Thinking About A Plasma Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking About A Plasma Set

Just unboxed a brand new Panasonic 65" VT50 this week. Awesome TV.

After having it for several days, I have to agree with GundamWingMan. Even after having been on for hours, my TV is just barely lukewarm, even when I go around to the back of the TV where the vent holes are.

My TV is 4 feet from some large windows. Even in broad daylight with the windows' shutters wide open, I hardly notice any reflection at all. Now, if I had a a bright light source positioned exactly in place to reflect back at me, I am sure it would be an issue, but really, that would be an issue with any TV.

It is true that these TV's are not light. My VT50 is spec'd at 97 pounds. When you add a beefy stand, that drives up the weight. Of course with any 65" TV you want a lot of heft to be able to keep it in place, but the weight on my TV is not outrageous. Sure if you live alone, moving it could be an issue, but if you have a 65" TV of any type, moving it by yourself can cause problems.

Another complaint you hear about plasmas is that they buzz loudly. Again, if I mute the sound, go to the back of the TV, and stick my ear up right up to the vent holes, I can hear a very faint buzzing. When viewing regularly however, its absolutely not a issue.

All in all, I am very happy with my 65" plasma, and have no problems recommending it to any one looking to get a new set.
    Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Wow, Gildor! You really went all out! Sounds like you got yourself one heck of an awesome set! Bravo to you, my friend!
      "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."
      ---old Irish proverb
      Check out my MAL list!

Comment

Originally posted by GundamWingMan View Post
        Wow, Gildor! You really went all out! Sounds like you got yourself one heck of an awesome set! Bravo to you, my friend!
        Thanks GundamWingMan! We had a RPTV for almost 10 years and it suddenly died a couple of weeks ago, so we needed a new TV. I had been wanting a plasma for a while, so this was the perfect opportunity.

Comment

Sounds ideal. I congratulate you on that as well. Panasonics are known to be the best plasmas on the market.

I haven't looked closely at plasmas since I bought my DLP rear projection about three and a half years ago. Seems they're much lighter, quieter and cooler now. Excellent.

Still wouldn't work for me though. My problem is I do have a pinpoint light source in the form of my main living room table light (no ceiling light) that's only a couple of feet from my head and reflects directly in the middle of the screen. Barely noticeable on my rear projection, but wouldn't work on a plasma screen I fear. So for me it's going to have to be an LCD or perhaps an OLED when I eventually replace it.

Oh yah, there is one thing wrong with the present tv. The damn fan is noticeable during quiet normal tv viewing. So hopefully, the newer flat panels have quieter fans as well?

J. A.
          Last edited by Otakufan; 09-08-2012, 12:06 PM.
          Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
          Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
          Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
          Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

How much more energy does a plasma generally use over an LCD? Have they been getting more efficient in that area as well?
            Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Originally posted by Otakufan View Post
              Sounds ideal. I congratulate you on that as well. Panasonics are known to be the best plasmas on the market.

I haven't looked closely at plasmas since I bought my DLP rear projection about three and a half years ago. Seems they're much lighter, quieter and cooler now. Excellent.
              Thanks! The manufacturers have really improved the PDP tech in just the last few years. They have have done a good job of addressing a lot of the major complaints that people had about plasmas.

Still wouldn't work for me though. My problem is I do have a pinpoint light source in the form of my main living room table light (no ceiling light) that's only a couple of feet from my head and reflects directly in the middle of the screen. Barely noticeable on my rear projection, but wouldn't work on a plasma screen I fear.
              You might be surprised. I would suggest taking a friend with you to Best Buy or wherever you can see a big plasma on display and have them hold a flashlight pointed at the display at your viewing distance. Check out the distraction the light source causes (a flashlight may be exaggerating things a bit), then move your head around a little to see how far off axis you need to be to not see the light and check out the image quality. One of the strengths of plasma has always been how good it looks even when viewing off axis. Again, just a suggestion.

I was expecting there to be an issue with mine given there are clear skylights overhead and the proximity of big windows to the TV. Maybe its just the way its angled or the coating/filter/whatever on the screen(it is definitely not a straight glossy finish) or both, but reflections are not strong enough to be a distraction (for me).

