4K Ultra HD Set-Up Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GingaDaiuchuu
    started a topic 4K Ultra HD Set-Up Recommendations?

4K Ultra HD Set-Up Recommendations?

I've had Gundam Thunderbolt since it was released at the end of last year, Kimi no Na wa. will be coming in this month, and I'm about ready to stop waiting for Planet Earth II to get a limited edition like the first one and just get the standard edition. So I better get the equipment to be able to watch those! Specifically, I'd like to be able to watch that Kimi no Na wa. when it arrives, so that gives me a few weeks. Since I don't know if everyone looks at every sub-forum, I'll tag Sensuifu, ultimatemegax, and jeargumedo as they seem particularly knowledgeable on the subject, but anyone with any recommendations is very welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post

I have the same annoyance over video sometimes, too. It's just something I have to tolerate, especially when any device with switching capabilities will inherently have some lag to it when changing sources/codecs. Still, I consider it a minor irritation compared to something like UOPs on front loading trailers, top menus, etc...
    Unless something somehow works out eventually, I think I'll just have to stick with optical for the time being. I wish I could go with HDMI, but I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose the first couple seconds of every episode at this point, which is really infuriating when they start straight into vocals for an opening, for example.

Leave a comment:

• Sensuifu
    replied
    Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
    Yeah, I blamed the Oppo at first because I noticed it far more with Blu-rays, but it's pretty definitely the soundbar, because going from the Oppo to the TV produces no delay, and now it's very consistent that the optical input on the soundbar also doesn't, while both HDMI options (Oppo HDMI Audio Out to soundbar HDMI In and HDMI Arc) produce a consistent delay.
    I have the same annoyance over video sometimes, too. It's just something I have to tolerate, especially when any device with switching capabilities will inherently have some lag to it when changing sources/codecs. Still, I consider it a minor irritation compared to something like UOPs on front loading trailers, top menus, etc...

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    Try setting the HDMI Audio format in the Oppo settings to either LPCM or Bitstream and see if that has any effect. Sometimes a delay like that is caused by the audio system, in this case, your soundbar, having to renegotiate what type of stream it's decoding. You'll notice this on some receivers' OSDs when different audio streams are played contiguously.
    Unfortunately, neither of these options seemed to change anything.

You can also try connecting the Main HDMI output from the Oppo to the HDMI in on the soundbar; and then connect the Arc-out from the TV to the HDMI-In on the Oppo. Disable all bluetooth connections/settings if you are not using it. One issue with this is you'll be using the Oppo as a switch/scaler where you'll need to manually select the input and have it on everytime you want to use other devices. It could potentially cause audio looping issues too, but you'll need to verify this with trial and error.
    I think I followed these steps correctly, but I couldn't even get any video with this configuration.

If you're still experiencing the delay, disconnect the soundbar from the chain altogether and just have the Oppo Main HDMI out connected to the TV HDMI-in. Disable Arc. If you're still hearing the delay, then it's likely your TV and not the Oppo. You'll want to adjust any of the TV's audio settings to see if it eliminates the problem.
    Yeah, I blamed the Oppo at first because I noticed it far more with Blu-rays, but it's pretty definitely the soundbar, because going from the Oppo to the TV produces no delay, and now it's very consistent that the optical input on the soundbar also doesn't, while both HDMI options (Oppo HDMI Audio Out to soundbar HDMI In and HDMI Arc) produce a consistent delay.

Leave a comment:

• Sensuifu
    replied
    Try setting the HDMI Audio format in the Oppo settings to either LPCM or Bitstream and see if that has any effect. Sometimes a delay like that is caused by the audio system, in this case, your soundbar, having to renegotiate what type of stream it's decoding. You'll notice this on some receivers' OSDs when different audio streams are played contiguously.

You can also try connecting the Main HDMI output from the Oppo to the HDMI in on the soundbar; and then connect the Arc-out from the TV to the HDMI-In on the Oppo. Disable all bluetooth connections/settings if you are not using it. One issue with this is you'll be using the Oppo as a switch/scaler where you'll need to manually select the input and have it on everytime you want to use other devices. It could potentially cause audio looping issues too, but you'll need to verify this with trial and error.

If you're still experiencing the delay, disconnect the soundbar from the chain altogether and just have the Oppo Main HDMI out connected to the TV HDMI-in. Disable Arc. If you're still hearing the delay, then it's likely your TV and not the Oppo. You'll want to adjust any of the TV's audio settings to see if it eliminates the problem.

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    HDMI should be better than optical audio in every way, right? Just having the TV feed its audio to the soundbar through optical instead of HDMI seems to work so far while any HDMI option consistently loses the first few seconds of audio, but I don't like having to use an inferior option because of that. Given that revelation, any other ideas of how I might be able to get an HDMI option to work? Worth noting that the optical solution works even with the HDMI ARC connection intact and that setting enabled, but switching the input on the soundbar between the two connections sending audio from the TV to the soundbar causes the audio loss at the beginning for the HDMI ARC input (basically as it had for HDMI IN originally) and not for the Optical input.

