Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can We Please See an ANN Alternative?

Originally posted by TheGoldenWaste View Post
    Those are valid opinions of a show, any show in fact. I can think of several shows where I'd agree with those assessments. Reviews are always subjective and that person's opinion. There is no such thing as an unbiased review. You'll agree, you'll disagree and move on and see the show for yourself. There is no such thing as a dumb or wrong opinion. All opinions are worth reading and listening to because I'm open-minded about other people's thoughts and sometimes give shows a second chance I normally would not. I don't always agree with FP reviews, I don't always agree with ANN either but I respect their opinions and commentaries. Reviews should never affect your opinion of a show in the first place, that just shows you can't think for yourself and develop your own personal opinion.
    You're not really taking your own advice though. He's also entitled to his opinion on reviews. He doesn't have to look at it objectively from a non-biased point of view. Whether or not he finds a website's reviews useful is completely up to him. So your argument actually validates what he's saying. Lots of people do not like ANN's reviews at all. It is a perfectly valid opinion. Like I said, reviews are supposed to be tools to allow you to find shows you want to watch. Since they're tools, whether or not a person finds them useful is on a person by person basis. He doesn't have to respect anything, much like you don't have to respect every anime you don't like.

^ But there are alternatives. You keep writing as if ANN is the only place on the internet to find information about anime and reviews. You're writing on Fandom Post as if ANN is the only place to get news and reviews of anime and related topics. That's like reading the New York Post and saying you wish there was an alternative paper to the New York Times.
    I want a one-stop news source for the previous things I listed that can be used at my convenience in a short amount of time. You can't do that at other sites without spending a lot of time digging through forum threads, etc. Even Mr. Bevridge admitted this site mostly covers R1 news and doesn't do as good of a job also covering Japanese news. If that was the case with the news section of this website as far as the content and functionality I want, I wouldn't have made this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Myers View Post
      Originally posted by TheGoldenWaste View Post
      Those are valid opinions of a show, any show in fact. I can think of several shows where I'd agree with those assessments. Reviews are always subjective and that person's opinion. There is no such thing as an unbiased review. You'll agree, you'll disagree and move on and see the show for yourself. There is no such thing as a dumb or wrong opinion. All opinions are worth reading and listening to because I'm open-minded about other people's thoughts and sometimes give shows a second chance I normally would not. I don't always agree with FP reviews, I don't always agree with ANN either but I respect their opinions and commentaries. Reviews should never affect your opinion of a show in the first place, that just shows you can't think for yourself and develop your own personal opinion.
      You're not really taking your own advice though. He's also entitled to his opinion on reviews. He doesn't have to look at it objectively from a non-biased point of view. Whether or not he finds a website's reviews useful is completely up to him. So your argument actually validates what he's saying. Lots of people do not like ANN's reviews at all. It is a perfectly valid opinion. Like I said, reviews are supposed to be tools to allow you to find shows you want to watch. Since they're tools, whether or not a person finds them useful is on a person by person basis. He doesn't have to respect anything, much like you don't have to respect every anime you don't like.
      I take my own advice but thank you for that. I know he is entitled to his opinion on reviews. I was trying to put it kindly to the gentleman that he is letting someone else's opinions and review change his own. I was simply informing him that it doesn't and shouldn't be that way. Of course, it's a person's perogative if he or she wants to have a Play-Doh mind. I won't stop them from being close-minded if that's their choice. The majority of people who hate ANN reviews are the very people who hate ANN and read the review out of preconceived hate. It's rather pointless really to listen to the haters because they have already closed their mind to ANN's point of view and opinions.

