This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NPR, does anyone listen?

I usually listen to the local NPR station on my commute to and from work. Back when I was in college I did listen to it a little more during the day, but these days, I have so many other things to do while I'm at home, it's just the half-hour drive in the morning and the late afternoon-early evening.
    Avatar: Hinagiku Katsura from Hayate the Combat Butler.
    Scratchy for Tama is angry.
    I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
    Casual

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyDog View Post
      Now if only some radio network would broadcast radio dramas regularly (like the old CBS Radio Mystery Theater), then I'd truly be pleased.
      There are many, many excellent old-time radio podcasts out there. I subscribe to a few of them myself, though I tend more towards radio comedies (Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Phil Harris, Fibber McGee & Molly) than the dramas.
      Seattle will never forget you, Electron Boy! - Donate to the Make-a-Wish Foundation
      Avatar: You're going to LOVE HER!!!!!
      Σ UFO = Mr. Nail Bat = Geoduck = Big Big Duck
      You can believe everything I say, as it is based on emperical data.

Comment

Well, I keep NPR on the radio on my bus, so yeah, I listen to it. Regretfully, my car radio tuner is crap, so I rarely get to listen to the weekend shows.
        -dunno001
        -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
        -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Comment

I have a neighbor who leaves NPR when she leaves the house. Apparently her dogs suffer horrible separation anxiety, and NPR seems to be their favorite faux human.

As for me personally, I generally only listen to the radio in the car, and I prefer music when I'm driving. So its not a big thing for me.
          "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

I always end up catching Marketplace Morning Report on the way to class and the tail end of Science Friday when I leave class on Fridays. Sometimes I've tuned in overnight to listen to BBC because it's really nice listening to a decent news channel for once.

WWDTM is great, but I never catch all of it and need to download a few episodes. Splendid Table comes on during weekends here and makes my mouth water too much.

This isn't NPR related, but WFMU, a "freeform radio" station that plays weird stuff like seances and number stations, has a talk show on Tuesday nights called The Best Show that's worth listening to. If you look it up on TuneIn Radio, you can listen to "Best Show Gems" that have highlights from previous episodes.
            Last edited by Zeether; 03-22-2012, 02:10 AM.
            "I'm sorry, did you say something? Because your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass."
            Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table~
            Avatar: Grown up Yue Ayase from Negima.

Comment

I always listened to it off and on over the years, and growing up, but for a couple years as a delivery driver I became very familiar with NPR. KCFR out of Denver, Colorado, and the largest public radio broadcaster in the state. They have a classical station I listen to just as much. Morning Edition and All Things Considered I became a regular listener to, and are, with PBS's NewsHour, about the only mass market news programs I pay attention to. Fortunately, they're among the best, anyway. But in the middle hours, here, beyond a half-hour block of local CPR news (interviews, reports, etc.) followed by another half hour of BBC filler (I think it's their business report these days) we get Fresh Air, which I know is a good interview show, but I have issues with Terri Gross' voice, the two-hour Talk of the Nation block (which I quickly became tired of and only try to remember to check out the excellent Science Friday anymore--the only parts of TotN, including even SciFri, I like are the parts where people are not calling in), and then the PRI show, The World, which is sometimes interesting, sometimes too moralistic. So, often between ME and ATC I'd switch either to the quality classical sister station, or to KUVO, the local, also public radio, jazz station, one of the last real robust ones in the country.

I don't listen to too much now, unless I'm in the car, which is at random times. I need to remember to either queue up the online feeds (I never make much time to do podcasts) or just run it off one of the radio apps on Roku. I always forget about the weekend shows, but love WWDTM like everyone else when I randomly happen to remember it's on and am driving somewhere.

