Widgets Magazine

Upgrading laptop DVD Optical Drive to BD question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading laptop DVD Optical Drive to BD question.

Widgets Magazine
    So when upgrading a laptop's DVD drive with a BD drive, is that the only thing you need to do to play BDs? I have VLC and PowerDVD and I THINK VLC should support it, I just want to make sure I don't screw up whin I upgrade in a couple months. Or perhaps is there a better BD playback program out there? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    My Anime List
    YouTube <- I do collection Videos
    Avatar: from BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

Re: Upgrading laptop DVD Optical Drive to BD question.

PowerDVD is pretty much the only commercial DVD/BD playback program still being updated at this point, but mostly it's all been bloatware features. It might support UHD BDs eventually, but not yet. While VLC supports BD playback, due to legal reasons they can't supply the download with AACS keys. Either follow the guide here, or use something like AnyDVD:

http://blog.bluray-player-software.c...-media-player/

Other players such as MPC-HC also work in a pinch.

Hardware wise, you'll want to make sure that the drive you buy is the right type, i.e. height and connector type. There are guides online for this. Personally I just recommend removing the optical drive entirely and replacing it with a 2.5" HDD caddy for more storage, and then using an external USB optical drive for the times you need it. You can even get 2 TB drives now with only 7mm height.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine
    Working...
    X