Widgets Magazine

I'm getting issues like this while playing DVDs in my new BD player. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting issues like this while playing DVDs in my new BD player. Thoughts?

Widgets Magazine
    http://www.yameenmusic.com/blog/wp-c...rlace-2-sm.jpg

No matter what setting resolution I put it on, this stuff crops up in my DVDs. No issues whatsoever with BDs however.

The image above came from me googling "interlacing issues" which is strange because the anime DVDs I've been trying on the player so far are all progressive.

Basically, whenever there is some quick or jerky movements, the above image happens.

It's not my TV, because when I hook a DVD player up to it and play the same DVDs, there are no problems like this (except if I try to upscale).

I'm no tech expert, so if someone knows something I don't, fire away. I bet my BD player simply sucks at playing DVDs, though.

Re: I'm getting issues like this while playing DVDs in my new BD player. Thoughts?

What brand/model is your BD player?
    Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Re: I'm getting issues like this while playing DVDs in my new BD player. Thoughts?

Nagagutsu...

That's certainly a deinterlacing issue. Even if a disc is encoded as progressive, doesn't always mean it has proper cadence/frame-sequences. A perfect example of this can be seen on the Utena boxsets (including the Movie, which looks worse than the interlaced, CPM release). Some discs are inherently bad and will look it regardless of the player used. Though some players can do a better job at deinterlacing than others, so the issues might not be as noticeable. It could be your BD player just fails at upscaling/upconverting DVDs, which is possible since the codecs between BD and DVD are different.

If there's an option, disable upscaling. Change any settings that might be labeled as "video" and select it; do not use 'auto' or 'film'. btw, what type of connection is the DVD player using?

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post

If there's an option, disable upscaling. Change any settings that might be labeled as "video" and select it; do not use 'auto' or 'film'. btw, what type of connection is the DVD player using?
        I have an HDMI connection.

Anyway, I downloaded the latest firmware for it and it cleared up about 60-70% of the problem, though there are still some minor deinterlacing issues.

I might look into downloading some firmware for my TV later today just to see what happens.

btw, both my TV and BD player are Samsung.

Comment

If everything else fails and you eventually upgrade to a high quality A/V Receiver. Try disabling upscaling on the BD player and enabling upscaling on the A/V Receiver instead (assuming it has such capability). I do this with my Denon receiver and both my BD players and the results are excellent.

As for the present, I can't really add anything new to what's already been said. Sometimes, upscaling just doesn't pan out with certain combinations of components.

J. A.
          Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
          Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
          Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
          Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X