X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can We Please See an ANN Alternative?

Widgets Magazine
    The mod said to make a new thread. I'm assuming this forum is fine to continue the discussion from this thread:

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/...issolved/page7

Frankly, I've tried to quit ANN several times. There are plenty of issues to go over, and the way they bungled the MB news is just the latest thing to put a sour taste in my mouth. Over all, I'm kind of sick of the site and its staff, and want to use something else. Unfortunately, I've looked, and there's nothing that is an alternative. The closest I found is Sanakaku Complex, and god knows that's not a reliable or decent source of news.

Frankly, only having on source of English anime news isn't even healthy for the anime community even if I didn't have the multitude of issues I have with ANN. I just don't think the small hand full of people at that site should be allowed to have that much power, whatever you may think of them.

To answer the question in the other thread:

I guess I could go back to daily news coverage without the ever-growing fluff on my end, but I keep reading the same refrain from people that want an alternative without actually looking for one. My question to everyone looking for an alternative to ANN is this: Are you willing to actually support an alternative that is free from the baggage that ANN has, or are you merely complaining for the moment only to go back to the site later on? I've got an op-ed coming up today since I've had my own experiences with this sort of situation, but I'm more than willing to pick daily news back up if there's a demand for it as an actual alternative.
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I'll even be specific about what I want:

1. R1 release news.

2. News about new productions in Japan. For exmaple, a new Lupin III anime is anounced, and there is a news post alerting that fact.

3. Other major events of significant importantce to the fandom. For example, if an important creator dies, I want to know about it. If there are new legal developments regarding anime in Japan or the US that could affect different shows or parts of the fandom, I'd also like to know about that.

4. Easy navigation. There would be a head line, a sentence of explanation below that, and a click through link to read the rest with comments. I think that's all I need really. That way people can learn anime news at leisure at work or on their time off. Digging through threads and subforums to find all the latest news is just takes too much time.

5. Independent staff. No industry people or ex-industry people running it or associated with it. Maybe there could be an exception for solicitations or license announcements, but I really don't want that bleeding into anything else.

That's really all I need. I don't need the extra fluff honestly.

Re: Can We Please See an ANN Alternative?

Originally posted by Michael Myers View Post

1. R1 release news.

2. News about new productions in Japan. For exmaple, a new Lupin III anime is anounced, and there is a news post alerting that fact.

3. Other major events of significant importantce to the fandom. For example, if an important creator dies, I want to know about it. If there are new legal developments regarding anime in Japan or the US that could affect different shows or parts of the fandom, I'd also like to know about that.

4. Easy navigation. There would be a head line, a sentence of explanation below that, and a click through link to read the rest with comments. I think that's all I need really. That way people can learn anime news at leisure at work or on their time off. Digging through threads and subforums to find all the latest news is just takes too much time.

5. Independent staff. No industry people or ex-industry people running it or associated with it. Maybe there could be an exception for solicitations or license announcements, but I really don't want that bleeding into anything else.

That's really all I need. I don't need the extra fluff honestly.
    You just described ANN. It sounds like you don't want ANN but you want a site that's exactly like ANN. I'm confused.

Comment

You just described ANN. It sounds like you don't want ANN but you want a site that's exactly like ANN. I'm confused.
      There's nothing to be confused about. I said I want an alternative. This would be like telling people that no longer want to read the New York Times that they should just read the New York Times.

Why does ANN have to be the only anime site of actual relevance as far as a news site on the internet? It makes no sense. No other fandom is like this, but with anime everyone is forced to only use a single website. It's kind of messed up honeslty. I also think if given time, an alternatively would certainly be successful just because of the amount of people that are tired of ANN, as well as other people that don't want a single news source.

Comment

There's nothing to be confused about. I said I want an alternative. This would be like telling people that no longer want to read the New York Times that they should just read the New York Times.
        To follow your example, this is like someone saying they don't want to read the New York Times, but they want a newspaper that is exactly like the NYT, just with a different name and logo on the front page.

Also, ANN is far from the only site that posts anime and Japanese culture related news in a fashion similar to ANN. Crunchyroll is like that as well.

Comment

Crunchyroll's News is similliar to ANN. Although the fan commentors for both sites are equaly hair pulling.
          Anime watcher from New Zealand.
          My Cel Collection | My DVD Collection | MAL Profile

Comment

I'm going to have to agree here, and say that you basically described that you want ANN, but to be run by different people. Besides that though, you want it to be a bit more focused on News, and not so much the other aspects that ANN incorporates. Having no forums should probably make it easier to maintain. I think there are a lot of possibilities for the design of such a site, that could potentially work better than what ANN currently utilizes, but that will rely almost entirely on the capabilities of the people designing it.

