X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video projector issue

Widgets Magazine
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for some people who are familiar with projectors to help me out with a little problem. I've got a home theater system at my house with a projector that has a little issue that's been nagging me and I've got no clue how to fix it. To me, the image the projector displays may be a little distorted, because when I look at the right and left sides of the image they aren't straight. Now I'm not sure how exactly to describe this, but I guess I'd say that both sides are sort of at an angle. For instance, the actual width of the projected screen at the top of the screen is thinner than it is at the bottom of the screen. So I guess the screen isn't completely in a rectangular shape, but rather it looks a trapezoid (though that image is an exaggeration of how bad the issue actually is).

Does anyone know how to fix a problem like this?

Re: Video projector issue

Adjust the keystone setting. There should be a button on the remote that says 'keystone'. If that doesn't solve the problem, the projector may be placed at an extreme angle that you'll need to fix before setting the keystone.

Comment

Alright thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by CG-LOVER View Post
        So I guess the screen isn't completely in a rectangular shape, but rather it looks a trapezoid (though that image is an exaggeration of how bad the issue actually is).
        The effect is called keystoning, and the basic problem is that your projector isn't perpendicular to your screen, but is tilted and thus projects the image at an angle. The best way to correct for it, is to untilt the projector, so it becomes horizontal. Of course, that will move the projected image as well, so you may then need to move your screen upwards, or put your projector lower than it is.

Some projectors have a feature called "lens shift", where you can move the lens up and down in the projector, causing the projected image to move up and down. This is a very useful feature, as you get better flexibility in positioning your projector. (On some projectors you also have horizontal lens shift, so you can put your projector somewhat to the side as well.) Moving the lens off its center position will typically give slightly worse picture quality, and somewhat darker image, but usually it will be small enough to not be noticable.

If you don't have lens shift on your projector, and you positioning the projector and the screen so they are properly perpendicular to each other is not practical, you will need to make use of your projectors software keystone correction. This will tell your projector to rescale the picture horisontally, to different degrees (in your case, the bottom of the picture will be rescaled most, and then less and less the closer to the top you get). This kind of correction will also lower the image quality. Depending on the projector, it can sometimes be very noticable. Just remember that if you _do_ apply software keystone correction, it can be difficult to determine if certain image problems are caused by the DVD/BluRay having low picture quality, or if it is your projector that has ruined it for you; all critical image evaluation should be done with keystone correction turned off.

Comment

I did have a lens shift option so I used that. There was no way I could make the projector perpendicular to the screen so I needed to basically shift the lens as low as it could possibly go. I haven't really noticed any decrease in quality or brightness yet, so I'm guessing that if there was any change it was not really noticeable.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X