Widgets Magazine

NFL cheerleader accused of having sex with a minor.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL cheerleader accused of having sex with a minor.

Widgets Magazine
    http://now.msn.com/now-plus/0330-Che...r-NFL-sex.aspx

Wow, lucky kid.

Re: NFL cheerleader accused of having sex with a minor.

Originally posted by Cutliquidsnake View Post
    Wow, lucky kid.
    Being abused by an adult in a position of power who should have known better is not what I would consider "lucky" (assuming it happened).
    Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Draneor View Post
      Wow, lucky kid.
      Being abused by an adult in a position of power who should have known better is not what I would consider "lucky" (assuming it happened).
      You'd be right if it was a grown man having sex with a minor, but this is not the case. Every guy I've heard of who had sex with a woman over 18 when they were minors had no regrets. I know I sure as hell wouldn't if it happened to me when I was young.

Comment

Nice.jpg

You'd be right if it was a grown man having sex with a minor, but this is not the case. Every guy I've heard of who had sex with a woman over 18 when they were minors had no regrets. I know I sure as hell wouldn't if it happened to me when I was young.
        My dad and room mate brag about this shit all the time. It's annoying as hell.
        Last edited by ProvidenceBreaker; 03-31-2012, 02:51 AM.
        Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

While it's one of those things that is typically fantasized about, statutory rape definitely isn't a good thing regardless of how hot the adult is. It's further complicated when you're talking about the adult being in a position of authority, such as a teacher. Though I will say this much, being a historian, it's always interesting to go back in time when society didn't frown upon age differences, but then heck, it used to be fine to send little kids into factories and mines and frequently early deaths.
          Last edited by Ryos; 03-31-2012, 07:51 AM.
          "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Ryos View Post
            Though I will say this much, being a historian, it's always interesting to go back in time when society didn't frown upon age differences, but then heck, it used to be fine to send little kids into factories and mines and frequently early deaths.
            It's not the age difference--it's the lack of consent. There are parts of the world where bride kidnapping or pederasty still occur. The fact that they occur does not invalidate that they are not relationships based upon mutual consent. Yes, it took humanity a rather long time to work out this ethical framework (and we still have major problems implementing it). Still, I believe we got a better framework than in the past.

If people want to fantasy about teacher/student relationships, knock yourself out. But as Betenoire noted, the real world is often rather different from fantasies. And while I don't expect a developing teenager to know this, I damn sure expect an adult to.
            Last edited by Draneor; 03-31-2012, 10:30 AM.
            Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

Though I will say this much, being a historian, it's always interesting to go back in time when society didn't frown upon age differences, but then heck, it used to be fine to send little kids into factories and mines and frequently early deaths.
              It's not the age difference--it's the lack of consent. There are parts of the world where bride kidnapping or pederasty still occur. The fact that they occur does not invalidate that they are not relationships based upon mutual consent...
              I strongly disagree with the idea that a 16-year old can't give consent (the age isn't explicitly mentioned in the article, I'm just estimating). There's been a long trend of infantilizing our youth, extending the social conception of childhood further and further out. Under traditional Jewish law, when a boy turned 13, he became an adult responsible for his own actions instead of his parents. With childhood stretching into compulsory college, and the rise of 20-somethings living with their parents, maybe the age of consent will become 22 or 26 someday. It's a social trend, but is it a good trend? I tend towards "no."
              The Post's Most Wanted Manga | Fandom Post -Female Anime Character Ranking-

Avatar: Ange Ushiromiya of Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry).

Comment

We need to kick the media and the government out of our sex lives. Nowadays there is a newspaper article just about everytime somebody pops a boner. Whether or not this was the best moment in that boys life or the worst is irrelevant. This shouldn't have been a news story, and she should not lose her job, but things go the way they go, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by einhorn303 View Post
                  It's not the age difference--it's the lack of consent. There are parts of the world where bride kidnapping or pederasty still occur. The fact that they occur does not invalidate that they are not relationships based upon mutual consent...
                  I strongly disagree with the idea that a 16-year old can't give consent (the age isn't explicitly mentioned in the article, I'm just estimating). There's been a long trend of infantilizing our youth, extending the social conception of childhood further and further out. Under traditional Jewish law, when a boy turned 13, he became an adult responsible for his own actions instead of his parents. With childhood stretching into compulsory college, and the rise of 20-somethings living with their parents, maybe the age of consent will become 22 or 26 someday. It's a social trend, but is it a good trend? I tend towards "no."
                  I disagree, with the brain not full developing (and therefore the ability to fully understand the consequences of actions) until the early 20's, there is no way a 16 year old can give consent.

When traditional Jewish law was created people were not living as long so yeah, you became an 'adult' earlier, married earlier, and had children earlier. You also didn't eat pork or shellfish because back then they didn't understand why those things made you sick or killed you. Times have changed.

Comment

I strongly disagree with the idea that a 16-year old can't give consent (the age isn't explicitly mentioned in the article, I'm just estimating).
                    We live in a society that has decided that the age of consent ranges from 16-18 (depending on your state). We also live in a society that has decided that students can never consent to a relationship with a teacher (in most if not all states). There are societies where the age of consent is lower. I, for one, would rather not live in them.

Comment

Late to this thread, but I'm sure any response I give would be surprising to absolutely no one
                      SAMA-FUN #04 / TOFU #01 / Sentai Kaiser / Game Reviews / Twitter
                      Although his fighting spirit burns like fire, his mind is as calm as still water
                      Watching: Initial D 5th Stage, Psycho-Pass, Zetsuen no Tempest, Space Brothers, Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, Kamen Rider Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by hachi View Post
                        I disagree, with the brain not full developing (and therefore the ability to fully understand the consequences of actions) until the early 20's, there is no way a 16 year old can give consent.

