes in demanding women (one of the reasons why I stay home during the holidays), but I don't think any of them are misogynist. I believe the true intention of that particular word has been diluted over the years.

Meanwhile misandry rarely gets used. :D
                          Figure Enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Gatts View Post
                            She's a misogynist
                            I honestly do think that word gets overused at times. She sounds more of a nag than a person who hates women. My family specializes in demanding women (one of the reasons why I stay home during the holidays), but I don't think any of them are misogynist. I believe the true intention of that particular word has been diluted over the years.

Meanwhile misandry rarely gets used. :D
                            Let's see, she didn't treat her 3 kids equally growing up. She treated her daughter much worse than her 2 sons. When it comes to giving examples of her kids misbehaving, it's always her daughter that is mentioned. One example is when she mentioned an incident when her daughter was 2 and having a tantrum (which 2 year olds just do a lot), she mentioned with a kind of relish of just stepping over the girl and ignoring her. Her daughter passed away a few years ago and my mother was kind of horrified that my MIL would speak poorly of her deceased daughter. At my bridal shower, one of my aunts was watching her daughter and my other aunt's daughter and my MIL mentioned how it was too bad that she didn't have a boy. She will make excuses for her grandson to no end (he's freaking perfect to her) - he's 22 and a college drop out and a compulsive liar. But my daughter is a spoiled brat (she's only 2, she doesn't know enough to be a brat).

Comment

speak poorly of her deceased daughter
                              Ouch, I rescind my prior comments. I don't know anyone who would do that unless their child was a convicted felon (of course live children get dogged on all of the time).
                              Figure Enthusiast

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X