X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPPO Digital to gradually stop manufacturing new products

Widgets Magazine
    https://twitter.com/OPPODIGITAL/stat...37457041661952
    It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States. As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye.

For more information: https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx
    Farewell

It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers' suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital
    Frequently Asked Questions:

As announced on April 2nd, 2018, OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products. Existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital. The following FAQ provides answers to questions that may arise from the announcement.
    1. How do I receive technical support for my OPPO product?

Technical support will continue to be available. Please visit the product support page on the OPPO Digital web site (https://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx) for self-guided support, and use the following contact form to submit your customer service request: https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
    2. How do I set up in-warranty or out-of-warranty repair service for my OPPO product?

Repair service will remain available for OPPO Digital products. Please use the following contact form to submit your repair service request: https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
    3. Will there still be firmware upgrades for my OPPO products?

Yes, products will continue to receive firmware upgrades from time to time when new features or bug fixes warrant such an upgrade. Newer products such as the UDP-203 and UDP-205 will likely receive more frequent upgrades while mature products such as the BDP-103 and earlier models will only get firmware upgrades if there are critical fixes. If your player is connected to the Internet, you can check for firmware upgrades by going to the Setup Menu / Device Setup / Firmware Upgrade / Via Network. New firmware will also be posted on the support pages of the corresponding products (https://www.oppodigital.com/Support.aspx)
    4. I purchased my OPPO product less than 30 days ago. Am I still able to return it for a refund?

OPPO Digital continues to offer its 30-day Money Back Guarantee for products purchased directly from OPPO Digital within the last 30 days. If you would like to return your product for a refund, please use the following contact form to submit your refund request: https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
    5. I am still interested in OPPO's products - how can I purchase one?

OPPO Digital's products can still be purchased through the OPPO Digital web site, OPPO Digital's authorized resellers and OPPO Digital's overseas distributors. As we gradually stop manufacturing new products, certain models may go out of stock and no longer be available sooner than other models.
    6. Will OPPO Digital develop and release future generation of products?

From now on, OPPO Digital will focus our main effort on organizing and ensuring long term support for the existing generation of products. As such, we will not have the resources to develop and release new generations of products.

Such sad news. I was planning to buy a UDP-203 within the next year or so, or else its eventual successor, to upgrade from my aging BDP-93, but this announcement really sped up my timetable a good bit... I decided not to dilly dally and immediately purchased a 203 earlier this evening, and also ordered a region-free mod kit for it from Bluraychip as well. I'll set it up and test it out to be sure everything works, and then probably just keep it in storage except to update the firmware on it every so often, until my 93 wears out or gets re-purposed, or until I eventually upgrade to a 4K projector in my theater room.
    Girls With Guns Avatar: Blake From Team RWBY

Comment

yeah, sad but I saw it coming. Their focus on the mobile market was a huge indicator. Didn't help that their 203 launch was plagued with bugs (with many people returning them) and that updates were decreasing in frequency compared to the past. I still think their best overall players were the DV-983H and the BDP-93. The 203 is my 7th player from them starting with the 971H. Yeah, streaming killed the physical star...They'll be missed. Wondering who'll be the one to look out for when the 8K players are released.

Comment

Mind if I hijack this topic for a related question?

Despite having a large physical anime collection for ages, I've always had subpar setups with hand-me-down TVs, and simply used my PlayStations as players. I've recently started pimping out my setup, getting a fairly good FALD TV (OLEDs are out due to burn in), and a better disc player is next on my list. Hence, I'd like to know which I should go for (I figured the answer would be OPPO, but I'd like to make sure it can do what I'm hoping it can).

Obviously I'll invest in a 4K HDR/DV player, but what's really driving my desire for a better player is that I really want to find one with a great deinterlacer for anime DVDs. Like many here I still have a huge anime DVD collection of titles where it's unlikely they'll ever get better releases, or comprised of all the DVDs that I hold on to because I refuse to touch subpar QTEC upscales. As I said I've been using my PS3 and PS4 as players, but their deinterlacing has never been stellar. I've actually had a half dozen other cheap players over the years (other Sony, LG, Panasonic) and they perform even worse at deinterlacing than the PlayStations.