When traditional Jewish law was created people were not living as long so yeah, you became an 'adult' earlier, married earlier, and had children earlier. You also didn't eat pork or shellfish because back then they didn't understand why those things made you sick or killed you. Times have changed.
                        By that line of reasoning, shouldn't the age of consent be in the early 20's? Or, do you think that parents should have the legal right to strictly control the diet of their 16-year old children, since a bad diet can shave years of one's lifespan, and is the leading cause of death in the US? Or the right to control their exposure to popular media, since advertising's impact on body image can lead to depression and other disorders just as bad as underaged sex? Our puritan culture treats sex as the Worst Possible Thing, but gives a free pass to other damaging stuff. I don't like the inconsistency; if one wants to forbid underage sex, but not other equally damaging things, the motivation isn't "Protect the children," but "Sex is bad."

It's not that I don't think 16-year olds won't make bad decisions sometimes. I do think a lot of it is cultural, though...if you force teenagers to spend their whole day in an aimless system without meaningful responsibilities or role models (ie, high school) that environment will mold them. But even if they might make stupid mistakes, I don't think the damage done to personal agency and growth is worth making private, personal decisions a matter of law.

About the shellfish thing: society has changed dramatically, and overall those changes have been improvements. But it's oversimplifying to think every change is an improvement. In many ways, society has degraded: the deterioration of meaningful community, unsustainable lifestyles of sucking up resources and poisoning the environment, the shortening of attention spans, etc. Society isn't changing by some teleological master plan...there's all sorts of junk feedback in there.

Comment

By that line of reasoning, shouldn't the age of consent be in the early 20's? Or, do you think that parents should have the legal right to strictly control the diet of their 16-year old children, since a bad diet can shave years of one's lifespan, and is the leading cause of death in the US? Or the right to control their exposure to popular media, since advertising's impact on body image can lead to depression and other disorders just as bad as underaged sex? Our puritan culture treats sex as the Worst Possible Thing, but gives a free pass to other damaging stuff. I don't like the inconsistency; if one wants to forbid underage sex, but not other equally damaging things, the motivation isn't "Protect the children," but "Sex is bad."

It's not that I don't think 16-year olds won't make bad decisions sometimes. I do think a lot of it is cultural, though...if you force teenagers to spend their whole day in an aimless system without meaningful responsibilities or role models (ie, high school) that environment will mold them. But even if they might make stupid mistakes, I don't think the damage done to personal agency and growth is worth making private, personal decisions a matter of law.

About the shellfish thing: society has changed dramatically, and overall those changes have been improvements. But it's oversimplifying to think every change is an improvement. In many ways, society has degraded: the deterioration of meaningful community, unsustainable lifestyles of sucking up resources and poisoning the environment, the shortening of attention spans, etc. Society isn't changing by some teleological master plan...there's all sorts of junk feedback in there.
                          Well, I don't think it's a bad idea to have the age limit laws on tap because frankly MOST young people that age shouldn't be considered to be able to give consent because sexual relations at that age end up in SO MANY unwanted pregnancies (I still remember a class I took in high school where literally half the females were pregnant). However, it's also not a black and white situation because to my mind, maturity is quite different for each individual. Some people at 40 show poorer judgement and more childlike tendencies than I did at a fairly early age. Now granted I never ended up in a situation like in the thread, but to say that I would have not been mature enough to realize the implications of my decisions until my 20s would be foolhardy at best. It's a bit murkier when most of the adults in the equations are predators in the vast majority of the cases.
                          "Ninjas, sushi, schoolgirls, samurai, and boobs. These are the things that cross all borders, and tie us together!"

Current backlog purgatory: 39 Boxes Proof that anime costs more than drugs | Conquering the world one game at a time

Comment

Well, I don't think it's a bad idea to have the age limit laws on tap because frankly MOST young people that age shouldn't be considered to be able to give consent because sexual relations at that age end up in SO MANY unwanted pregnancies (I still remember a class I took in high school where literally half the females were pregnant). However, it's also not a black and white situation because to my mind, maturity is quite different for each individual. Some people at 40 show poorer judgement and more childlike tendencies than I did at a fairly early age. Now granted I never ended up in a situation like in the thread, but to say that I would have not been mature enough to realize the implications of my decisions until my 20s would be foolhardy at best. It's a bit murkier when most of the adults in the equations are predators in the vast majority of the cases.
                            Regarding the pregnancy, I think much blame for that can fall on the rise in abstinence-only, and other watered down, sex education programs in the US. The US has the highest teen birth rate in the industrialized world, much higher than other countries with a lower age of consent.

I actually feel that casual sex is one thing, but pregnancy is much more serious. People should really wait until they're in their 30s, and financially secure enough, before raising a child. It's a huge responsibility; it goes in the category of "stuff where poor decisions can hurt the lives of innocent bystanders," like driving cars or owning guns.

This is where some laws show they're really about "sex is bad" instead of "helping children": they make it harder for teens to get contraceptives or abortion, not easier. They'd rather punish the act than heal the act's damage, serving their moral outrage over the children.

Comment

I wonder what kind of a miner it was. A coal miner? Maybe one of those old grizzled gold miners with a white beard, leading a mule around? Yeah, I can understand the attraction.
                              Seattle will never forget you, Electron Boy! - Donate to the Make-a-Wish Foundation
                              Avatar: You're going to LOVE HER!!!!!
                              Σ UFO = Mr. Nail Bat = Geoduck = Big Big Duck
                              You can believe everything I say, as it is based on emperical data.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X