Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioned By Fandom: Moe Ruin(s/ed) Anime

Widgets Magazine
    Man, what do people have against Moe? He’s just trying to run a business… Okay, so that’s not what the question that was asked about. The question is about “moe” in the anime/manga world. First, definition time! A Japanese slang term (ironically, first employed by otaku) used to refer to the fetish for or sexual […]

More...
    Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Re: Questioned By Fandom: Moe Ruin(s/ed) Anime

The way people have talked about Moe ruining anime is pretty much funny because if there was any truth to it then Moe would have killed anime decades ago. So the only explanation I have is Moe is actually a 60s Batman villain using an elaborate scheme to destroy anime, but leaves each time allowing anime to escape.

In any case, anime is going to go through phases where certain trends happen more often than not. We are also living in an era where things get labeled to explain them. Labels are good for quick identification, but sometimes there's more to a character than just the label.

I suppose it also depends on what people want to see. People who find for example "Space Stories" to be exciting wouldn't mind a season with several Space Based Stories, but if they hate stories about Outer Space then a season with quite a few in them would bother them.

Personally speaking I'd rather have the current trends we have then the old trend where anime was marketed as violence for the sake of violence & gore for the sake of gore. Not that having such series is automatically bad, but let's just say those old ads back during the 80s & 90s felt desperate.
    "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
    Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Re: Questioned By Fandom: Moe Ruin(s/ed) Anime

Moe is not or has not ruined anime. Moe has pretty much been with anime since anime started. One of the key feature of anime is getting attached to the characters, and one of the best ways to do that draw the characters in a cute or appealing way. Look at Astro boy his design was that of an small innocent boy. Why not make him some rough and tough robot; because, the audience would not feel as much of an attachment to the character.

I think the main reason moe is hated now is because it moved from being a single part of a show to it own genre of anime. The moe genre has made good money for Japan so it only natural that they would make many moe shows each season. This has lead to the older anime fans saying that anime is dying or being ruined. Moe was the big thing the last several years because of its popularity and its a proven money maker. Eventually another genre will replace it and we will have multiple shows of that genre each season. Will that genre ruin the industry too? Most likely not.

While I can see someone being unhappy that moe is huge in today's anime industry to say it is ruining anime is crazy. If anything moe helped keep the industry going though the bad economy these last few years.
      Avatar: Haruka from Sakura Trick

Comment

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X