Widgets Magazine

NFL cheerleader accused of having sex with a minor.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NFL cheerleader accused of having sex with a minor.

To throw in my two cents worth, I find it kind of strange how people get fifty different kinds of outraged when a man of a "certain age" shacks up with a teenage girl, but when a predatory cougar (a la Mary Kay Letourneau) pops the cherry of a teenage boy, society pays it little mind, even makes jokes about it. Never could figure out the bias people have when it's the exact same sort of crime.
    Last edited by GundamWingMan; 04-08-2012, 05:50 AM.
    "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."
    ---old Irish proverb
    Check out my MAL list!

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma UFO View Post
      I wonder what kind of a miner it was. A coal miner? Maybe one of those old grizzled gold miners with a white beard, leading a mule around? Yeah, I can understand the attraction.
      Haha, after reading your post I just had to check and see if I made a spelling error in the title. I guess I didn't. You got me for a second there.

Comment

Originally posted by GundamWingMan View Post
        To throw in my two cents worth, I find it kind of strange how people get fifty different kinds of outraged when a man of a "certain age" shacks up with a teenage girl, but when a predatory cougar (a la Mary Kay Letourneau) pops the cherry of a teenage boy, society pays it little mind, even makes jokes about it. Never could figure out the bias people have when it's the exact same sort of crime.
        Because clearly if the female is a predator it's empowering. But yeah, I never understood the double standard either, especially when it appears like most cases (that we hear of on the news anyway) are where the female is the adult. Of course part of that has to do with the fact that, for example, most K-12 teachers are female due to the generally low salaries so if you have a higher percentage of females, it's unsurprising that numerically females would be likelier. Part of the problem too I'd imagine is that a lot of the adult male relationships aren't reported as often due to threats of and/or actual violence used to silence the victims from reporting the issue.
        "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

Originally posted by einhorn303 View Post

Regarding the pregnancy, I think much blame for that can fall on the rise in abstinence-only, and other watered down, sex education programs in the US. The US has the highest teen birth rate in the industrialized world, much higher than other countries with a lower age of consent.
          And part of it is due to lack of stigma now with being an unwed mother. When there are shows on TV about '16 and pregnant' and ' Teenage Mom' you know your society has problems.

I actually feel that casual sex is one thing, but pregnancy is much more serious. People should really wait until they're in their 30s, and financially secure enough, before raising a child. It's a huge responsibility; it goes in the category of "stuff where poor decisions can hurt the lives of innocent bystanders," like driving cars or owning guns.
          If you are having sex, there is always the chance of a pregnancy. No birth control is 100% effective. The pill works because it's a hormone that 'tricks' a woman's body into thinking it is pregnant. A woman should take it at the same time everyday to keep the fake hormone levels in her body the same and prevent pregnancy. Of course there are women who take it perfectly on time and still get pregnant...the hormones didn't trick their bodies. If you are having sex, you should be ready to take up the consequences of having a child, there is always a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by einhorn303 View Post
            Our puritan culture treats sex as the Worst Possible Thing, but gives a free pass to other damaging stuff. I don't like the inconsistency; if one wants to forbid underage sex, but not other equally damaging things, the motivation isn't "Protect the children," but "Sex is bad."
            That's not really relevant to the facts at hand. After all, the person being statutory raped isn't the one being prosecuted in situations like these. Instead, why don't you put forth an argument why public school teachers should be able to have sex with their students? Many work places forbid fraternization with co-workers/customers. Again, I note that while teenagers often do dumb things precisely because their brains are still developing, the teacher is an adult who presumably knows better.
            Last edited by Draneor; 04-09-2012, 03:52 PM.
            Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by hachi View Post
              And part of it is due to lack of stigma now with being an unwed mother. When there are shows on TV about '16 and pregnant' and ' Teenage Mom' you know your society has problems.
              These things have nothing to do with each other on a larger scale. Teen pregnancy has been rampant in the US for decades; way, WAY before some dude in Denmark came up with 'The Young Mothers', which the MTV shows you mention are based on.

'Abstinence only' seems to be getting more widespread by the day, and it's just an obvious fact to anyone with eyes in their head that it doesn't work. Teenages are going to do it, and if you tell them that condoms don't work, they're obviously not going to use them.

