Widgets Magazine

How wireless is your home hardware setup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How wireless is your home hardware setup?

Widgets Magazine
    Apart from my laptop (notebook), Kindle & Blackberry phone, I still use wired hardware for computers & home theater. Definitely prefer Ethernet cable for my PC>modem as its more secure.

How wireless, if at all, are your set ups?

Re: How wireless is your home hardware setup?

I've got a mixture. My PS3 and PC are wired to my router (my PC is on the oposite side of a large room, so lots of skirting cabling going on) and I have a spare wire stored ready-connected to the router if I need it. Laptop, tablet, handheld consoles (3ds, ds, vita, psp) and phone are wireless.

My PC is wired due to a habit I got in to during my MMO years. Wireless would be much more convenient, but I've always liked dem wires.
    Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
    Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

I would always prefer wired over wireless. More secure, reliable and will always be faster.
      My animé & figure collections
      Hummingbird
      || Tweeterings
      XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Wired and wireless. Dual-band wireless for the HT (N) and one PC connected via WET bridge (G). All other wireless connections using G, with the PCs connected by cable.

Comment

Mixed. My desktop PC is wired while the PS3, TV, and laptop are wireless connected to a G router. I haven't been able to stop getting dropped connections lately with the laptop so that router is going to be replaced with an N one soon. The PS3 connection is fine since it's in the same room as the router but I'm going to wire it soon too.
          DVD/BD collection
          Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

All wired except where it doesn't make sense (laptop) or is physically impossible (Wii - no ethernet jack). I could not get reliable HD streaming over wireless, so I ran cat 6 cable to my HT.
            Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

TV: wired directly to router
              Blu-Ray player: wireless
              Laptop: wireless
              Roommate's laptop: wireless
              Roommate's Nook: wireless
              Desktop computer: wireless (it's small form-factor... came with built-in wireless antenna)
              PS3: wireless
              Wii: wireless
              3DS: wireless
              Sister's smartphone when she visits: wireless

...I don't have a smartphone/tablet/etc... I have a 5-year-old TracFone...
              Online profiles: ANN DVDAf eBay

Comment

The house I'm in is actually wired for Ethernet. So there's Ethernet wall plates in every major room. With that being said though, my PC and PS3 are both wired directly to a wireless router, and the other people who live here use their computers wireless. I have another PC that I don't use often, so it's not even connected to the internet. Isolation! My receiver isn't new enough to have Ethernet or Wireless built into it. So that is disconnected as well, although it connects to everything else, technically.

As other people have mentioned, online gaming doesn't go so well with wireless. There's no way I could sacrifice lovely ping times for practicality. So having the PC and PS3 directly connected is a must for me. Besides that, I'm plagued with horrible Brighthouse/RoadRunner cable that functions properly whenever it wants to. It happened in our old house, and happens here now too. Except a few months before we moved from the old place they ended up fixing it there. Go figure. :angry:
                Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
                Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

Huh... never had any issues with RoadRunner...I'm rather pleased with it. Now AT&T Broadband, THAT was a nightmare.
                  Online profiles: ANN DVDAf eBay

Comment

Not very. The computers, Wii, DS, and PSP are on wireless internet, and that's about it. The 360 and PS2 wired in, and everything going to the TV is connected by some wires, down to this laptop I'm on now. (But it does make a good way to stream CrunchyRoll to the TV...)
                    -dunno001
                    -Here, kity, kitty, kitty...
                    -Moderator for US region, General anime, Off-topic, Gaming, Manga, and Site news forums

Comment

If I can use a wired connection, I will - 8-port gigabit switch behind the TV these days, to handle all the kit there (PS3, AppleTV, Airport Extreme base station, VDSL modem & broadband router, Blu-ray player, Sky box, old Mac mini that I use as a storage server...). Only thing that could be wired but isn't is my laptop, for portability reasons. Another AEBS upstairs uses wifi to bridge with the one downstairs and acts as an ethernet switch for the kit up there - printer, desktop PC, another AppleTV. Haven't persuaded the other half to let me run some Cat5e up the stairs yet, but I'm working on it.

Wired is faster, and the wifi performs better with fewer devices on it. Small mountain of iThingies in the house now that only have wireless, though.
                      maehara
                      animevision - a casual anime fan's daily reviews & blog | lifestream
                      Avatar: Myuseru, from Outbreak Company

Comment

Originally posted by DiRF View Post
                        Huh... never had any issues with RoadRunner...I'm rather pleased with it. Now AT&T Broadband, THAT was a nightmare.
                        I don't know what the deal is with it, honestly. It's like regular outages where the modem can still get some sort of upstream and/or downstream connection going, but for whatever reason can't access the internet. In our old house it was mostly due to a faulty exterior splitter that caused outages in bad weather, combined with a poorly functioning relay box. So after they did the maintenance on the community box and replaced our splitter/wiring, it was good to go. Just this week though at this new house we had speeds drop from 8Mbit down to 1-2Mbit. I was trying to download an update for my vid card drivers, and it was literally going at ~50KB/s... I was ready to pull hairs out.

It also doesn't help when our installer didn't crimp the wires together properly, and one of them came loose, so I had to go in and replace the crimp on it. At least that's something I can fix on my own.
                        Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
                        Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mc-Taz View Post
                          In our old house it was mostly due to a faulty exterior splitter that caused outages in bad weather, combined with a poorly functioning relay box. So after they did the maintenance on the community box and replaced our splitter/wiring, it was good to go. Just this week though at this new house we had speeds drop from 8Mbit down to 1-2Mbit. I was trying to download an update for my vid card drivers, and it was literally going at ~50KB/s... I was ready to pull hairs out.
                          It could be a problem at your demarcation point, if you moved a considerable distance from your old house, there could be another problem on your new local loop.
                          My animé & figure collections
                          Hummingbird
                          || Tweeterings
                          XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Mixture of both.

Because Ethernet over Powerline has now become more affordable I now have most things wired - Receiver, my 2 PS3, BD-Player, and my PC. The only ones that are on wireless are my laptop, my brother's PC, and parent's laptop.
                            Anime watcher from New Zealand.
                            My Cel Collection | My DVD Collection | MAL Profile

Comment

I have a laptop, an Xbox 360, and a PS3 in my entertainment center and all of them are connected via ethernet. The PC is connected via wifi as well because my router is trash and devices connected via wifi can't see devices connected via ethernet and vice versa. All of my portable devices and my Macbook are connected via wifi.

All of my non-networked gear is connected via physical cables. The wireless option just cost too much at this point in time.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X