X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert from online retailer RACS

Widgets Magazine
    It's almost always an interesting discussion when it involves Robert Brown from RACS (Robert's Anime Corner Store).

The typical discussion that comes up...
    • "Brand X" (RightStuf)
    • Pricing on OOP products (particularly anime)
    • Various color commentary in his weekly e-mail newsletters (like Aniplex or recent example of Discotek)

For the most part, I find the guy fairly entertaining. I personally don't shop there due to its pricing.

Every once in a while (or more) though, he says something that he really should keep to himself (considering he runs a business). See below for the latest example.

RACS Newsletter (4/13/12)
    A little more about those Best Buy closures here at Forbes.

They never should have abandoned Anime, but we're glad they did.
    Really? They are glad that Best Buy abandoned anime? Sarcasm or not, this statement just boggles the mind.

How to others here really feel about Robert and/or RACS?

Re: Robert from online retailer RACS

Oh good golly, what's he got to say about Discotek?

I mean, I generally understand where he comes from, but I don't agree with him on a lot of it. We did affiliate stuff with him years ago, but the readership at that time had almost no interest in buying from him, often for the reasons you cite.
    Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
      It's almost always an interesting discussion when it involves Robert Brown from RACS (Robert's Anime Corner Store).

The typical discussion that comes up...
      • "Brand X" (RightStuf)
      • Pricing on OOP products (particularly anime)
      • Various color commentary in his weekly e-mail newsletters (like Aniplex or recent example of Discotek)
      For the most part, I find the guy fairly entertaining. I personally don't shop there due to its pricing.

Every once in a while (or more) though, he says something that he really should keep to himself (considering he runs a business). See below for the latest example.

RACS Newsletter (4/13/12)
      A little more about those Best Buy closures here at Forbes.

They never should have abandoned Anime, but we're glad they did.
      Really? They are glad that Best Buy abandoned anime? Sarcasm or not, this statement just boggles the mind.

I think you might have taken that statement the wrong way... he is glad Best Buy abandoned anime because now he has one less competitor. Granted, it was probably not the best way to say it. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you on everything else. I really find it distasteful to see prices on in-stock items shoot up the minute they go OOP or are sold out at TRSI. I realize running a business, especially an anime business, is difficult in the best of times, but if you are going to promote your business as the place to go to buy new anime, then secondary market pricing should be kept to a minimum, and only when you've had to pay higher prices to get the item back in stock. But what really turns me off most of the time is the incessant whinging about "brand X" and companies like FUNimation and Media Blasters... it just feels like "sour grapes" most of the time, or even jealously. It really surprises me that he criticizes companies and then complains when he doesn't get in on an exclusive or part of distribution deal... has he never heard the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you"? I don't wish to see any business have a hard time or go under, and I have been known to make a purchase there every once in a while for a retailer exclusive I wanted, but most of the time I don't even think about looking at the site to see if there is something I'm looking for that I can't find at RS or Amazon because I know it will be too expensive. I have nothing against him personally and I hope he can read these comments as constructive.

Comment

Originally posted by lcummins View Post
        most of the time I don't even think about looking at the site to see if there is something I'm looking for that I can't find at RS or Amazon because I know it will be too expensive.
        Most of the time, yes. Any order I've made from him is for something that has gone OOP, but he's not yet caught on to it. (For example, RG Veda, he only has volume 6, priced at $9 (10% off), whereas tRSi only lists volume 4 at their normal price.) But for many other things, yeah, it's not worth it. (Earthian volumes between $19-29 each? Later Ai Yori Aoshi volumes at $39 each? Chobits ranging from $20-75(!) each?) Personally, I laugh seeing his prices on some of these things... free entertainment?
        -dunno001
        -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
        -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Comment

Because of how he prices things and more importantly how much of an ass he is, I don't head that way with my business very often - usually when it's a last resort. Actually, this comment regarding BB isn't too inflammatory in terms of Robert because as far as an anime retailer goes, the disappearance of it as a major competitor makes the online retailer sales go up because, let's face it, RACS has prices that are about the same as what Best Buy was doing. Of course, since the downfall of B&M retailers (at least in terms of anime) coincides with the disappearance and/or scaling back of R1 anime distributors, in that sense it going down is bad even for RACS because less product equates to less sales.
          "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

I sold a couple of OOP items to him, and knowing what eventually happens with them, I cringe at the thought it HAD to be him. What can I do, a sale is a sale. Other than the comedic value behind most of his OOP pricing, I pretty much ignore everything else.

Comment

I don't buy anything from Robert's Anime Corner Store. I did sign up for Robert's e-mail newsletters just to see what on his mind. I don't like how he raises the price on titles that came OOP.

