Widgets Magazine

Will using a subwoofer enrich my anime-viewing experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will using a subwoofer enrich my anime-viewing experience?

I don't know what your conclusions are, but given a limited budget, I would add external stereo speakers first, and sub later. in a small room, even bookshelf speakers with 6" woofers can be a significant improvement on built-in speakers over their entire range.

Comment

Re: Will using a subwoofer enrich my anime-viewing experience?

I believe quality 2.0 is preferable to 2.1 in most situations, especially if the setup is ever used for music. As long as the speakers are reasonably full range (they F3 at 50hz or lower) they will do just fine on their own. I would pursue this before augmenting the TV speakers with a sub.

The biggest problem you will encounter is is getting a smooth transition between the TV speakers and the sub. Realistically I doubt a set of TV speakers produces anything useful below 150hz or so, but you cannot run your sub crossover this high because it will localize and let voices leak into the sub itself, so a compromise must be made by setting the control lower. This will result in a "notch" in the frequency response that you can clearly hear once you get used to it. If you just want some low frequency boom in your sound then it is no problem, but if you actually want it to sound better than what you have now I would pursue better speakers over a sub.

2.0 also simplifies some setup issues. Placing a sub is not as simple as many folks think it is, not if you want it to sound good. By having the full audio range in the main speakers you eliminate placement, phase, and frequency time-domain issues that all arise from having a separate subwoofer in a non-ideal room location.

A pair of reasonably affordable slim towers or some good bookshelf speakers would be a better investment overall.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X