The last few shows I've rewatched, ADV's original Azumanga Daioh release and FLCL's Ultimate Edition, certainly exhibit the typical problems. It takes about half a second during every scene transition for the image to stabilize and figure out the best way to combine the frames (so about half a second of garbage image quality during every transition), and obviously during motion lines start looking smeary and wobbly, though some players seem to handle it a bit better than others. Full on combing is visible in FLCL's ending sequences or in transitions on titles like ADV's initial Angelic Layer release (I have the BDs now, but just as an example). It's gotten to the point where I simply expect anything interlaced to look dreadful, whereas I'm spoiled by progressive BDs now, and every progressive DVD I own is like rediscovering buried treasure.

So I guess what I'm asking is, do OPPOs (or any other brands/players) handle deinterlacing (specifically for anime) significantly better than what I already have to put up with? Are any players able to read ahead and know how to combine frames before transitions actually appear on screen? I hear OPPOs might have dedicated chips or something, or otherwise excel at producing perfect, reference quality images even for ancient DVDs.

Or are interlaced DVDs simply forever doomed to exhibit these problems as badly as they do on say, a PS4?

The new FLCL prompted this search, as the QTEC upscale looks dreadful, and the Ultimate Edition would suit me just fine if only I could get these interlaced DVDs looking like they were intended. =/
        Last edited by Spoofer; 04-03-2018, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Wow, after hearing about OPPO as the gold standard on these forums (and their predecessors) for all these years, I finally get my first product from them, the UDP-203, and just a few months later this is announced. I guess it's a good thing I got it when I did?
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes | Twitter | Facebook

Comment

This is so sad. I own the 103 and it's the only BD player that I tried that satisfied all of my wants and didn't annoy me. Perfect color space and accurate image output (on HDMI 2 anyways), a source direct output that also functions correctly, good DVD scaling/deinterlacing which I needed before I got my Lumagen processor, and remembering stop points for multiple discs (an oddly rare feature). I went through 4 different BD players before I ended up with the Oppo which I've been using for like 4 or 5 years now. If the Oppos are all gone by the time I'm in the market for a player again in the future, that's going to be tough.

Originally posted by Spoofer View Post
            Mind if I hijack this topic for a related question?

Despite having a large physical anime collection for ages, I've always had subpar setups with hand-me-down TVs, and simply used my PlayStations as players. I've recently started pimping out my setup, getting a fairly good FALD TV (OLEDs are out due to burn in), and a better disc player is next on my list. Hence, I'd like to know which I should go for (I figured the answer would be OPPO, but I'd like to make sure it can do what I'm hoping it can).

Obviously I'll invest in a 4K HDR/DV player, but what's really driving my desire for a better player is that I really want to find one with a great deinterlacer for anime DVDs. Like many here I still have a huge anime DVD collection of titles where it's unlikely they'll ever get better releases, or comprised of all the DVDs that I hold on to because I refuse to touch subpar QTEC upscales. As I said I've been using my PS3 and PS4 as players, but their deinterlacing has never been stellar. I've actually had a half dozen other cheap players over the years (other Sony, LG, Panasonic) and they perform even worse at deinterlacing than the PlayStations.

The last few shows I've rewatched, ADV's original Azumanga Daioh release and FLCL's Ultimate Edition, certainly exhibit the typical problems. It takes about half a second during every scene transition for the image to stabilize and figure out the best way to combine the frames (so about half a second of garbage image quality during every transition), and obviously during motion lines start looking smeary and wobbly, though some players seem to handle it a bit better than others. Full on combing is visible in FLCL's ending sequences or in transitions on titles like ADV's initial Angelic Layer release (I have the BDs now, but just as an example). It's gotten to the point where I simply expect anything interlaced to look dreadful, whereas I'm spoiled by progressive BDs now, and every progressive DVD I own is like rediscovering buried treasure.