As for an ANN alternative, stop complaining and do it yourself. It's you who has to take the charge and roll with it. If you are serious about wanting it then you should get serious and start laying the groundwork. I won't bother visiting since I get plenty of news from here, ANN and CR. I'm content with what sources I can go to for my anime-related news. I would wish you well on such an endeavor. It won't be easy or fun.
      Most Wanted US Releases: RahXephon (BD upgrade), Kemonozume | Current Avatar: Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyDog View Post
        yet I have to, for the encyclopedia if nothing else, just to keep up with my "Most Wanted License List" here (so there I am, looking up numbers and staff and cast in Gosick and Hayate and Manabi Straight and feeling not entirely wanted).
        This is why I don't participate in those lists here. ANN, in my eyes, does not feel like a very welcoming place, especially for people with eclectic tastes like mine. To then reward them with ad revenue for something that has nothing to do with them... well, I don't want to do that. I can't lie in that I would like to see an alternative, but it's going to have a very hard time breaking out with the name ANN already has for itself.
        -dunno001
        -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
        -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Comment

I don't have any issues with ANN doing what it does (essentially press releases and reviews) but I would not mind seeing anime journalism get more journalistic. To do more researched pieces and investigations. To have more interviews with the mangakas, production assistants, character designers, directors. To have more intellectually challenging explorations of themes. To have animation and drawing tutorials. To provide more background and historical context.

There is a lot of exploration which is rarely done. A lot of the depth I would like would need to have at least one correspondant in Japan. (Although likely if I had such a site I would want to cover animation from all over the globe and not just anime- there is some brilliant stuff from India and France and other places which gets very little coverage from anyone. )

(It also seems a little silly discussing improvements to an anime news site on an anime news site) I like FP.. hell, people are much friendlier here, over there if you mention something in the forums, people jump all over your case trying to disprove and discredit you, and if they can't beat you with your facts they question your semantics... I rarely see a conversation there that doesn't devolve into "shouting" matches.

Comment

I take my own advice but thank you for that. I know he is entitled to his opinion on reviews. I was trying to put it kindly to the gentleman that he is letting someone else's opinions and review change his own. I was simply informing him that it doesn't and shouldn't be that way. Of course, it's a person's perogative if he or she wants to have a Play-Doh mind. I won't stop them from being close-minded if that's their choice. The majority of people who hate ANN reviews are the very people who hate ANN and read the review out of preconceived hate. It's rather pointless really to listen to the haters because they have already closed their mind to ANN's point of view and opinions.
            He doesn't have a play-doh mind. The reviews are not useful to them, because he doesn't like the biased slant he thinks they have. That's his opinion. He's entitled to it. You can't decide what's useful to other people or what kind of anime they like with what properties.

And no, not everyone who doesn't like ANN's reviews just hates them because they don't like ANN. I gave a personal anecdote from someone who isn't a forum lurker and was not a hardcore fan. She certainly had no preconceived notions about ANN at all and she still found them off-putting and pretentious.

As for an ANN alternative, stop complaining and do it yourself. It's you who has to take the charge and roll with it. If you are serious about wanting it then you should get serious and start laying the groundwork. I won't bother visiting since I get plenty of news from here, ANN and CR. I'm content with what sources I can go to for my anime-related news. I would wish you well on such an endeavor. It won't be easy or fun.
            I don't have the time or resources. And you're actually complaining most about this thread and other people's opinions. I just think it's a very good idea. I don't believe ANN is so monolithic that another site can't be successful. I mean we have this site for R1 news, and ANN does cover that. So I think it's a worthwhile thing to pursue certainly.

Most fandoms have multiple news sites. For example, with horror film news, there's 4 or 5 major news sites. There is no deference there to only using one source. I find the lead editor of BloodyDisgusting extremely annoying and biased, so I use Fangoria instead. I don't know why anime would be so wildly different. We're even more removed from the source (Japan) than most other fandoms are.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Myers View Post
              I don't have the time or resources. And you're actually complaining most about this thread and other people's opinions. I just think it's a very good idea. I don't believe ANN is so monolithic that another site can't be successful. I mean we have this site for R1 news, and ANN does cover that. So I think it's a worthwhile thing to pursue certainly.
              Then you really can't demand or ask for an alternative if you are not willing to take an initiative to change the way anime news is reported. You want the credit though I am sure if a credible alternative could launch. Oh yes, you do come across as one of those kinds of people to me. You don't want to do the work that is involved in running a site. You have constantly complained you want, would like and want someone to pursue an alternative in this thread. You admit that you don't have the resources or time, thus you have already condemned the venture and alternative you so want to failure upon launch.

