X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPR, does anyone listen?

Widgets Magazine
    Ever since I moved for university, I've started listening to the local NPR station and it's quite an edifying network. Some of the programs like Car Talk and Sci-Fri (Science Friday) are both entertaining and educational, while there's also some decent political talk programs.

The only thing that annoys me is the pledging that often goes on, but hey, it's like PBS in radio form so what are you gonna do?

Anyone else listen to their local NPR station or maybe one from somewhere else? Schedules in different areas are changed and some shows are exclusive to certain stations, so listening to other stations is quite an experience.
    "I'm sorry, did you say something? Because your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass."
    Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table~
    Avatar: Grown up Yue Ayase from Negima.

Re: NPR, does anyone listen?

I use to listen to the one in DC quite regularly, but not recently. I really should just start downloading the shows I like so I can listen to them on the way to and from work.
    Moderator: US, JP, GA, Recommendations, JLCM, Gaming, OT, FS/FT
    Xbox/PSN: Kaikou1

Comment

Yeah, I listen. For the political/talk shows, I like Diane Rehm (especially for those occasional moments where she makes it clear she'll brook no nonsense. I wish more hosts were prepared to call out blatant misbehavior.) I also listen to On Point, but love to hate on the host Tom Ashbrook, who has an annoying habit of keeping the show moving by interrupting his guest's nuanced point to try to sum it up in a line, which he often gets at least halfway wrong (tagging it with a "we get it." on the end just adds to the hilarity.)

I love, love, love "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me," and "On the Media."

Originally posted by Zeether View Post
      The only thing that annoys me is the pledging that often goes on, but hey, it's like PBS in radio form so what are you gonna do?
      At least, unlike PBS, they don't preempt all the programming I tune in to them for when they want to ask me for money!
      Avatar: Trixie is appalled by whatever I just said.

Comment

I really like to listen to several of the weekend programming segments: Car Talk, WWDTM, Whad'Ya Know, A Prairie Home Companion, and WireTap (It's a shame that This American Life occurs right in the middle of the afternoon, since I don't really care for the program or listening to Ira Glass speak). I also appreciate the use of BBC broadcasts to fill time overnight, since that's infinitely more tolerable to listen to and parse through than pretty much every American radio news broadcast I've ever come across. I'm not that much a fan of the weekday programming, though that's not really content-related as much as it is a desire to listen to music rather than talk radio while I'm at work.

My home station is WUOM 91.7 FM out of Ann Arbor, which I now listen to online at michiganradio.org. The stations here in the Bay Area are kind of inadequate.
        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
        Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I listen off and on. Like most people I mainly listen to local broadcasting. My listening habits are completely random, so I normally don't listen all of the way through a regularly scheduled program.

The main stations I'll listen to are WBJC, 98rock, ESPN 980, 105.7 the Fan. WBAL, WPOC and WKYS. I tend to rotate through those on a "I don't want to listen to commercials so I'll change the station" basis. Sometimes I land on FNR sometimes I go to NPR.

It would take a really interesting topic to keep me on any one station for the entire length of the program (although I have to admit to listening to Tony Kornheiser for his entire show on a few occasions. I'm not sure why)
          Figure Enthusiast
          Moderator: Comics, Movies, General Anime, Off-topic, Gaming Goodness

Comment

NPR in Memphis is a bit of an odd thing. WKNO is the Memphis, TN station. However being on the state line with Mississippi, I am not able to get the Mississippi NPR stations unless I am in my car, or sometimes on my MP3 player (maybe). I could never quite pin down what the problem was with the reception on a regular radio.

The reason this is an issue for me is that I am a HUGE fan of Echos and Music from the Hearts of Space that run Sunday's on the Mississippi NPR stations.

Aside from that I frequently listen to the Memphis station. Typically though I will get On the Media via podcast where I can go through each story one at a time as time allows. I much prefer to get my news from NPR or online. I am frequently heckled because I still read the newspaper. I refuse to watch ANY 24 hour TV news channel.

However Morning Edition and All Things Considered are unlistenable during the pledge drive. I understand the why . . . but can't listen to it.
            The only way I can maintain my humanity . . . is by burying its victims. -- Seijurou Hiko

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. -- Number 6

Comment

Originally posted by Ryverstar View Post
              However Morning Edition and All Things Considered are unlistenable during the pledge drive. I understand the why . . . but can't listen to it.
              Agreed (and I say that as someone who actually pledges). Luckily, my area has two stations to choose from, so I can switch to the other when one is having a pledge drive.

