Widgets Magazine

Questioning Fandom: What ‘Macross’ Series Would You Rescue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioning Fandom: What ‘Macross’ Series Would You Rescue?

Widgets Magazine
    Sometimes it seems like things just come together in the right way. On the same day that an interview*we gave with the local paper that went back to how I got into anime, the folks at Kotaku reminded*me that the series that got me into all of this is one of the more problematic ones [...]

More...
    Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Re: Questioning Fandom: What ‘Macross’ Series Would You Rescue?

I'd selfishly pick the Frontier TV series because it's the only canon Macross installment I don't already own on Blu-ray (I'm already counting the upcoming Plus and FB7 BDs as part of my collection because I pre-ordered them). I've thought of buying the singles, but I keep hoping for a boxset re-release.

I also think it's such an entertaining, lavishly-produced show that it would draw newer anime fans who don't have any familiarity with the franchise.
    Last edited by Zhou; 03-15-2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Um. All of them? I haven't seen anything beyond the original, and I'd very much like to. I suppose if I was really forced to choose, I would pick Macross Frontier because it's new and slick and would probably be a big seller.

Comment

Macross 7

Sure, the concept might sound silly (music can save the galaxy!), but at the same time Macross 7 is the most-concentrated example of Macross' general theme of war & music, and gives the universe some of its most memorable characters... The fact that it also housed the best music in the entire franchise also helps.
        Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
        Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

I can't really decide between 7 and Frontier. I want both really badly as well as all the movies & OVAs associated with them.
          Honestly, if anything Macross (outside the original series, Plus and II at this point) was released in the US, I'd pick it up. I've loved everything I've seen from it and would pay a lot for it.

So why is there still legal troubles outside Japan with this property anyways? Is HG still touting that they own all of Macross even if it was just made and nobody wants to fight them on it still?
          I love my sons Lucas & Joseph!
          - My Anime List - My PSN Profile -

Comment

Must...control...rage...against...Harmony Gold...or as I like to think of it, the Spawn of Satan.

Aside from the obvious answer: "All of them," I'd have to say Macross, Do You Remember Love? with the Flashback additions. What many forget is that the original Macross series was done on the cheap, and on the fly. As great as it was, it didn't come close to reaching the artistic level that was capable at that time. After it became a smash, with plenty of budget, they made DYRL, and it's just..wow. Even today, it's gorgeous.

It is a travesty that HG's greed and stupidity has messed this up for fans around the world.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

All I really know is the original series. I'd love to see DYRL someday.
              Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
                Must...control...rage...against...Harmony Gold...or as I like to think of it, the Spawn of Satan.
                I think you're being too generous here, but I can't find my copy of Dante's Inferno to look up the details of the deepest circle of Hell--to which Harmony Gold should be consigned.

For my part, I'm only familiar with the original Macross, Macross Plus, and Macross Frontier, so the opinions here about the other iterations are definitely helpful to me. That said, I still remember the day and time and con at which I first saw the "Deculture" promotional episode of Macross Frontier and left with the music repeating in my ears, absolutely thrilled, so my vote is for the lavish, stunning, wonderful Macross Frontier television series! (Though I would like the entire Frontier corpus, preferably.)
                Last edited by SleepyDog; 03-16-2013, 01:33 AM. Reason: Proofreading is tricky even when I try to pay attention.
                Avatar: Samson from Banner of the Stars.
                Nagi-sama Fanclub Member No.0002346

Comment

I'm in the same boat as ProvidenceBreaker in that what I know best is the original series (and even then I know the Robotech version of that better than the original Macross), but if I had to pick, I'd say Macross 7. Of course, if I had my druthers, I'd just choose them all and be greedy
                  Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/JoshuaBegley1 and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BegleyWriter/

Comment

My vote goes to Frontier and Zero. The only rescuing 7 needs is from itself; very little about it clicked with me.
                    "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Luis A. Cruz, blog | Anime Reviews
                    Lupin III Encyclopedia | Anime Video Game Resource Center

Comment

Macross: Do You Remember Love? is the title I most want to see rescued, followed by Macross Zero.

Comment

Setting aside my willingness to import and lack of major need for subtitles, both of which kind of level the playing field for me, of the various installments out there I would have to pick DYRL as the installment to be rescued. It's the most worthwhile installment in the entire franchise, in my opinion, and also that in the unlikely event that someone managed to figure out exactly how to make it happen, all of the others should then be easier.

It's a shame that the domestic industry started its decline in the midst of the legal wrangling in Japan that ultimately sorted out that Harmony Gold's claim to the franchise was bullshit, otherwise I'm sure someone would have called them out on it and taken them to court and won easily. There's just not the money or the will these days to do so, and so we're left with a situation where none of the existing U.S. studios can license anything because they aren't in a position to fight a battle first (despite the fact that they'd win), and Harmony Gold isn't doing anything with the franchise except sitting on it because they legally can't do anything new with it, and as completely petty and worthless human beings are unable to admit to that and just let someone else have a go or, at the very least, insert themselves halfway and claim co-production status and a portion of the profits. I still think it's a shame that Frank Agrama ended up not having to serve any jail time despite being convicted of tax fraud, thanks to an Italian amnesty law that covers sentences of three years or less. Not that that would have helped the Macross situation at all, but it would have made me feel better (and, fundamentally, would have been the right thing to do, in addition to the money he has to pay, which no doubt he will weasel out of if he hasn't already).
                        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                        Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I've only seen Frontier so that's the one I'd vote for.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine
                          Working...
                          X