Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are You Reading?

Widgets Magazine
    So what is everyone reading? Anything good? Atrociously bad? Or wonderfully awful, a la a "good" B-movie?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Re: What Are You Reading?

Well, I finally forced myself to finish Girl on the Train while on a NyQuil daze. I can highly recommend never reading the novel; it's nothing but an amalgamation of female cliches pretending to be Gone Girl. I'm just thankful it was a free early reader that I read and not something I wasted money on.

I haven't decided what to read next. I've two Spice & Wolf light novels, the Certain Magical Index 1 light novel, and Tad Williams latest Bobby Dollar novel. There's a couple more A Lee Martinez books I need to read as well. Basically, I've a huge backlog of books to rival my anime backlog, and not enough time or motivation to go through either.

Comment

With all due respect to Alan Rickman — and he is owed much respect, make no mistake — the voice in my head when I read Marvin the Paranoid Android (from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, of course, which I’m reading) is that of Merritt Butrick, best known as the perpetually peeved (and ethically questionable) scientist son of Captain James T Kirk. I don’t know of any actor, living or dead, who manages to do annoyed resignation so well.
      I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
      Stephen King

Comment

I'm reading Outlander. The TV series interested me, so I started reading the book - about 4/5 of the way through. Enjoying it for the most part, of course for me the premise of deciding to stay in the past to be with a man is just something I can't wrap my mind around. I like my modern amenities and no matter how amazing a man is there is just no way I'd give them up to stay with him.

Comment

I'm trying to find the time to read Tanya Huff's The Future Falls, the third book in her Enchantment Emporium series

When Auntie Catherine warns the family of an approaching asteroid, the Gales scramble to keep humans from going the way of the dinosaurs. Fortunately for the world, they're wielding a guitar and a dragon.

The Gale family can change the world with the charms they cast, which has caused some supernaturally complicated family shenanigans in the past. So when NASA and Doomsday Dan confirm Auntie Catherine's dire prediction, Charlotte "Charlie" Gale turns to the family for help.

But Allie is unavailable because the universe seems determined to have her produce the seventh son of a seventh son of a seventh son of a Gale. And the Aunties can't help because they're tied to the earth – although they are happy to provide their delicious, trademark pies. And in the end, all Charlie has is a guitar...

...and Jack. The Dragon Prince, and a Sorcerer.

But Charlie might like Jack just a little too much, and Jack might like Charlie a little too much in return. Actually, between Allie's hormones, the Aunties trying to force her and Jack into ritual, the Courts having way too much fun at the end of days, and Jack's sudden desire to sacrifice himself for the good of the many, Charlie's fairly certain that the asteroid is the least of her problems.

The Gales are going to need more than pie to save the world from an incoming asteroid. But together there isn't anything they can't deal with – except possibly each other.
          The weird thing about the series is that Huff has kind of written it before - its like she took the plot synopsis of her Summon the Keeper trilogy, and reworked the stories with more morally ambiguous supernaturals (such as cannibalistic witches practicing sex magic).
          "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
            I'm trying to find the time to read Tanya Huff's The Future Falls, the third book in her Enchantment Emporium series
            I read that a couple of months ago and enjoyed it. Not as much as the first two novels in the series, but it was still good. I'm ready for Huff's next Confederation novel.

I just finished The Hidden Masters of Marandur by Jack Campbell, the second book in his new fantasy/sf series. It's only available as an audiobook and the narrator does a great job. A very entertaining series so far about a Romeo and Juliet type relationship between an 18 year old mechanic girl and a 17 year old mage boy whose guilds have had a sort of truce for a long time, but would be happy if the other guild went away.

I also finished Jack Chalker's Changewinds trilogy. It was a decent series overall.

Comment

Just finished the fourth book in Seanan McGuire's InCryptid series, Pocket Apocalypse

Alexander Price has survived gorgons, basilisks, and his own family—no small feat, considering that his family includes two telepaths, a reanimated corpse, and a colony of talking, pantheistic mice. Still, he’s starting to feel like he’s got the hang of things…at least until his girlfriend, Shelby Tanner, shows up asking pointed questions about werewolves and the state of his passport. From there, it’s just a hop, skip, and a jump to Australia, a continent filled with new challenges, new dangers, and yes, rival cryptozoologists who don’t like their “visiting expert” very much.

Australia is a cryptozoologist’s dream, filled with unique species and unique challenges. Unfortunately, it’s also filled with Shelby’s family, who aren’t delighted by the length of her stay in America. And then there are the werewolves to consider: infected killing machines who would like nothing more than to claim the continent as their own. The continent which currently includes Alex.
              Its not bad, but I think I enjoyed the first two books (involving Verity Price in NYC) more. Also about halfway through Lore of the Clans. And I still have that stack of Gor novels from the yard sale . . . Might be time to buy more shelves.

