Widgets Magazine

Suggestions for a Blu-ray player that is good at playing DVDs (especially tricky ones)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a Blu-ray player that is good at playing DVDs (especially tricky ones)

Widgets Magazine
    I'm in the midst of a playback device competition between my standard TV and my set-top DVD player (both over ten years old) to see which will fail first and, therefore, need replacing first.

In case the DVD player goes first (leaving me with just my laptop's DVD player, which works in a pinch, but since my TV is in front of a comfy couch, a new dedicated player connected to that TV would be preferable), I'm leaning toward getting a new Blu-ray player to supposedly enjoy the ability to play all my disk media; however, I have read of numerous playback differences between Blu-ray players, so I would like some advice. Right now my animé collection is all DVD except for the dozen or so DVD/BD combo packs I own from NISA and Funimation, and several of those DVDs are rather finicky in terms of which DVD players they'll play in. For example, I'm thinking of my Geneon USA copy of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, which stuttered on all my computer DVD players and only played on my set-top Toshiba DVD player (which is now sickly).

Can you suggest brands you've had good luck with or brands to steer clear of? I've read that, generally, Panasonic and Sony Blu-ray players are well recommended, but what do my fellow Fandom Posters think? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Avatar: Samson from Banner of the Stars.
    Nagi-sama Fanclub Member No.0002346

Re: Suggestions for a Blu-ray player that is good at playing DVDs (especially tricky ones)

Oppo, at the top. Then the PS3. As far as budget goes, I'd say anything above $100 would be fine. There are $50 BD players to be had, but if you want to ensure you're not screwing yourself over with problematic discs, then steer clear of them. I'd say the PS3 is the best value as far as anime viewing goes. But take DVD-upscaling in account, then I personally give the edge to the Oppo. Others might disagree, but for the value, the PS3 isn't too shabby if you're still primarily viewing DVDs. Panasonic, I'd highly recommend too. I've never really had any issues with the Panasonic disc players in the past, and it continues to look that way. If you aren't going to be gaming with the PS3, then the Panasonic would be the better choice. I'm not sure how quick Panasonic updates their firmware, but I recommended the PS3 for the fact that they consistently provide updates, so problematic playback for discs would be resolved in a timely manner.

Comment

Re: Suggestions for a Blu-ray player that is good at playing DVDs (especially tricky ones)

I use a PS3 for BDs and DVDs and I've never encountered any problems with discs not working.

I agree with Sensuifu that Oppo is the best but they are very expensive and unless you're a videophile, it wouldn't be worth it. The PS3 is only a good value if you're into gaming. Go for something that costs less if you're not. As long as you avoid the cheapo players like he mentioned and get something name brand like Panasonic or Sony you should be fine. Just make sure to keep the firmware updated.

Keep in mind you're not going to see much improvement from watching BDs unless you upgrade your TV too.
      Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

I have an aging Sony DVD player that pretty much plays anything I throw at it. The only two DVDs I have problems with are the UK Region 2 discs of The Raccoons Season 1, and Ikki Tousen Dragon Destiny, both of which refuse to play.

I then got a Panasonic Blu-ray player, and that plays everything plus Raccoons and Ikki Tousen, which is great. It also plays back DVDs progressively, so some of my Region 1 anime DVDs look even better on that player than the DVd Player.

A note about Panasonic. It will play all DVDs that are authored to proper DVD specifications. One thing I discovered when writing my on discs, is that some of my burning software leaves out the Audio-TS directory on the DVDs it burns and only puts a Video-TS directory, which is really all that a video DVD needs. My Sony will play these discs just fine, but without an Audio-TS directory in the root, Panasonic Players just reject the disc. It shouldn't be a problem with retail discs, but I have heard that cheapo distributors sometimes forget the Audio-TS directory. I've never had that problem, but someone I know has encountered it.

