Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioned By Fandom: The Problem With Anime Is The Fans

Widgets Magazine
    “Well, yeah, but not*me.” Therein lies the rub with the question about blaming the ills of anime, or any medium, on its fans. It also has to do a bit with what kind of fans you tend to keep company with. The Angry Fan is a constant in all our lives and across all kinds […]

More...
    Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Re: Questioned By Fandom: The Problem With Anime Is The Fans

I do find it difficult to deal with the modern anime fan. They are never content. Always grasping for something to complain about. Be it a western social justice issue that Japan typically would give no shits about or some seemingly off the wall plot device that doesn't make sense to them because they never payed any attention in high school. There's also the ever sinking level of discourse. Leaving the bubble of civility that is TFP, you get the sense that most anime fans are hate-filled egomaniacs with entitlement oozing out of every pore. Places like 4chan you just pass it off as if everyone's just trying too hard to be edgy or ironic with their bullshit, but it starts to worry me when the toxicity in your typical ANN discussion tends to exceed even that. I wouldn't want to meet an anime fan in a dark alley. Woe be to me if they find out I have shit taste or I forgot to check some kind of privilege.
    Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Re: Questioned By Fandom: The Problem With Anime Is The Fans

I find that most people I know are actually surprised to find out that I am an anime fan. I have a lot of real life friends, but very few I can "geek out" over animation with. I have been to a few conventions, and that is nice, I would say that most anime fans I have met have been friendly and enthusiastic, not at all the angry entitled person. I considered joining an anime club a few months ago, but after talking with them a while, I realized that their taste was leaning towards serialized shonen action, which does not overlap my taste too often. I do feel like most people here at TFP actually do have similar tastes though.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X