Comment

I just started reading The Incredible Tide by Alexander Key, the post-apocalyptic novel that Hayao Miyazaki based the Future Boy Conan anime on. So far, so good. I couldn't find a print copy, so I'm reading the e-book I found online for free.

For some light reading, I also started reading a fantasy chick-lit novel, The Year We Turned Forty by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke, about three female bffs who are given a chance to return to the year they turned forty to change their lives for the better.

I finished reading a recent "duology" of historical fiction novels about Empress Wu, the only female ruler in China's history, called The Moon in the Palace and the sequel, The Empress of Bright Moon by Weina Dai Randal. It was unique in that it did not vilify her as many Chinese historians have done so in the past. She came across as human, and doing the best she can in a world that is less than kind to women.

Next, I will probably read When Marnie Was There by Joan G. Robinson, The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine, and The Marvels by Brian Selznick.

Comment

found a copy of guards! guards! by terry pratchett in a bargain store

discworld's always fun to read, and the city watch books are a favorite of mine

Comment

I've been working my way through Simon R. Greene's Nightside series. Its sort of . . . Clive Barker does cyberpunk, with a hint of detective story thrown in. The plot twists aren't terribly original, but the setting is just wonderful.

The Nightside is sort of a parallel London, a pocket universe where its always night, and anything is for sale. Failed deities peddle salvation in dark allies, while bookstores stock the latest bestsellers from long dead authors, imported fresh from the afterlife. Catering to anyone (or thing) that can find their way in, the author takes full advantage of the setting to indulge in all sorts of (really inspired) horrific imagery.

Comment

I just finished reading A Dance With Dragons, the fifth of GRRM’s Song of Ice and Fire. It’s been interesting seeing how they have to shorthand the books to leave a cohesive storyline for the TV show, how many characters are deleted and their parts rearranged for more important characters. But there is one constant: The young fellow Ser Davos sent away in a dinghy is still rowing, for all we know. He’s just a different young fellow.
                      I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
                      Stephen King

Comment

That’s done and dusted on Joseph Hillstrom King’s novel NOS4A2. And does the Joe Hill apple fall far from the Stephen King tree? Naw. Indeed, the way that Charlie Manx and Bing Partridge (AKA The Gasmask Man) play together reminds me strongly of Randall Flagg and Donald Elbert (AKA The Trashcan Man). But you know what? That’s fine. I think Joe’s learned a thing or two from some other great authors of science fiction, fantasy, and (of course) horror. There’s a scene, for example, right in the middle of the book that echoes the moment in The War of the Worlds when the Flying Machine rises over the English Channel, after a fashion. There were times I added a minute to my lunch break at work just so I could get to the end of the chapter — don’t tell the boss.

Up next? Not sure. It might be the latest Cormoran Strike novel, Career of Evil, or maybe the Author’s Preferred Text version of Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. I also have a yen to re-read a couple of Steve’s best, The Stand and It. And my re-inspection of the Harry Potters is at Half-Blood Prince. Too many books, not enough time!
                        Stephen King

Comment

Just finished Revisionary, the fourth book in Jim C. Hines's "Magic Ex Libris" series. The premise of the series is sort of a reverse Myst - wizards who can pull fictional artifacts out of popular books. The main character is a big Dr. Who fan, who likes to use things like Lucy's healing potion from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. (He keeps threatening to use the Doctor's sonic screwdriver, but it hasn't mad an appearance yet)

When Isaac Vainio helped to reveal magic to the world, he dreamed of a utopian future, a new millennium of magical prosperity. One year later, things aren’t going quite as he’d hoped.

An organization known as Vanguard, made up of magical creatures and ex-Porters, wants open war with the mundane world. Isaac’s own government is incarcerating “potential supernatural enemies” in prisons and internment camps. And Isaac finds himself targeted by all sides.

It’s a war that will soon envelop the world, and the key to victory may lie with Isaac himself, as he struggles to incorporate everything he’s learned into a new, more powerful form of libriomancy. Surrounded by betrayal and political intrigue, Isaac and a ragtag group of allies must evade pursuit both magical and mundane, expose a conspiracy by some of the most powerful people in the world, and find a path to a better future.

But what will that futures cost Isaac and the ones he loves?
                          Think I'm going to read Staked, the latest book in the "Iron Druid" series, next. Its getting nicely apocalyptic, with the main character hoping to wipe out all the vampires before Loki triggers Ragnarok.

Comment

Had a chance to read the first book in A Certain Magical Index series . . . and I'm not impressed. The setting's not bad - sort of reminds me of the Witchcraft RPG - but the writing style . . . Its such a brute force way of incorporating thought bubbles, imagery, and exposition into a narrative. The author even resorted to glosses!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X