Besides listening during my half hour commute (unless, as has been happening lately, I am just too damn sick of hearing about the unending Republican primaries) and WWDTM on the weekends, I also subscribe to podcasts of This American Life and Radio Lab. (No other Radio Lab love in this thread? It's sort of like TAL, but focused on science; highly recommended!) I also love Fresh Air but don't really have time to listen to it every day.
              Wednesday, 10:00 (LJ) | original chocobox

Comment

Originally posted by chocobox View Post
                (No other Radio Lab love in this thread? It's sort of like TAL, but focused on science; highly recommended!)
                Radio Lab's not bad, but I tend to find my attention wandering when I listen, somehow.
                asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I listen to various public radio podcasts ("Sound Opinions" from WBEZ Chicago, NPR's "All Songs Considered" out of DC, KCRW Santa Monica's "Left, Right, and Center"), but I don't have the first clue what's NPR-affiliated around Sacramento. I avoid listening to the radio as much as possible — ironic, perhaps, considering I work at a radio station that's actually pretty good.
                  I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
                  Stephen King

Comment

I don't listen to NPR on the air, but I do listen to shows in podcast form: Car Talk and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, as well as their aggregated Classsical Music news podcast. Occasionally I will listen to World of Opera over an online stream.
                    Seattle will never forget you, Electron Boy! - Donate to the Make-a-Wish Foundation
                    Avatar: You're going to LOVE HER!!!!!
                    Σ UFO = Mr. Nail Bat = Geoduck = Big Big Duck
                    You can believe everything I say, as it is based on emperical data.

Comment

I see we have several WWDTM fans here. So I ask you, who are your favorite panelists?

My dream panel would consists of Adam Felber, Paula Poundstone and Roy Blount Jr.
                      Seattle will never forget you, Electron Boy! - Donate to the Make-a-Wish Foundation
                      Avatar: You're going to LOVE HER!!!!!
                      Σ UFO = Mr. Nail Bat = Geoduck = Big Big Duck
                      You can believe everything I say, as it is based on emperical data.

Comment

my evening/weekend job is of the delivery variety, so I end up listening to alot of NPR whilst making my rounds. My local station for it is WUSF Tampa, although WMNF here also has NPR updates. Occasionally I flip to AM talk, but most of it here is of the staunchly right wing variety (or sports).

Comment

Originally posted by smashwagon View Post
                          my evening/weekend job is of the delivery variety, so I end up listening to alot of NPR whilst making my rounds. My local station for it is WUSF Tampa, although WMNF here also has NPR updates. Occasionally I flip to AM talk, but most of it here is of the staunchly right wing variety (or sports).
                          Talk radio in general is right wing (or sports). I believe the ratio of conservative radio stations vs. progressive radio stations nationwide was 10 to 1.
                          Figure Enthusiast
                          Moderator: Comics, Movies, General Anime, Off-topic, Gaming Goodness

Comment

At my previous job--about six years ago--I would sometimes listen to the NPR stream (i.e., Morning Edition and/or All Things Considered). While I did not always agree, the quality of the reporting was usually high. My present work does not allow streams via the internet (wisely, I suppose).

But since the advent of MP3 players, I don't use the radio at all so my answer is no, I guess. I just prefer to plug in my iPod to headphones, my car, or speakers at work in my office.
                            Last edited by Draneor; 03-21-2012, 03:34 PM.
                            Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

I listen almost daily to either of the two NPR stations in Columbus, OH--WOSU and WCBE--partly because I enjoy the programming so much (Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me; Car Talk; Marketplace; All Things Considered; Prairie Home Companion; This American Life; etc.) and partly because I don't care for the local stations' programming generally (or any more than fifteen minutes at a time). Also, I loathe most commercials, and I always reach to switch stations the moment I hear one, yet I don't mind the corresponding sponsorship promos on NPR (odd, no? It must be a reaction to style, I wonder), so my channel selector usually gravitates back to NPR. Now for the times I do want to listen to music and not some discussion, mostly I pop out an animé CD or plug in some animé mp3s or streaming animé music radio station (otherwise, my tastes run to classical and the odd pop/rock classic I catch while scanning stations). Now if only some radio network would broadcast radio dramas regularly (like the old CBS Radio Mystery Theater), then I'd truly be pleased.
                              Avatar: Samson from Banner of the Stars.
                              Nagi-sama Fanclub Member No.0002346

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X