Widgets Magazine

Finally got fast broadband, 40 - 50mbps. Want good streaming hardware now...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got fast broadband, 40 - 50mbps. Want good streaming hardware now...

Widgets Magazine
    What are the best set ups for streaming TV on demand. I have a good plasma TV but need a good receiver/recorder & cables to go with it.

Any recommendations?

Re: Finally got fast broadband, 40 - 50mbps. Want good streaming hardware now...

Depends on what the source of your streaming is and the type of content you intend to stream. Whatever the answer, I recommend hardwiring your network with cat 5e or cat 6 cable. Streaming HD content just cannot be done reliably with wireless. If you have one of the more modern gigabit routers and run cable to your AV setup, you should be good to go from whatever your streaming source.
    Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Re: Finally got fast broadband, 40 - 50mbps. Want good streaming hardware now...

Originally posted by Gildor View Post
      Streaming HD content just cannot be done reliably with wireless.
      Of course it can.

Comment

Originally posted by Naiera View Post
        Originally posted by Gildor View Post
        Streaming HD content just cannot be done reliably with wireless.
        Of course it can.
        depends on what HD content is being streamed and what hardware is being used. I.e.- There's no way you can reliably stream a BD ISO with bitrates hovering around the max with N. Even with AC1900 you'll need to have both ends (router and bridge) be identical to achieve the most throughput. That though is quite costly, 100x more costly than just hardwiring it with a long patch (if that's an option).

Comment

My guess is we're talking about streaming from the interwebs here...

Comment

Interwebs, Lovefilm, Netflix & Amazon (if different).

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X