I don't know if excluding people who have worked in the industry is a great idea, since they know first hand about how a lot of the industry itself works. I understand your probable reasons for wanting to keep them out of it are to avoid potential bias and/or favoritism, which isn't always welcome in a credible news setting.

Now, the thing with ANN is that it's pretty well established, and that it's got quite a long history within the community. So creating a competitor and generating viewership isn't going to be an easy task. Though there are a few other outlets already available that present news from the viewpoint of Japan, and others that focus on the NA market, it's rare to see one that does both like ANN does. I believe some of the reasons we rely primarily on one website for news is because it keeps things simple, and considering that the market for anime itself isn't huge, one website is basically enough to serve the majority of fans' needs when it comes to news.

SanCom = News..? :D That was a good one; even though I definitely enjoy going to that site myself.
            Last edited by Mc-Taz; 05-05-2012, 06:21 PM.
            Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
            Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

As to Japan-related news, as Mr Beveridge, too, said, probably it is better for such a site to have a Japanese staffer who is knowledgeable about anime, manga, light novels and the like and is fluent in English.

Comment

To follow your example, this is like someone saying they don't want to read the New York Times, but they want a newspaper that is exactly like the NYT, just with a different name and logo on the front page.
                There are thousands of newspapers that use the same newspaper format as the New York Times. Yet, people have preferences beyond the NYT. Maybe I just don't like the editorial biases of one newspaper and want to read something else. This is perfectly logical. Regardless, competition means things are healthier fandom wise. People shoudln't be forced to put up with one site's screw ups or biases just because it's the only site.

I don't know if excluding people who have worked in the industry is a great idea, since they know first hand about how a lot of the industry itself works. I understand your probable reasons for wanting to keep them out of it are to avoid potential bias and/or favoritism, which isn't always welcome in a credible news setting.
                Pretty much. It's the same reason I don't want my political analysis provided to me by Mike Huckabee.

Now, the thing with ANN is that it's pretty well established, and that it's got quite a long history within the community. So creating a competitor and generating viewership isn't going to be an easy task. Though there are a few other outlets already available that present news from the viewpoint of Japan, and others that focus on the NA market, it's rare to see one that does both like ANN does. I believe some of the reasons we rely primarily on one website for news is because it keeps things simple, and considering that the market for anime itself isn't huge, one website is basically enough to serve the majority of fans' needs when it comes to news.

SanCom = News..? That was a good one; even though I definitely enjoy going to that site myself.
                I think it's big enough that it justifies more than one site. Like I said, no other fandom is like this. There are several good sources for comic book news. Even film franchises, like Alien, have multiple news sources. There needs to be competition.

Hek, it could be on this site, there just needs to be a bit more focus on pre-R1 Japanese news in addition to the R1 news and a better layout and more functionality (like the use of tags if you only want to view R1 news). It could be a draw to the website in addition to what else is here.

As to Japan-related news, as Mr Beveridge, too, said, probably it is better for such a site to have a Japanese staffer who is knowledgeable about anime, manga, light novels and the like and is fluent in English.
                The website should hire staff then. It's no secret that ANN recycles its news from certain Japanese sources. There are probably plenty of things they even overlook that aren't reported there.

Comment

I'm sorry to say but ANN gives the most douchebaggy reviews. That hate on so many series that are good, yet some ones that are so-so or might be fairly good they appraise the hell out of it. It's irritating.

Comment

Originally posted by sickvisionz View Post
                    I think what Michael Myers has been trying to advocate is a two-newspaper (or more) town, or on a national (err, international) scale, in other words, simple competition, even in the same (more-or-less) format. When I was young, I remember my dad (quite the news hound) always picking up both the Sunday New York Times and the Sunday Washington Post from a local newstand--man, those were heavy!--in addition to our subscribed Baltimore Sun (I always preferred the Post because it had the better comics page, and look what site I'm at today), and anyone who thinks those newspapers were identical because they followed similar formats isn't paying attention.

I, for one, would appreciate another news competitor to ANN. ANN is okay for what it does, but honestly the editorial slant of most of its primary staff is seriously off-putting. The mere hint of moe in an animé production, for example, merits an automatic lambasting across the board, and that attitude does not encourage me to visit the site for anything else, yet I have to, for the encyclopedia if nothing else, just to keep up with my "Most Wanted License List" here (so there I am, looking up numbers and staff and cast in Gosick and Hayate and Manabi Straight and feeling not entirely wanted).

