Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Technica ATH-M50X

Widgets Magazine
    Anyone know the Audio Technica ATH-M50X?

I would need headphones for:

1. Music (computer)
    2. Anime (computer)
    3. iPod (outside, bus, subway)

Are they a good choice? If not, what would you suggest me to get for around the same price.

Note: if they are not a good choice for #3, would they be for #1 and #2?

Thank you.

Re: Audio Technica ATH-M50X

AT is a quality brand and those cans are in a price class that definitely ensures that you get good audio. My three rules for headphone buying are:

- don't buy the cheapest ones, go for at least $100 or higher - not an issue here
    - get a decent brand that head-fi people buy (that means no Dr. Dre, Skullcandy, etc.). AT is good, so is Sennheiser, Beyer Dynamic, Sony, Denon etc. Bose is generally considered to have mediocre sound for the price, but their noise cancelling technology is excellent - if that's a factor, I'd get a second non-Bose pair for situations where noise cancelling isn't critical
    - comfort, comfort, comfort - if they're uncomfortable or you get tired wearing them, don't buy. If you don't get a good fit, sound may also leak and you get bad quality

The last point also means that you should try them out in person if possible - if not, buy from a store with a good return policy. Auditioning will also let you see if the headphones fit the flavor of music you listen the most to, but it's really only good if you can A/B compare two or more pairs. With that said, you do get used to the sound of whatever headphones you use over time, so it starts "sounding right", and good ones will reveal all the details in the music regardless. Some may be more bassy, while others may emphasize the highs and mids more, but in the price class we're talking about you won't really get "bad" sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywise View Post
      A
      - get a decent brand that head-fi people buy
      Well, the M50x got positive reviews on head-fi so that's another plus.

Thanks.

Comment

Having used a pair of the older M50's in the past, I say it's a pretty sound investment. Very clean, generally neutral sound with a slight emphasis on the higher frequencies. The only difference with the M50x versus the older one, is that the headphone cord is now detachable. Otherwise, they're identical- same drivers, same specs, same basic design. The M50x does come with a good variety of cords to match your source outputs, compared to the fixed lengths of the M50.

Their frequency response is pretty good considering they're intended for studio monitoring. And again a tad bit brighter on the highs, and not as bass heavy. But once you've broken them in, their response curve should start sounding more neutral. They're pretty comfortable for extended use.

As mentioned earlier, try to audition them first, if possible. Then you'll have a better idea how they'll work and sound for your needs.

Comment

I found out they are available at a store next to home, so will probably be able to try them. Thank you.

Comment

And I was able to get my new headphones tonight (after trying them) and I have to say, I love them quite a lot.

Comment

nice choice, definitely a well-rounded performer and certainly better than the overpriced offerings from hipster brands.

Comment

I have definitely been looking to get a pair of closed back headphones to go with my Senn 595s and the ATH M50x has come up a lot. Glad you like it, I'd love to see how well they work for you after extended usage

Comment

Originally posted by Tenkyoken View Post
                  I have definitely been looking to get a pair of closed back headphones to go with my Senn 595s and the ATH M50x has come up a lot. Glad you like it, I'd love to see how well they work for you after extended usage
                  I can say that I can have them for hours without any problems

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X