Widgets Magazine

Questioned By Fandom: Does Anime Need Saving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioned By Fandom: Does Anime Need Saving?

Widgets Magazine
    After finishing out our thirty day challenges for comic books and movies*(and having done an anime one back in 2011 when we started the site), I posed the question to some of the staff to provide me with “controversial” anime statements to look at to round out December. I’ve gotten a few of them in […]

More...
    Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Re: Questioned By Fandom: Does Anime Need Saving?

I think this one is seen as more complicated or complex than I think it is. As with any cultural pursuit, "saving anime" is only short for "save anime from anime I don't like". It's a cultural identity issue. The concern about one genre dominating gets to it closest, in fact. Fans who see anime in any number of narrow, very personal ways, and who tie their identities to whatever that is, predictably react strongly and negatively when something comes along--a new genre, a different characterization, a new kind of fan--that is markedly different enough to make them feel that their ideas of anime--and therefore their identities--are threatened. Even if they're not. Even if their lot is, on balance, improved by the incursion.

Anime fans should be pleased their medium is so culturally, and financially, minor, and count their blessings. This same issue in gaming became this year a very public and ugly international news story, one of the most public culture wars outside of politics (or sports) that I've seen.
    Last edited by bctaris; 12-01-2014, 12:59 PM.
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
    Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Anime needs saving from the people who complain anime needs saving. That's about my thoughts on the matter. There's something for every type of fan you just need to look. I'm loving Shirobako this season which is a bit more outside the comfort zone of many by being more true to life in the characters and situations it deals with, and the same with Ping Pong a while back; though obviously both have fantastic elements too. There are unique titles just not as many proportionally to fanservice romps, but them's the breaks.
      My Anime List - My Collection
      Avatar: Kirino Kousaka & Ruri "Kuro Neko" Gokou from the anime Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo).
      Adroc Thurston - "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."
      Anemone - "So many faces looking like they're thinking even though they're not. So disgusting."

Comment

Anime only needs to be saved from rogue directors who twist particular works into abominations that appeal to a completely different demographic than what the source material did. Other than that I'm finding more to like nowadays than I ever have in the past.
        Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Anime is fine. Even if it were not, the only people that could save it are the japanese. While every year has its share of copycat un-originals, there has been so much quality in the last few years, it is truly a great time to be.

Comment

With more and more people getting exposed to anime. And anime being recognized all over the world, i doubt it needs saving.
            Australia SMSF

Comment

On an individual level or general? Individually there will always be series that fail. On a general level, I'm not really sure what is needed for a market to be sustained. Like the number of series that need to be successful for there to be enough success across the board to make anime viable.

As for how to save it? The thing is a lot of our ideas are either going to boil down to common sense that anyone could give or our own personal biases which boil down to make what we want. Although to be fair if the only way for an industry to succeed is to never make anything you want then it's already dead in a sense.
              "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
              Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X