Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Anime TV Series Get Cancelled?

Widgets Magazine
    The fall season has been underway for both anime and Hollywood and as much as I do follow anime, I follow the Hollywood side just as much. So far this season, the cancellation wagon has been pretty light with only two casualties in the first month or so with*Lucky 7*and*We Are Men. Neither are surprises, [...]

More...
    Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Re: Should Anime TV Series Get Cancelled?

Considering how rare a conclusive ending is in anime anyways, would we even notice if a show got cancelled?

Comment

An interesting question. They won't be doing anything like that any time soon, however, because they don't really have the "infrastructure," so to speak, to deal with early cancellations. What programming would run in the place of the cancelled shows? If you have 8 slots open having cancelled a show after episode 3 (and presumably allowing episode 4 to run as it is already completed and you have nothing else to show there), what do you run? (No, don't answer "Haurhi's Endless Eight "). They don't really have the options in place at the moment, so they would first need to plan what would run in the place of cancelled shows before even doing such.

As for shows that should have been cancelled, I think Dog&Scissors should have been nuked from orbit, let alone cancelled, last season. From the current season, I think Wanna Be the Strongest in The World should have been canned after its first episode.

The only drawback to cancelling anime shows, were Japan to follow the US model, is that it gives the shows and the writing staffs no chance to recover from a bad start, which does happen in anime quite often. Shows that have a boring or unimaginative first three to four episodes, but bring out their hook for the audience in episode 5. So it's probably not so bad a thing that anime does not work this way. And we all have our own way of "cancelling" anime: we stop watching a show when it clearly sucks for us.
      Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
      Scratchy for Tama is angry.
      Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
        The only drawback to cancelling anime shows, were Japan to follow the US model, is that it gives the shows and the writing staffs no chance to recover from a bad start, which does happen in anime quite often.
        It does, doesn't it? I almost think that its deliberate seasonal (12-13 episode) format, combined with the norm being a single-cour run, has something to do with it. A show in that restraint can be structured out in a standard three-act narrative (where the second act rights the ship most often) instead of the somewhat open-ended format of at least American TV where producers and writers are trying either to run indefinitely (which some anime, of course, also does) or, nowadays, try to hit some sweet spot deal for 5-7 seasons. If there isn't a big hook in the very beginning, creators can't bank on their ship-righting second act taking place in the third season if they want to continue. Even American cable and premium channel TV, where all the innovation is supposed to be, still shoots for multiple seasons from the beginning. I suppose we have to look to the British model, right? Where you have shows created to run in 3-6 episode runs. (Of course, how is the TV schedule run there? Similar seasonal lineups like Japan? And do they deal with cancellation?)

For the question, I don't know, really, for this season.

I might have cancelled The Fam Show after its first cour, however.
        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
        Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
        Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Weren't Gestalt and Candidate for Goddess, a.k.a. Pilot Candidate, cancelled? I think the former actually had some potential, the latter not so much.

A series which I think should have been cancelled early on is Brain Powerd.
          Last edited by scottbernard; 10-18-2013, 01:17 AM.

Comment

I think series based on weekly manga should be temporarily cancelled occasionally due to the fact that too much bad filler can turn away a loyal fanbase very quickly.
            Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

I wouldn't want cancellations unless it was also met with the Hollywood thing where like 90% of shows that aren't canceled get another season. Really though, I think it's fine the way it is. Some shows I love would be completely wrecked by this and I'd rather just stick with what I have and know I like than go on a wing for some new broadcasting method.
              Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
              The only drawback to cancelling anime shows, were Japan to follow the US model, is that it gives the shows and the writing staffs no chance to recover from a bad start, which does happen in anime quite often.
              One good thing though is that the anime thing of putting your worst foot forward would probably die. Not saying everything needs a non-stop awesome first episode, but too many series don't even present something that would suggest why you should even bother to sticking around.

It's just you either read the manga so you know that good stuff is coming or you've seen enough anime to know that making a good first impression simply isn't a concept or ideal a lot of anime teams believe in.
              Last edited by sickvisionz; 10-18-2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post
                I think series based on weekly manga should be temporarily cancelled occasionally due to the fact that too much bad filler can turn away a loyal fanbase very quickly.
                I for one avoid watching anime of manga that i am reading and yes fillers is the main reason for that. Like fairy tale was cancelled for a brief season but have announced to start again.
                atlantarhinoplastycritic

Comment

I'd hate this because if it was like Hollywood they would cancel both the worst 10%, the best 10%, and the not-best but original 10%.

Gankutsuou? Too weird. Aria? Too snoozy. Hidamari Sketch? Too artsy.

We'd get more and more safe, middle-of-the-road shows. Say hello to more Needless!

(Though in Needless I did find it highly amusing that the little kid's super power was

Spoiler ->that he wasn't a complete idiot like all of the fighters were. Shades of The Tick.

Comment

I would not want any of the shows to be cancelled no matter how crappy they are.
                    best robot vacuum

Comment

Sure, why not.

Comment

TL;DR No. It happens though, just in a different way.

To answer the question, no. I don't like it here any more than I like it there. Admittedly, it does happen with anime. To my memory, Mobile Suit Gundam, Rurouni Kenshin, and The Big O were all cancelled in some form of fashion. I think that in the end, we see shows in Japan get a chance to run their course, see if they catch on later (such is the case for "Kill Me Baby"), and order more episodes as needed. We can also see that in the case of long running shows like Fairy Tale; it wasn't cancelled at all, yet it ended mid-story because it caught up to the manga. It's like cancellation, without the stigma of being a failed show.
                        My Anime Blog
                        My Game Blog

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine
                        Working...
                        X