Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 Day Book Challenge Day 15: Your Favorite Science Fiction Series

Widgets Magazine
    With this question, we’re going to split it into a few areas so people aren’t...

More...
    Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

I'm a huge fan of Dune, too . . .but everyone's already read that. So I'm going to go with Anne McCaffrey's Crystal Singer.

Oddly enough, I'm not a fan of her Pern series. I want to like it, but . . .it just never managed to hook me. Crystal Singer, on the other hand, was great.

The main character starts the novel as an opera singer. Or,
    rather, that's what she wanted to be. But after her failing her final voice trials in college, she decides to make a radical career change.

The rest of the book book has a strong slice-of-life dynamic, as she applies to join the mysterious Heptite Guild. A surprisingly tiny guild, they specialize in mining the exotic crystals of Ballybran. No one knows much about them, other than that even the rookie members seem to be fabulously wealthy . . .and that they're always looking for fresh recruits with perfect pitch.

No monsters, no galactic conspiracies - just the protagonist's first days with the guild. Making friends with the other new members, learning to cut (or "sing") crystal, going in search of her first claim . . .

Come to think of it, I really should re-read it soon.
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

As for favorite sf/fantasy title? I'm probably going to go with Madeline L'engle's A Wrinkle in Time. Looking back, it makes perfect sense that it's from the 1960s - IT is right out of a B-movie from that era. Even enjoyed the relatively recent movie adaptation with Oprah - shame we're not going to Proginoskes on the big screen any time soon, though.
      "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X