Comment

I have 2 Sony Blu Ray players and have been happy with both. I only have trouble with some Blu Rays with the older Sony player due to BD live. Luckily the newer player allows me to disable that so there are no issues with those disks.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the advice, my friends. From brief study, it does appear that Oppo players may be beyond my shopping range for the time being, so I'll concentrate on looking through Panasonic and Sony players, for which you all provide positive testimony. Thanks also, Sensuifu, for the link to the Home Theater reviews web site; that will definitely come in handy. If I were more of a gamer or thought I'd dive into such, I would definitely look at the PS3 also, but until I give into my impulses to investigate Vocaloid and OreImo PS3 games, I'll stick with my handful of computer games and concentrate on my video and manga collecting.

Comment

Originally posted by hachi View Post
              I have 2 Sony Blu Ray players and have been happy with both. I only have trouble with some Blu Rays with the older Sony player due to BD live. Luckily the newer player allows me to disable that so there are no issues with those disks.
              Can I just ask the newbie question, what is BD live?

Comment

Originally posted by Just Passing Through View Post
                . . . . A note about Panasonic. It will play all DVDs that are authored to proper DVD specifications. One thing I discovered when writing my on discs, is that some of my burning software leaves out the Audio-TS directory on the DVDs it burns and only puts a Video-TS directory, which is really all that a video DVD needs. My Sony will play these discs just fine, but without an Audio-TS directory in the root, Panasonic Players just reject the disc. It shouldn't be a problem with retail discs, but I have heard that cheapo distributors sometimes forget the Audio-TS directory. I've never had that problem, but someone I know has encountered it.
                Thanks, Just Passing Through, for this salient observation and advice. I so rarely burn my own DVDs that I wouldn't ever think to investigate a missing Audio-TS directory as a source for any playback problems. Now I wonder what my burning software produces. Hmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyDog View Post
                  BD-Live involves content and extra features that can be accessed and/or downloaded via the Internet. It's one of those things that seemed like a really great idea in the beginning, but has since (in my opinion) proven only to be under-utilized, and perhaps better off not used at all, particularly because of functionality issues as hachi mentions but also because of how wholly unnecessary it is. I don't know that there's ever been useful BD-Live content I've seen mentioned for a disc that couldn't have just been put on the disc directly in the first place like additional trailers and behind-the-scenes featurettes, and there's certainly a lot of stuff like being able to play games or chat with other BD-Live-enabled users that just strikes me as incredibly useless.
                  asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                  Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                  Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                    Originally posted by SleepyDog View Post
                    BD-Live involves content and extra features that can be accessed and/or downloaded via the Internet. It's one of those things that seemed like a really great idea in the beginning, but has since (in my opinion) proven only to be under-utilized, and perhaps better off not used at all, particularly because of functionality issues as hachi mentions but also because of how wholly unnecessary it is. I don't know that there's ever been useful BD-Live content I've seen mentioned for a disc that couldn't have just been put on the disc directly in the first place like additional trailers and behind-the-scenes featurettes, and there's certainly a lot of stuff like being able to play games or chat with other BD-Live-enabled users that just strikes me as incredibly useless.
                    Thanks, Hayate Kurogane, for clearing that up. Now that I think about it, I've noticed similar Internet-linked features on some movie extras DVDs I have, and I agree that they seem silly and poorly thought out. If I'm buying a physical collection with bonus discs for the extras, why do I need to connect elsewhere then to see the extras?

Comment

Originally posted by chronoclast View Post
                      Keep in mind you're not going to see much improvement from watching BDs unless you upgrade your TV too.
                      Upgrading my TV is part of the long-range plan, but then that would also entail upgrading my cable TV package (when relatives of mine got a new plasma TV, watching a standard cable TV signal on the new TV with them became painful), so as long as my current standard TV keeps plugging along, I'll put off that upgrade for another shopping season and deal with a new disc player first. I'm used to watching standard TV, so as long as the image is not worse, I'll be satisfied for the time-being.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X