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    Originally posted by chronoclast View Post
    The only other thing I can think of to test is to split the audio and video from the Oppo over HDMI to the soundbar and TV but run an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar instead and disable ARC in the TV's settings.
    Finally got around to testing this out. Although I have still gotten some cases of losing audio at the beginning, this does seem to work the best so far, following by ARC, then HDMI IN. Thanks for the help.

Leave a comment:

• chronoclast
    replied
    The only other thing I can think of to test is to split the audio and video from the Oppo over HDMI to the soundbar and TV but run an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar instead and disable ARC in the TV's settings.

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    I read earlier in the thread that your soundbar has an input and output for HDMI. Is your soundbar able to pass-through 4k video? If it can without issue, instead of splitting the audio and video from the Oppo, just run them both on one HDMI cable so the video passes through the soundbar out to the TV. That might fix the audio delay and you won't have a potential audio loop either.
    Sounds like it's not. That was what I initially thought I would have to do before I was informed about HDMI Arc, but once I was, I didn't worry about getting a sound system that could pass through the video content I'd need handled. I thought that the HDMI Arc functionality would've effectively resulted in the same process, just going through the TV first instead of second.

Leave a comment:

• chronoclast
    replied
    I read earlier in the thread that your soundbar has an input and output for HDMI. Is your soundbar able to pass-through 4k video? If it can without issue, instead of splitting the audio and video from the Oppo, just run them both on one HDMI cable so the video passes through the soundbar out to the TV. That might fix the audio delay and you won't have a potential audio loop either.

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    Originally posted by t-Roy View Post
    As a test, try disconnecting the audio-only HDMI connection from the Oppo to the Soundbar and just send the audio to the soundbar the same way as all your other equipment, from the TV to the soundbar. You're currently sending the audio to both the TV and the soundbar using the dual hdmi ports on the Oppo, so maybe the soundbar is getting audio from both the TV and the Oppo, and is having an issue determining which audio to use? The audio loop could be an issue, I don't know. The dual HDMI ports on the Oppo are designed mainly for projector setups, where the primary HDMI port with video and audio is ran directly to a projector which generally has no audio circuits, and the audio-only port is connected to the surround processor/receiver.
    I thought this had fixed it at first, because it does seem to get to the audio more quickly if the cable connected to the Audio Only port is disconnected and the input on the soundbar is on HDMI Arc, but once I tested with some episodes that start right off with words, I could hear that I was losing the first syllable even with that setup, every time.

Leave a comment:

• t-Roy
    replied
    As a test, try disconnecting the audio-only HDMI connection from the Oppo to the Soundbar and just send the audio to the soundbar the same way as all your other equipment, from the TV to the soundbar. You're currently sending the audio to both the TV and the soundbar using the dual hdmi ports on the Oppo, so maybe the soundbar is getting audio from both the TV and the Oppo, and is having an issue determining which audio to use? The audio loop could be an issue, I don't know. The dual HDMI ports on the Oppo are designed mainly for projector setups, where the primary HDMI port with video and audio is ran directly to a projector which generally has no audio circuits, and the audio-only port is connected to the surround processor/receiver.
    Last edited by t-Roy; 08-02-2018, 05:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied

What you describe sounds like a delay during the HDMI handshake. Whenever the player does something that causes the connection to drop like changing resolution, each component in the chain has to handshake with each other again to re-establish it. One of the components is likely slower during the handshake which is causing the couple seconds of delay in the audio starting.

What all components do you have and how are they connected together?
    The Oppo has a standard HDMI Out port as well as one specifically for audio. I have one HDMI cable going from the main HDMI Out port to the TV's first HDMI In port and another going from the Audio Only port to the soundbar's HDMI In port. My other devices are connected directly to my TV, which I then use another HDMI port from for its HDMI Arc output to the soundbar.

Leave a comment:

• chronoclast
    replied
    Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
    Sorry to bump this thread after a year, but since there's only been one thread in this sub-forum since this one (ironically about Oppo ending manufacturing of new products), I figured it was probably okay. Has anyone with the Oppo UDP-203 experienced audio not being output for the first second or two after major chapter breaks, like the beginning of a menu or a new episode in a series? Any idea what might be causing this or how to remedy it?
    What you describe sounds like a delay during the HDMI handshake. Whenever the player does something that causes the connection to drop like changing resolution, each component in the chain has to handshake with each other again to re-establish it. One of the components is likely slower during the handshake which is causing the couple seconds of delay in the audio starting.

What all components do you have and how are they connected together?

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    Sorry to bump this thread after a year, but since there's only been one thread in this sub-forum since this one (ironically about Oppo ending manufacturing of new products), I figured it was probably okay. Has anyone with the Oppo UDP-203 experienced audio not being output for the first second or two after major chapter breaks, like the beginning of a menu or a new episode in a series? Any idea what might be causing this or how to remedy it?

Leave a comment:

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Working...
X