If you are having sex, there is always the chance of a pregnancy. No birth control is 100% effective.
              If the guy uses a condom and the girl's on the pill, you're about as safe as can be. It seems to me like you're downplaying the effectiveness of these birth control methods because you have some sort of agenda, but I might just be seeing things.

Comment

Originally posted by Naiera View Post

If you are having sex, there is always the chance of a pregnancy. No birth control is 100% effective.
                If the guy uses a condom and the girl's on the pill, you're about as safe as can be. It seems to me like you're downplaying the effectiveness of these birth control methods because you have some sort of agenda, but I might just be seeing things.
                I spend some time quite some time on the boards at Babycenter after having my kids and I can't believe the amount of people that end up pregnant that weren't planning on it. In the end the woman ends up responsible for a baby and they are a lot of work.

Comment

(...) and I can't believe the amount of people that end up pregnant that weren't planning on it.
                  Who's to say they were properly informed about birth control?

Comment

I'm going to migrate this thread over to the sandbox forum since the conversation is turning a bit outside of typical forum rules. Feel free to continue however.
                    Figure Enthusiast
                    Moderator: Comics, Movies, General Anime, Off-topic, Gaming Goodness

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                      Late to this thread, but I'm sure any response I give would be surprising to absolutely no one
                      At 16 or 96 you'd make her bark like a coyote. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Naiera View Post
                        These things have nothing to do with each other on a larger scale. Teen pregnancy has been rampant in the US for decades; way, WAY before some dude in Denmark came up with 'The Young Mothers', which the MTV shows you mention are based on.

'Abstinence only' seems to be getting more widespread by the day, and it's just an obvious fact to anyone with eyes in their head that it doesn't work. Teenages are going to do it, and if you tell them that condoms don't work, they're obviously not going to use them.

I've had a number of adult married friends, responsible people with doctorates, who've become pregnant or their spouse/partner became pregnant while using birth control as it was meant to be used (including a lawyer whose reaction was "It's impossible! No way!" Why? She was on the pill and her husband was using a condom).
                        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Certainly, this can have an impact on a person's life. Yes, there is a double standard when it comes to underage sex with an adult partner. We are, of course, talking about teenagers who've hit full puberty and done most of their physical growth, not pre-teens, or even the early teen years. We're talking about people who are of what was a marriageable age for most of mankind's history, and still is a marriageable age in places on our planet. The double standard, however, is based on much of human history, the differences between boys and girls, and fundamental human sexuality.

We are a species which, not too long ago, had a lifespan for men where most would die before 40. Women could live longer, but faced the rigors and dangers of childbirth, with many dying an early death. In this instance, a young man bore little risk: He couldn't get pregnant. Indeed, in many cultures, at various times, older women past child-bearing age would teach young men about sex.

Young women, however, ran the risk of pregnancy throughout our history. If she went with an older man for sexual training (which did happen; Capt. Cook described meeting the king of a Polynesian island whose daily duty included deflowering virgins, who'd reached a certain age), the girl bore the risk of pregnancy, which would drastically change her life.

There's more, of course. You can call a virgin boy a "cherry boy" all you want, but assuming his first encounter is with a disease free girl/woman, he's undergone no physical changes. Not so with a girl. Once the maidenhead is breached, there's no going back; there is a physical change.

There's plenty more, of course, but the bottomline is that our stereotypes on this issue are actually based on longstanding human history and biological imperatives. Certainly a young man can be scarred by such an experience, and a young woman be liberated by the experience. But the stereotypes to the contrary have an underlying truth which shouldn't be so readily dismissed. Which does not mean that we should ignore our current laws, of course.
                          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Originally posted by Ryos View Post
                            Originally posted by GundamWingMan View Post
                            Because clearly if the female is a predator it's empowering. But yeah, I never understood the double standard either, especially when it appears like most cases (that we hear of on the news anyway) are where the female is the adult. Of course part of that has to do with the fact that, for example, most K-12 teachers are female due to the generally low salaries so if you have a higher percentage of females, it's unsurprising that numerically females would be likelier. Part of the problem too I'd imagine is that a lot of the adult male relationships aren't reported as often due to threats of and/or actual violence used to silence the victims from reporting the issue.
                            The low pay to teachers isn't the only reason for the high percentage of women in this field: It offers many women a good compromise with working and rearing their own children, being able to be with their children over summer vacation, for instance.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X