So I guess what I'm asking is, do OPPOs (or any other brands/players) handle deinterlacing (specifically for anime) significantly better than what I already have to put up with? Are any players able to read ahead and know how to combine frames before transitions actually appear on screen? I hear OPPOs might have dedicated chips or something, or otherwise excel at producing perfect, reference quality images even for ancient DVDs.

Or are interlaced DVDs simply forever doomed to exhibit these problems as badly as they do on say, a PS4?

The new FLCL prompted this search, as the QTEC upscale looks dreadful, and the Ultimate Edition would suit me just fine if only I could get these interlaced DVDs looking like they were intended. =/
            An Oppo like the 203 will definitely handle DVDs better than the Playstations. Most BD players on the market are junk at scaling and deinterlacing DVDs in general. DVD playback is essentially an after thought so the manufacturers, excluding the high end ones, use cheap processing solutions hence why those cheaper players you tried sucked at it. Higher end BD players from companies like Oppo, Marantz, and Pioneer typically use Mediatek solutions which are pretty solid with deinterlacing and scaling for the most part. Unless it's a really janky encoded disc, you should be pretty satisfied with how an Oppo performs.

If you encounter interlacing artifacts like combing, you should try changing the player's deinterlacing setting from auto to video if you haven't. I find the video setting helps for anime DVDs sometimes.

Not only will the Oppo be better for DVDs, it'll likely also be better with BDs. Most BD players and particularly cheaper ones don't have accurate color space output and they sometimes have undefeatable processing like noise reduction. The Oppos especially the newer models are completely accurate so you might notice a difference there too.
            DVD/BD collection

Comment

they dumped there Phones guess they Stretched To far

this is a Shame as everything iv seen from the BD players comes across as somthing i would Want

they are out of budget tho given the conversion to USD .....

Comment

I currently own a BDP-93, which I previously had upgraded to 6 years ago from their BDP-83. As soon as I heard the bad news, within hours of the announcement, I immediately ordered a UDP-203, as I was planning to get one within the next year anyway, and I knew there would be a frenzied run on the current stock of 203 and 205 models. I had purchased a region free hardware kit separately for my 93, and immediately after ordering the 203, I ordered a hardware kit for it as well. I just received my new 203 on Saturday, installed the region-free kit, and It's now sitting in my A/V rack on top of my 93. Hopefully I'll be set for quite a few years yet with multiple Blu-ray players of Oppo quality that have region-free capabilities for Blu-ray and DVD, 3D Blu-ray support, and SACD support. I would really love to pickup a 205 model when they do their last production run in a few months, not sure if I'll get a chance, though...

Comment

So do the newest Oppo players fix the subtitle issues from earlier players? I still have and use a BDP-93, but the player has issues with subtitles for some Blu-Ray disks where they tend to disappear much faster than they are supposedly to. Most Sentai and Funimation disks work okay, but I do not even bother putting Eastern Star Blu-Ray disks in it anymore (for those I use the PS3). Maybe getting a new one is not a good idea anyway because this does not bode well for long term firmware support.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulblazer View Post
                    So do the newest Oppo players fix the subtitle issues from earlier players? I still have and use a BDP-93, but the player has issues with subtitles for some Blu-Ray disks where they tend to disappear much faster than they are supposedly to. Most Sentai and Funimation disks work okay, but I do not even bother putting Eastern Star Blu-Ray disks in it anymore (for those I use the PS3). Maybe getting a new one is not a good idea anyway because this does not bode well for long term firmware support.
                    I own a good number of Discotek's BDs and the subtitles have worked fine with all of them, all of which I've played on the 103. I don't recall any of them having the subtitles go off screen early.
                    DVD/BD collection

Comment

Originally posted by Soulblazer View Post
                      I have the exact same issue with my BDP-93, and the vast majority of titles I have issues with the subtitles disappearing quickly or some lines of subs not showing at all are with Sentai titles. I had contacted Oppo twice about the issue, but they still hadn't fixed the issue with their final firmware update. I just use the Blu-ray drive in my HTPC to play those titles. But I've been told by anime fans who own the 103 that they do not have this subtitle issue, so I assume the 203 will show them properly as well. I remember the one disc I had the most issue with was Flowers of Evil, I'll have to test it in my 203 to find out.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X