In the meantime I live with what we have (as I now do in a one-newspaper town) and take refuge in the camaraderie of this civic arena we fondly know as the Fandom Post Forums.
                    Avatar: Samson from Banner of the Stars.
                    Nagi-sama Fanclub Member No.0002346

Comment

Originally posted by JTMasterChief View Post
                      I'm sorry to say but ANN gives the most douchebaggy reviews. That hate on so many series that are good, yet some ones that are so-so or might be fairly good they appraise the hell out of it. It's irritating.
                      I don't see them that way at all. They are presenting their opinion on a show and a product. I like having a second or third opinion on releases. Reviews are purely subjective and that will never change, a different strokes for different folks deal. If ANN reviews were to hand out constant A's then I probably wouldn't read them and look for a new third opinion on titles because they would have become unreliable and one of those type of sites where everything in the world deserves a 9/10 or 10/10. That's the kind of sites and people I can't stand.
                      Most Wanted US Releases: RahXephon (BD upgrade), Kemonozume | Current Avatar: Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos

Comment

Originally posted by TheGoldenWaste View Post
                        I don't see them that way at all. They are presenting their opinion on a show and a product. I like having a second or third opinion on releases. Reviews are purely subjective and that will never change, a different strokes for different folks deal. If ANN reviews were to hand out constant A's then I probably wouldn't read them and look for a new third opinion on titles because they would have become unreliable and one of those type of sites where everything in the world deserves a 9/10 or 10/10. That's the kind of sites and people I can't stand.
                        This is actually a common opinion. I remember stating to a friend that I hate certain anime reviews because they were pretentious and unhelpful without stating a website's name. She then actually mentioned ANN by name as the site I was talking about despite the fact of not being a hardcore anime fan and never having posted on anime forums, etc. It was surprising and kind of funny. I've of course heard this repeated many, many times online.

I would say their reviews are worthless to me. Why? Because I tend to love every show they trash. The ones they praise, I just don't like very much at all. Since reviews are supposed to help you find what to watch, this actually does the complete opposite service for me. So yeah, certainly that is one of the reasons why I would prefer an alternative.
                        Last edited by Michael Myers; 05-06-2012, 06:29 AM.

Comment

^ But there are alternatives. You keep writing as if ANN is the only place on the internet to find information about anime and reviews. You're writing on Fandom Post as if ANN is the only place to get news and reviews of anime and related topics. That's like reading the New York Post and saying you wish there was an alternative paper to the New York Times.

Comment

I swear to you some of ANN most negative views of certain shows, and these are ones they gave a so-so grade or bad grade to, said things like this:
                            1. Male lead is impossibly dense (aren't they always)
                            2. Concept isn't very believable
                            3. Main girl was too violent and hateful towards others
                            4. Relies on too much moe content to keep viewers interest
                            5. Soundtrack didn't match well with the fight scenes (they said this because the person that reviewed it didn't like the rock music that was in one of the characters battle scenes)
                            6. Too much unbelievable harem content.
                            And the list goes on. Some other dumb opinions that shouldn't be that affective of your opinion of the show.

Comment

I swear to you some of ANN most negative views of certain shows, and these are ones they gave a so-so grade or bad grade to, said things like this:
                              1. Male lead is impossibly dense (aren't they always)
                              2. Concept isn't very believable
                              3. Main girl was too violent and hateful towards others
                              4. Relies on too much moe content to keep viewers interest
                              5. Soundtrack didn't match well with the fight scenes (they said this because the person that reviewed it didn't like the rock music that was in one of the characters battle scenes)
                              6. Too much unbelievable harem content.
                              And the list goes on. Some other dumb opinions that shouldn't be that affective of your opinion of the show.
                              Those are valid opinions of a show, any show in fact. I can think of several shows where I'd agree with those assessments. Reviews are always subjective and that person's opinion. There is no such thing as an unbiased review. You'll agree, you'll disagree and move on and see the show for yourself. There is no such thing as a dumb or wrong opinion. All opinions are worth reading and listening to because I'm open-minded about other people's thoughts and sometimes give shows a second chance I normally would not. I don't always agree with FP reviews, I don't always agree with ANN either but I respect their opinions and commentaries. Reviews should never affect your opinion of a show in the first place, that just shows you can't think for yourself and develop your own personal opinion.
                              Most Wanted US Releases: RahXephon (BD upgrade), Kemonozume | Current Avatar: Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X