I'm done here in this thread because I see it won't go anywhere and it's all futile.
              Most Wanted US Releases: RahXephon (BD upgrade), Kemonozume | Current Avatar: Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos

Comment

I think you took things a bit far in that last post GW. One can perceive and talk about problems in a government without having the time or resources to run for public office, or desire to hear Shubert arranged for big band without knowing how to play a trombone.

It is possible for someone to get something like this off the ground but it would take a lot of money, journalistic expertise, travel expenses, hosting expenses, light programming skills and a host of other things just to get it off the ground. You can't expect everyone with an idea to have all the ingredients to follow thru on that idea.

Comment

I'd rather we keep the cancer that is the ANN community quarantined in one place. It really isn't that hard to just skim the front page and completely ignore the shitty reviews.
                  Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

I don't mind ANN at all (outside of the forums) and find the hate it gets around here to be absolutely hilarious.
                    ♫...I can see the sunlight, looking into your eyes; You're riding next to me, and we both become one...♫

Comment

I only go to ANN for the news and a few articles. The reviews are stupid sometimes (also, Shelf Life tends to have some VERY unpopular opinions) and the forum is mostly populated by idiots (including one person who was banned from Mania and I'm shocked he's not banned from there).
                      "I'm sorry, did you say something? Because your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass."
                      Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table~
                      Avatar: Grown up Yue Ayase from Negima.

Comment

Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post
                        I'd rather we keep the cancer that is the ANN community quarantined in one place. It really isn't that hard to just skim the front page and completely ignore the shitty reviews.
                        That's what I do, I read the news, and rarely venture into the forums.
                        My DVD List: DVDAficianado / DVDProfiler - My Manga: ANN Manga - Visible collection (includes non-anime - current as of Sept 27th)

Comment

Originally posted by KT Revant View Post
                          I don't mind ANN at all (outside of the forums) and find the hate it gets around here to be absolutely hilarious.
                          Same here. The only time I have ever visited ANN's forums has been regarding the Newtype USA/PiQ controversy, and when FUNimation was dubbing the Trigun movie and Dorothy Fahn actually put in a few posts for that article. Otherwise, I tend to steer away from the forums because lack of interest in having to read the same screaming matches playing out again and again.

C.T.
                          You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

ANN is, well... Generally speaking, the actual reporting is usually fine. Editorials, reviews, and forums are another matter. I have no doubt there's a market for a pretentious, condescending,editorial slant. But generally speaking, I prefer to not read news that looks down on my kind in disdain. Mainly because, you know, I'd much rather fucking enjoy entertainment than give a shit what some god-damn critic thinks I should care about (and then you want me to watch the very type of show you've hated on for years on your website--fuck that).

But the only alternatives exclusively dedicated to content from Japan tend to be trolls (Sankaku, cough), so ANN it is. Well, there is the occasional blog.
                            Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Draneor View Post
                              ANN is, well... Generally speaking, the actual reporting is usually fine. Editorials, reviews, and forums are another matter. I have no doubt there's a market for a pretentious, condescending,editorial slant. But generally speaking, I prefer to not read news that looks down on my kind in disdain. Mainly because, you know, I'd much rather fucking enjoy entertainment than give a shit what some god-damn critic thinks I should care about (and then you want me to watch the very type of show you've hated on for years on your website--fuck that).

But the only alternatives exclusively dedicated to content from Japan tend to be trolls (Sankaku, cough), so ANN it is. Well, there is the occasional blog.
                              If the news portion of this site was altered a bit, it could provide a good alternative. Don't see why that's a bad idea since the alternatives you list obviously get good traffic and this site receives ad revenue.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X