Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing a Blu-ray player

Widgets Magazine
    Which is better ? I don't care how good any of them work online. If anyone knows of something better within the price range, feel free to recommend.
    Panasonic DMP-BDT210
    Sony BDP-S580

Re: Need help choosing a Blu-ray player

better in which ways? Unlike DVD players, BD players don't differ much as far as BD playback is concerned. The majority of the time a BD will look/sound the same across various brands/models of BD players, with the only significant differences coming from the DVD-upscaling performance. Other than the prices between models, or standalone BD playback, find what else that interests you..remote/GUI functionality, DVD-upscaling capability, etc. Look for some user feedback regarding other features; that should give a better idea what model will work best for you.

Comment

DVD Upscaling is important and I wanted to know if anyone had any problems with either player. I looked at other sites, but most of them complain about Netflix or w/e.

Comment

Originally posted by ed_links View Post
        DVD Upscaling is important and I wanted to know if anyone had any problems with either player. I looked at other sites, but most of them complain about Netflix or w/e.
        Don't be surprised if you don't find anyone who specifically has either of those models. There's a helluva lot of different BD players out there and the tech forum here doesn't get a heck of a lot of viewers.

I do know what you're talking about though as I did the same as you at Christmas. I was looking around for a cheap 2nd BD player to use specifically for marathoning long series (either dvd or BD) and as you say, most comments were on internet hook-ups, etc. which was of no use to me as I just wanted it as a stand alone player.

The best advice I can offer is to use the Amazon.com website and search for the specific model number of whatever product you're interested in. No matter how obscure, there's always dozens of customer reviews on virtually everything there. Just keep in mind that folks who aren't happy are much more likely to post than those who are!

As for upscaling, I did eventually buy a really nice ultra-cheap ($69.99) LG 620C BD player and frankly, I don't notice any difference playing dvd's on it than on my main $200 Sony BDP-350 which I acquired 2-1/2 years ago. They both play great. So I think you can choose more by price, quality of contstruction and features!

As an example of what I mean, the LG loads faster and fast forwards smoother than the older Sony. On the other hand, it won't slow motion or freeze frame in reverse. It also lacks audio and sub buttons on it's remote. Plus it also has a more flimsy loading tray but is a heck of a good price.

The Sony BDP-350 has a much more robust loading tray, but it's sloooow as hell. It also will slo-mo and freeze frame in reverse and displays the bit-rate at the bottom of the screen, but it's remote is badly designed. So there's always trade-offs. I assume the newer Sony BDP-580 would be better.

J. A.
        Last edited by Otakufan; 03-17-2012, 02:23 PM.
        Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
        Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
        Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
        Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

I have the BDT100 and it works fine. However, it doesn't upscale so I can't comment there. Really, if you want to research your questions, your best bet is some of the audio/video dedicated forums.

Hi Def Junkies Forum
          - Tends to be a bit Panasonic centric , but has a lot of good information. Their BDT110/210/310 thread is here.

AVS Forum - Massive AV forum, be prepared to read a while. The Panny thread is here. I didn't see a dedicated S580 thread , but there was a S480 one here. You would need to do a search as the BD player forum has pages and pages.

Finally, I don't know about Sony's plans for 2012, but Panasonic is going to completely revamp their line-up for 2012

At CES 2012 in Las Vegas earlier this month, Panasonic showed off its upcoming Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D players including a CEA Innovations Award winner and their smallest ever wall-mountable home Blu-ray player. But size and awards aside, we were interested in what has been improved from the current slate of players. In a nutshell, the new players are faster, lighter, more energy-efficient, with more streaming apps and networking features and offer a new touchpad-based remote control. Also, enhancements to Panasonic's proprietary UniPhier video processor allow for further improvements to picture quality, not only for DVDs and Blu-ray Discs, but also for streaming sources.

From the current stable of four players, Panasonic will offer six players in 2012, two of which are 2D only and four of which support 3D output. The 3D players include the DMP-BBT01, DMP-BDT500, DMP-BDT320, DMP-BDT220. All four Blu-ray 3D players include Panasonic's recently enhanced VIERA Connect app and streaming suite. The 2D Blu-ray players -- DMP-BD87 and the DMP-BD77-- offer IP VOD, a smaller subset of streaming services, including Netflix, Vudu, CinemaNow and YouTube.
          Good luck on your search!
          Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

I've been looking lately to cover the increasingly flaky HDMI output of my 1st gen PS3.

It looks like the Panasonic model you mentioned is the better of the two by far, but as hinted by Gildor, it's recently been superseded by Panasonic DMP-BDT220. I'm liking the user reviews of the 220 the most so far, I might go for that soon.

Comment

I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and it's a great bluray player.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X