Originally posted by chocobox View Post
              Originally posted by Ryverstar View Post
              However Morning Edition and All Things Considered are unlistenable during the pledge drive. I understand the why . . . but can't listen to it.
              Agreed (and I say that as someone who actually pledges). Luckily, my area has two stations to choose from, so I can switch to the other when one is having a pledge drive.
              Amusingly, KCFR here on the Front Range of Colorado has lately begun coordinating the timing of their fund drives with the only other big NPR affiliate in the state, KUNC, up north out of Greeley, so that their respective listeners can't switch as easily anymore (both are well within range of the other; it's also meant they're coordinating on their reporting more, however, which has been a plus, actually).
              Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
              TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                . . . we get Fresh Air, which I know is a good interview show, but I have issues with Terri Gross' voice . . . .
                It's funny (well, interesting, rather) that you mention having issue with someone's voice over the air. I wonder how much that sensitivity ties into our shared interests here in a medium where voice acting is really scrutinized. I don't mind Terri Gross' voice, but I really find Neal Conan's voice on Talk of the Nation grating: I much preferred the voice of his predecessor, Ray Suarez, but, alas, he moved on to the television end of public broadcasting. Now Ira Flatow--his voice I really enjoy, and I find his reports and those of his guests (sans callers, as you mention) particularly engaging on Science Friday.
                Avatar: Samson from Banner of the Stars.
                Nagi-sama Fanclub Member No.0002346

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma UFO View Post
                  Now if only some radio network would broadcast radio dramas regularly (like the old CBS Radio Mystery Theater), then I'd truly be pleased.
                  There are many, many excellent old-time radio podcasts out there. I subscribe to a few of them myself, though I tend more towards radio comedies (Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Phil Harris, Fibber McGee & Molly) than the dramas.
                  Thanks for the heads-up, Sigma UFO. Any favorite locations to track these down?

Comment

I don't mean to veer away from the topic of NPR much (and if I'm out of place, please let me know), but all the positive accolades about BBC reporting (with which I agree wholeheartedly), which is also broadcast by my local NPR affiliate during the overnight hours, got me thinking about when I lived north in New York state about ten years ago and often pulled in the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) while driving. Their broadcasts always struck me as delightfully eclectic. I wonder how their broadcasting is faring nowadays.

One hundred posts! Finally!

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                      . . . we get Fresh Air, which I know is a good interview show, but I have issues with Terri Gross' voice . . . .
                      It's funny (well, interesting, rather) that you mention having issue with someone's voice over the air. I wonder how much that sensitivity ties into our shared interests here in a medium where voice acting is really scrutinized. I don't mind Terri Gross' voice, but I really find Neal Conan's voice on Talk of the Nation grating: I much preferred the voice of his predecessor, Ray Suarez, but, alas, he moved on to the television end of public broadcasting. Now Ira Flatow--his voice I really enjoy, and I find his reports and those of his guests (sans callers, as you mention) particularly engaging on Science Friday.
                      Conan I don't mind too much. Flatow has a good and unique voice for radio, though he does flub more often than other radio hosts, especially when he's excited about the topic or guest, which is often. But there's an authentic charm to him that is welcoming. (He's like the absent-minded professor version of WWDTM's Peter Sagal.) Though the voice I like more on SciFri is digital media producer Flora Lichtman's. She's a trip.

But Gross simply has that quality that distracts me for some reason, the often almost too calm delivery, to the point of detachment, combined with her deeper tone. Some might characterize it as almost sexy in that beguilingly mature way (my dad does, actually) but I find it slightly distracting--or I think I wouldn't so much, if at all, if she were on TV, oddly enough. The disembodiment of that sort of voice has something to do with it. Or maybe it has something to do with her relaxed interview style. I have little to no similar issues with any other voice through NPR, female or male.

And sure, I might be more sensitive to certain voices due to my fixation on voices, voices, voices over the past decade in anime.
                      Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                      TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up, Sigma UFO. Any favorite locations to track these down?
                        My favorite is the "Buck Benny" Podcast. The fellow who runs the podcast presents radio shows 60, 65, 70, and 75 years ago to the day, so it's easy to follow ongoing storylines. Emphasis on comedy, so there's a lot of Jack Benny and Fred Allen, but he also presents "Suspense" and the occasional western as well.
                        Seattle will never forget you, Electron Boy! - Donate to the Make-a-Wish Foundation
                        Avatar: You're going to LOVE HER!!!!!
                        Σ UFO = Mr. Nail Bat = Geoduck = Big Big Duck
                        You can believe everything I say, as it is based on emperical data.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine
                        Working...
                        X