Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [3DS] Etrian Odyssey V ~Beyond The Myth~

Widgets Magazine
    The latest title in the series about cute girl portraits (sometimes even guy portraits, but we don't talk about them) visiting a really large Tree that's pretty much a dangerous forest. New to the series include portrait customization, voices, legendary names, etc. All of these help the game a lot and might make it one of the better games in the series so far. So let's discuss said game over time.
    I think it's his fault because he was messing around during practice! -Koto (Kyousougiga)
    I also think he should have apologized! -Koto (Kyousougiga)
    And he shouldn't be so weak! -Koto (Kyousougiga)
    Avatar: Nanase Morina of Piace: Watashi no Italian

The First Stratum Tutelary Forest

Before I begin, let it be known I am using the Stratums as a way to divided up discussion. Ie this is about Stratum 1 stuff only or if you prefer you can think of it as Book 1, Chapter 1, whatever you feel like calling it. I will also be talking both in terms of the game's own story and the whole head canon stuff that's games with generics allow you to do.

The Game Proper

I definitely like the addition of voices and like the fact they didn't out right skip them in the U.S. version. As much as I like Japanese voices, I think in this case having them be in English works better because there are a lot of voice moments you can't really subtitle. Still some voices in the English version over lap a bit, but that might be true of the Japanese version.

Jenetta migh be my favorite Inn Keeper of the series. Plus she's quite punishing with all her pun. We also get to meet Lili who just so happens to be a Loli Necromancer. Cast in general is decent. So the game is off to a good start that way.

The race to class restriction of this game is lifted rather quickly. Ie you start off with a Celestian only allowed to be a Warlock or Necromancer., but pretty soon he or she can class change into any of the other classes for a price of 5 levels. Or heck even less. After all if you make a new level 1 character and class change them, they drop from level 1 to level 1.

Almagam Golem(?) was a bit of an issue because it felt like an endless battle. It also didn't help I made a few mistakes during it. That being said after a couple of "level rests" (ie I leveled down to win) I managed to get a set up that allowed me to win. Yeah, being able to rest and change your points is very helpful at bosses.

Head Canon wise

In past Etrian titles, I just named my characters after Anime/Manga characters. Ie in Etrian 1, everyone used Hidamari Sketch names. Etrian 3, everyone used Sketchbook names. However this time I wanted to just give them names without any real theme. Although I do use existing names, so you can find them in some works of fiction. After all many names are shared. Side note, I wish I had done this in the first place with previous Etrian titles or titles in general.

I also had a bit of trouble deciding what party to use both in terms of classes and portraits. So I decided on a simple idea. That I'd set up a party for Stratum 1, then come up with a story line reason for why the party would change in Stratum 2. Thus I'd be varying the party over time. Plus it would feel more dynamic that way.

My initial party ended up being Fencer, Pugilist, Masurao, Dragoon and Shaman. In any case, I am also blogging about each party. So for actual details of what I had in mind for the first stratum party see https://alyssasearrs.blogspot.com/20...tum-party.html.

Note I am actually in Stratum 4 right now, but I'll link to the blog posts for those stratums and talk about them in separate posts for obvious reasons.

I think it's his fault because he was messing around during practice! -Koto (Kyousougiga)

Comment

The Second Stratum Jagged Reach

All right then, let's bring up Stratum 2. Which was a fun experience, having the stratums introduced by narration this time is nice. Same deal as before stratums used to divide up spoilers.

The Game Proper

The big thing here is that we get introduced to Solor who is pretty muchy a busty harbinger and eventually is revealed to be Lili's lover. You can't dare tell me they're not a couple. Seriously they make the Etrian 1 pair seem "tame". Actually it's not hard to ship the pairs in the series regardless of the divide.

On a side note, I find it amusing how my two favorite classes in the game, the Harbinger and Necromancer end up being a pair. I guess the whole death thing was just too good an idea to pass up. Plus there's definite contrast in their designs. You can tell there's a gap between then,

The stratum was a bit more challenging in some ways, but the real fun was the boss. It felt a bit mean spirited. Thankfully I was able tro finish it off eventually. I just need to try various strategies. Against "rest" is very helpful.

Head Canon

Full party Details Here

To keep it short, I decided for the heck of it, I'd have one party member die, another party member run away and then let two experts join. The Dragoon and Shaman gets replaced by a Botanist and a Warlock because why not. Party changes and justifications will get more outlandish later.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X