Comment

I have and never will give Robert Brown or RACS in general my business. When the owner of a business is unprofessional and acts like a five year old who doesn't get what he wants, that feeling reflects on the company. If I want something that is OOP, I have Amazon Marketplace (which is actually pretty fairly priced), local MovieStop for used recent titles (awww yeah, cheap as sin) and an FYE with a graveyard of clearance Geneon stuff. If I want something new, I have Amazon and TRSI. I have a dozen options and RACS will never be one of those. I won't even visit his site anymore or read his newsletter.
                Most Wanted US Releases: RahXephon (BD upgrade), Kemonozume | Current Avatar: Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos

Comment

I bought a few figures (and one out of print anime) from him back in the day. He ships very fast, but he used those damned peanuts for packing material. From reading his newsletter and (occasionally) his blogs posts, I've come to the conclusion Robert's an ass and whines a lot. He clearly holds a grudge against TRSI. But yet, from my perspective, TRSI does almost everything better than he does (other than timely shipping--but I'm patient). I also don't see why anyone would really care about him bitching about Aniplex exclusives, distributor problems, TRSI having lower prices, or b2b sales issues. That said, I do think he, at least, comes across as actually enjoying anime (and other stuff he sells), which is more than much of the industry.

Prices and I make it a general practice not to patronize businesses that include politics in their marketing. I couldn't care less what a business' political beliefs are--just don't shove it in my face. Also, I have a no asshole policy.
                  Last edited by Draneor; 04-14-2012, 10:49 AM.
                  Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Beveridge View Post
                    Oh good golly, what's he got to say about Discotek?
                    RACS Newsletter (3/23)
                    A few new license announcements are in this week. Sentai announced that they have picked up the Mahoromatic 'I'm Home' Anime Special, and Discotek continues to bring out the really old stuff no one else is interested in anymore - they got The Captain Harlock TV series and Lovely Complex. Hey, no complaints here, they have become to the Anime Industry what the Picasimus fish is to your fishtank. They will eat stuff that would make even Nozomi puke... -_^

Comment

Originally posted by lcummins View Post
                      I think you might have taken that statement the wrong way... he is glad Best Buy abandoned anime because now he has one less competitor. Granted, it was probably not the best way to say it.
                      Perhaps I'm looking too deep into the commentary. If every Best Buy store will not be stocking anime anymore, who has the most to lose. IMO, it's the various distributors/studios (right now that would primarily be FUNimation). It may affect how many (or how often) anime releases get released. This should affect certain release strategies as well. To me B&M and online retailers coexistence shouldn't be much of an issue anymore.

Comment

A few new license announcements are in this week. Sentai announced that they have picked up the Mahoromatic 'I'm Home' Anime Special, and Discotek continues to bring out the really old stuff no one else is interested in anymore - they got The Captain Harlock TV series and Lovely Complex. Hey, no complaints here, they have become to the Anime Industry what the Picasimus fish is to your fishtank. They will eat stuff that would make even Nozomi puke... -_^
                        Wow, what an ass. I was worried he might have reformed, since the blog has been fairly quiet recently. Guess I have to get the newsletter to get my weekly dose of anime snobbishness. Never bought anything, and can't say I've even considered it the past few years.
                        My animé & figure collections
                        Hummingbird
                        || Tweeterings
                        XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

I never buy from him and never WILL. I know of one person who likes what he has to say and I have to wonder why one would like some of the crap he spouts. He's the most outspoken person ever and I'd be very unsurprised if one day Sentai or Funi just quits shipping stuff to him because of his vitriol.
                          "I'm sorry, did you say something? Because your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass."
                          Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table~
                          Avatar: Grown up Yue Ayase from Negima.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeether View Post
                            He's the most outspoken person ever[...]
                            Well, that seems like a bit of hyperbole...
                            My animé & figure collections
                            Hummingbird
                            || Tweeterings
                            XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

He's just an arrogant man, with a superiority complex.... I understand some of what he says, but agreeing with him is hard to do when he is so petty and whines like a little bitch. He just needs to pick his spots, because one day (and it's coming soon) it's going to get him in a shitload of trouble. He should focus more on his site, company and customer service since I have had nothing but issues I've ever had attempting shopping there. Prove he can run his own business better than TRSI instead of running his lips which does nothing for his bottom line. Atleast DLK refrains from the petty games and focuses on his own business. They used to sell telescopes for frelling sake and have remained a respectable company and shopping place for years! RACS can't claim anything like that....in short, he's an ass!
                              Watching: Fate/Zero, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Ozuma, Sekirei

Thank you Sentai for Fate/Stay Night : UBW
                              Proud to Pre-Order Fate/Zero Box 2 on BD!!!!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X