Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluray Player: Repair or Replace?

Widgets Magazine
    My main player is a Sony BDP-S360 and it's never given me trouble before. Also FWIW, I haven't used the player much in the last 2-3 years as most of my entertainment has come from streaming sites.

Anyway, I watched the first 3 eps of Gurren Lagann (old Anime Legends set) about a week ago with no problems. Fast forward to today, I went to watch the next two episodes and had playback issues. My normal reaction to things like this is to take the disc out and examine the data side. I noticed 3 very thin, evenly spaced, scratches that go all the way around the disc near the center ring (tried to take some pics, but nothing came out well). I'm fairly certain they weren't there before. I then looked at all the other discs I had played recently and all of the DVDs have the same circular scratch pattern to different degrees (nothing on the BDs, as I expected). I'm assuming the lens(es) caused the scratches, since I didn't see anything unusual on the disc tray.

So the question is, is the player fixable or should I just get a new one? I've got a ton of OOP anime DVDs that I'd hate to damage, since I doubt a lot of them will ever get re-released.
    What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

If you have to replace the laser assembly on a Blu-ray player it will run to around £100 in the UK, and I suppose it will be equivalent elsewhere. If it is a problem with the lens, then that's what they will do, just take out the old drive and put a new one into the player. It's not the kind of thing they'll tweak in situ and hope to fix it. With a basic Blu-ray player it's cheaper to just buy a new one. Now if you have something like a home cinema, or a fancy high end deck like an Oppo, I would consider shelling out some money to get it fixed. Looking at the model, it's 11 years old and not particularly high end; it might be better to replace it at this point.

Comment

Yeah, given how old the player is, I was leaning towards replacing it. I guess I'll be shopping for a new one. Though maybe I'll hold off a little bit and see if there are any good deals over the holidays. Thanks!
      What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

Comment

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X