Widgets Magazine

4K Ultra HD Set-Up Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connect the TV HDMI to the soundbar's ARC port and use the other HDMI in to directly connect from the Oppo's Audio-Only port. The only thing is, you'll need another high speed HDMI cable. It's beneficial in the sense you don't need to work the soundbar's internal switcher/ARC as much now that the Oppo has a dedicated port for audio duties.

As for setup and configuration, I'd recommend to update to the latest firmware first.

My current Oppo settings (most are on default, but try out what works best for you).

Video Output Setup
    HDR : Auto
    Target Luminance: 300Nits (default). You can adjust this to your preference.
    Output Resolution: Custom
    Custom Resolution : UHD Auto
    Color Space: Auto
    Color Depth : Auto
    TV Aspect Ratio : 16:9 Wide/Auto

Audio Output Setup
    Secondary Audio: On
    HDMI Audio Format : Auto
    S/PDIF Output : Bitstream
    DVD-Audio Mode : DVD-Audio
    SACD Priority : Stereo
    SACD Output : Auto
    A/V Sync : 0 (if you find your audio is off from the video, adjust this parameter)

Audio Processing
    Output Volume : Fixed
    Dynamic Range Control : Off (Auto if you need loud sfx attenuated for late night listening)
    Filter Characteristics: Short-Delay Sharp
    Speaker Configuration : (mostly applicable to external analog connections, no need to set this up if using the soundbar with digital input)
    DTS Neo: 6 Mode : Off

Device Setup
    Firmware Notification : Off (On if you want to update automatically)
    HDMI CEC: Off

Comment

Just to be sure, the Oppo will know to send the audio through the Audio Only HDMI port rather than the main one if it has connections on both, correct?

And thanks for the list. I'll definitely go through and match up most of these. I'm using this for settings for the TV so far, but if you have any ideas of what I might want to do differently given my priorities, that would be great to know as well!
      Last edited by GingaDaiuchuu; 07-27-2017, 09:00 PM.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection
      My FP Reviews
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
        Just to be sure, the Oppo will know to send the audio through the Audio Only HDMI port rather than the main one if it has connections on both, correct?
        Yes; the audio is split between the two ports automatically.

And thanks for the list. I'll definitely go through and match up most of these. I'm using this for settings for the TV so far, but if you have any ideas of what I might want to do differently given my priorities, that would be great to know as well!
        I think those settings should be fine. You might want to see if the ISF Dark Room setting is to your liking, because that requires a really dark room and depending on any ambient lighting you might have, it's probably best to adjust the brightness if you aren't in pitch black darkness. Of course that would automatically make it a 'custom' setting, but at least the ISF serves as a baseline.

You can also select Warm 1 and and turn down the brightness from 50 to between 35-40. If you don't like what you see with this, then try increasing the color a bit.

Play around with the settings using actual on-disc content as well and see how much difference it makes in realtime. Usually your TV settings will ultimately be adjusted due to all, if any, external illumination in your room. So adjust accordingly, especially if you have ambient lighting surrounding the area (from other areas of the home; night lights; devices in front with LEDs on; etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
          I think those settings should be fine. You might want to see if the ISF Dark Room setting is to your liking, because that requires a really dark room and depending on any ambient lighting you might have, it's probably best to adjust the brightness if you aren't in pitch black darkness. Of course that would automatically make it a 'custom' setting, but at least the ISF serves as a baseline.

You can also select Warm 1 and and turn down the brightness from 50 to between 35-40. If you don't like what you see with this, then try increasing the color a bit.

Play around with the settings using actual on-disc content as well and see how much difference it makes in realtime. Usually your TV settings will ultimately be adjusted due to all, if any, external illumination in your room. So adjust accordingly, especially if you have ambient lighting surrounding the area (from other areas of the home; night lights; devices in front with LEDs on; etc.)
          The curtains are pretty good at keeping light out, but there is some light that sneaks in. The door has a window with no covering, but it's one of those very small ones and stained glass-y rather than perfectly clear, so at least it doesn't let in much light. The curtains to the deck don't quite reach the floor, so there's a thin line of light under there. And the kitchen also has a small window, but it just has soft fabric shades that only dim the light. So I can get it pretty dark during the day, but definitely not the perfect darkness that they have.

So I don't know if I should go with that, with the ISF Expert (Dark Room) defaults, the Cinema defaults, or something else. I don't know if any option would be better for that variability in lighting than others.

My Kimi no Na wa. UHD BD is waiting at the post office for me to pick up in the morning, so this will probably be my last question. Just trying to get everything as perfect as possible before diving in!
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection
          My FP Reviews
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I wouldn't go with the ISF Dark Room then. Go with 'Standard (User)'. The settings could be fine-tuned from there, and only minimally since you aren't compensating for light leakage in a very dark room.

Comment

I watched Kimi no Na wa. last night and Planet Earth II today. The Cinema option from the HDR Picture Modes that appear when it's actually getting HDR content was perfect, even though the Cinema option from the regular Picture Modes has some baffling settings like defaulting motion interpolation on. Kimi no Na wa. was crisper than any 2D animation I've seen, but the color richness was definitely what blew me away most. Planet Earth II had that as well, but the level of detail it offered was also incredible. Thanks for all the help, Sensuifu. I'm very pleased with how everything turned out.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection
              My FP Reviews
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Cool; glad to hear the system is working out for you. My copy of Kimi no Na wa is still on its way...can't wait for the luscious eye candy to finally arrive.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X