Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3's deinterlacing and anime DVDs

Widgets Magazine
    I recently started watching the Geneon DVDs for Last Exile on my PS3 (firmware is up to date and upscaling is set to normal, HDMI connection to 1080p TV). With it set to Automatic under Cinema Conversion, I was getting a lot of combing and aliasing. Switching it to Video fixed that.

This isn't the first time I've encountered this too. Nozomi's Gasaraki DVDs had a ton of aliasing so I switched it from Automatic to Video which fixed that.

I've also watched DVDs without deinterlacing issues within the last year like numerous Funimation DVDs (Birdy, Mushi-shi, Gankutsuou), all of those were fine with it set to Automatic. Sentai's interlaced Ghost Hound BDs didn't give me any issues either.

Is the PS3's Automatic detection just being flaky on certain DVDs?
    Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Re: PS3's deinterlacing and anime DVDs

I think it's the way the discs are authored, as I've encountered the same thing using my Panasonic BD player and PS3 with some anime DVDs too. The automatic setting only seems to work correctly with some anime DVDs on both players for me, making me believe it is a disc issue not a player issue.
    My Anime List - My Collection
    Avatar: Kirino Kousaka & Ruri "Kuro Neko" Gokou from the anime Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo).
    Adroc Thurston - "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."
    Anemone - "So many faces looking like they're thinking even though they're not. So disgusting."

Comment

It's the result of incorrect flagging by the encoder. Interlaced frames get flagged progressive and vice versa, in an attempt by the encoder to optimize and reduce the amount of data being stored. Some anime also didn't have a proper 3:2 cadence, leading to additional difficulties in detecting the frame type. The only thing that helps is to use video mode, or use a DVD player or scaler that has a better de-interlacer chip that can re-detect and handle more difficult cadences.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywise View Post
        It's the result of incorrect flagging by the encoder. Interlaced frames get flagged progressive and vice versa, in an attempt by the encoder to optimize and reduce the amount of data being stored. Some anime also didn't have a proper 3:2 cadence, leading to additional difficulties in detecting the frame type. The only thing that helps is to use video mode, or use a DVD player or scaler that has a better de-interlacer chip that can re-detect and handle more difficult cadences.
        Alright, so it's encoding/source issues with the discs. I thought that could be the case but I wasn't sure.
        Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X