So for me it's going to have to be an LCD or perhaps an OLED when I eventually replace it.
              From what I read in the AV forums, OLED seems to be the next big thing in display technology. However, it seems that it will be several years (at least) yet before they reach the big sizes at the price points we are seeing LCD/plasmas today. Maybe by the time you are ready to replace your DLP...

Oh yah, there is one thing wrong with the present tv. The damn fan is noticeable during quiet normal tv viewing. So hopefully, the newer flat panels have quieter fans as well?
              As I noted above, my Panny is for all intents and purposes dead silent. I happen to have a somewhat noisy external drive attached to my Tivo (other side of the room), so maybe that is masking things some. But, again, even going around to the back of the TV and sticking my ear right up to it, there is just not that much noise there from any source. YMMV of course depending on how sensitive you are, but I have never even had a hint of audio distraction watching quiet parts of shows.

Let's see, one other thing I have seen some people complain about is the trend for silver bezels on the big screen TVs. Seems to be a "fashion" thing the makers are doing for the 2012 models, getting away from all black. Some people feel it would be a distraction. For me, I have not given it a second thought while watching my TV. A total non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post
                How much more energy does a plasma generally use over an LCD? Have they been getting more efficient in that area as well?
                Well, FWIW, the Energy Guide sticker on my 65" Panasonic states it uses $32 a year in energy costs assuming the TV is on 5 hours a day. Don't know how reliable that is, especially in absolute terms, but it might be useful in comparison to stickers on other TV's...

Comment

Originally posted by Gildor View Post
                  Just unboxed a brand new Panasonic 65" VT50 this week. Awesome TV.

Another complaint you hear about plasmas is that they buzz loudly. Again, if I mute the sound, go to the back of the TV, and stick my ear up right up to the vent holes, I can hear a very faint buzzing. When viewing regularly however, its absolutely not a issue.
                  Congrats on the VT50. I imagine that's an incredible TV.

On plasma buzzing, it seems to depend on the individual TV on whether it buzzes or is silent. My ST30 buzzes some when there is a lot of white on the screen and I can hear it where I sit around 8-9 feet away. I've gotten used to it though. Good to hear you got a quiet one.
                  Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

AFAIK, LCDs generally don't have any built-in fans and not all plasmas do either. My 60" ST30 for example doesn't have any.
                    Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Originally posted by chronoclast View Post
                      AFAIK, LCDs generally don't have any built-in fans and not all plasmas do either. My 60" ST30 for example doesn't have any.
                      Yah, that kinda surprised me when I set it up. I knew that regular rear projections had fans because their large projection bulbs run really hot; but my Samsung uses LED's and they don't really produce any heat. So apparently the fan is there just to cool all the rest of the electronics. Sometimes I don't hear it at all so I think it may be temp controlled, but late at night when I'm listening to a talk show at low volume, it's definitely noticeable on a warm evening.

J. A.
                      Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon

Comment

Originally posted by Gildor View Post
                        Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post
                        Well, FWIW, the Energy Guide sticker on my 65" Panasonic states it uses $32 a year in energy costs assuming the TV is on 5 hours a day. Don't know how reliable that is, especially in absolute terms, but it might be useful in comparison to stickers on other TV's...
                        Energy use in plasmas is also dependent on what you're watching. Unlike LCD's or rear projection where energy use is constant, plasmas use more energy when they're lighting up all the pixels, less when they're not. So if you're watching a letterboxed movie with a lot of night scenes, your energy use could be up to a third less than a football game under bright lighting.

But frankly it doesn't matter. Compared to the old days, all modern flatscreens are pretty damn energy efficient.

As for me, I'm really happy with my present 61" Samsung DLP unit. No screen reflections to speak of, wide viewing angle and damn nice colour.

I figure by the time the LED's conk out (maybe 7 to 10 years?), OLED's will probably actually be affordable and even if they're not; regular flatscreens with advanced 3D in 70 to 80" sizes certainly will be.

J. A.
                        Last edited by Otakufan; 09-09-2012, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Are 32 inch Plasmas made at all? I want a small screen one but the smallest I can find is 42".

Comment

It's been a long time since 32" plasma sets were made. I don't think they even do 37" sets any longer.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X